Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"I just wanna drink beer and train like an animal"

• 15-04-2013 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭

New log time. Wasn't great with updating the old one so reckon starting afresh could give me a bit of motivation in that regard. I've made some ok progress over the last 12 months but have had trouble putting together good, solid consistent 6 month stretches of training and that needs to change.

Highlights (and lowlights) of the the last 6 months have included : a 17:06 5km at Malahide, a 28:24 5mile down in Wexford and yesterdays 37:05 10k at the GIR. That last result is pissing me off as I know deep down I could have run better. I definitely struggle with mental lapses in races and yesterday was a perfect example. Lost focus and pretty much jogged in to the finish line.

The next 6 months is gonna include a good few races until early July leading into a build up for a sub 2:45 marathon attempt in Budapest in October. along the way I wanna run sub 35 10k, sub 16:40 5k and generally harden up so what happened yesterday doesn't happen again.

Oh- I have one more thing I'm going to include in this log. I've suffered from panic attacks most of my adult life and they can be a big pain in the a$$ when it comes to hard workouts and running. I'm going to call them out in this log and document the impact they have on the training and racing for two reasons 1) I actually think logging them will help deal with them and 2) There might be others out there who suffer from them and if they do maybe seeing that they aren't alone will help to some degree. So to point out the first one- hit 1k to go yesterday and my monkey brain told me I was gonna have a heart attack so eased off and cost myself a good bit of time. F you panic attacks :(

Ok- thats enough I'm currently on a 10 day running streak so hopefully will head out tonight- I'll update this as I go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

drquirky wrote: »

Oh- I have one more thing I'm going to include in this log. I've suffered from panic attacks most of my adult life and they can be a big pain in the a$$ when it comes to hard workouts and running. I'm going to call them out in this log and document the impact they have on the training and racing for two reasons 1) I actually think logging them will help deal with them and 2) There might be others out there who suffer from them and if they do maybe seeing that they aren't alone will help to some degree. So to point out the first one- hit 1k to go yesterday and my monkey brain told me I was gonna have a heart attack so eased off and cost myself a good bit of time. F you panic attacks :(

Good luck with the targets. From the Ferrycarrig 5 Mile, you look well set for an assault on that 10k time. And that wasn't the easiest of courses either!

I'd also have my issues with panic. Rarely when running for whatever reason, but I did have one race incident almost exactly as you described. By and large though, I think running helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Today 16/4

With thoughts of my home city firmly in my mind I headed out to run- Boston kept flooding into my head- all the happy memories watching the race with my friends and family. The BBQ's/ keggers I used to host at my flat in Brookline on Beacon St right on the course etc etc... thoughts drifting to all the people who were killed/injured/impacted by this horrific crime. No doubt though the city will rise as we are as tough a city as America has....anyways

11 miles very easy into a ridiculous headwind for the first half (83 mins). Was back in the PP for this one and was really struck by how much the crazy wind was affecting my effort- kinda rammed home what a tough day Saturday was. I was straight in the wind on the S bends and seriously struggling to hold 8 min pace lol! Good start to the week though will run 8 easy tomorrow, a tempo on Thurs, 8 steady on Fri, some sort of fartleg on Saturday and long run Sunday in North Leitrim. Targeting a the 10,000m at the graded meet on May 15 and a couple of 5ks coming up.

druss wrote: »
    . By and large though, I think running helps.

Yeah I definitely agree on this point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

11 miles very easy into a ridiculous headwind for the first half (83 mins). Was back in the PP for this one and was really struck by how much the crazy wind was affecting my effort- kinda rammed home what a tough day Saturday was. I was straight in the wind on the S bends and seriously struggling to hold 8 min pace lol! Good start to the week though will run 8 easy tomorrow, a tempo on Thurs, 8 steady on Fri, some sort of fartleg on Saturday and long run Sunday in North Leitrim. Targeting a the 10,000m at the graded meet on May 15 and a couple of 5ks coming up.

Probably should have took that handy with racing on Sunday :D

Dear wind, go F^&k yourself.

Sincerely,

Dr. Quriky

7.5 miles in absolutely ridiculous wind (again) time= 52:40 (7:03 pace) Nice to not have to bundle up but the windy conditions in the PP this past coulle of weeks is getting silly. Nearly got taken out by a tree branch today- obviously was working hard when directly into the wind but felt fine in general.

I guess the upside to the crazy weather is that it will make us all super tough when we get a (rare) race with still conditions- that has to be true, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I guess the upside to the crazy weather is that it will make us all super tough when we get a (rare) race with still conditions- that has to be true, right?

It'll either kill you, drive you to the pub or make you stronger. Welcome to running in Ireland :)

Another day, another wind assisted (not) run. Plan was for 4 mile tempo down at Tallaght w/ Ecoli- wires got crossed and I ended up doing this one on my own.

2 mile warm up and then straight into the tempo. Half the track was fine, the other half had something of a hamster on a wheel effect on me where you could see my little legs going a million miles a min but couldn't see any movement forward :D. Impossible to judge pace in these conditions so tried to work off effort. Got halfway through and shifted the workout to 2x 2miles as the conditions were seriously sapping me and wanted to preserve this as a tempo workout and not a crazy race style effort. Sensible I think as I hit very even splits

1st 2 miles: 5:53, 5:58
    2nd 2 miles 5:57, 5:56

2 mile cool down and hit the showers.

Was down in Leitrim at the inlaws for the weekend so couldn't update as the internet doesn't exist there yet.

Friday- 7 easy @7:25 pace - Handy run tbh remember very little about it

Saturday- 8 miles w/ 7 steady @ 6:42 pace. Very happy with this run as it was done in beautiful but hilly North Leitrim. Headed out towards Manorhamilton and thankfully hit a nice quiet stretch devoid of homicidal culchie drivers. I just started banging out the miles and felt relaxed and comfortable. Paces ranged from 1 6:25 mile to a 6:55 - runs like these make me feel like a sub 2:45 marathon in October isn;t a huge stretch.

Sunday- Rare night out on Saturday resulted in pain in the ass hangover. 4 miles @ recovery pace as I refused to use my hangover as an excuse to take the day off lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

Was down in Leitrim at the inlaws for the weekend so couldn't update as the internet doesn't exist there yet.

Friday- 7 easy @7:25 pace - Handy run tbh remember very little about it

Saturday- 8 miles w/ 7 steady @ 6:42 pace. Very happy with this run as it was done in beautiful but hilly North Leitrim. Headed out towards Manorhamilton and thankfully hit a nice quiet stretch devoid of homicidal culchie drivers. I just started banging out the miles and felt relaxed and comfortable. Paces ranged from 1 6:25 mile to a 6:55 - runs like these make me feel like a sub 2:45 marathon in October isn;t a huge stretch.

Sunday- Rare night out on Saturday resulted in pain in the ass hangover. 4 miles @ recovery pace as I refused to use my hangover as an excuse to take the day off lol
    the key to running in the country roads is to go out early sunday morning, they'll all be in bed from saturday night, do not make the mistake of hitting Mass or you surely will be run over.
    will be following with interest, similar goals myself.

Tuesday- Session w/ Ecoli @ Tallaght

2 mile w/u

5x 1k 3:19, 3:19, 3:20, 3:20, 3:23 2:30 rec after each

Good session- My weakest thing when it comes to running is reps- I much prefer to settle into a pace and hold it (even if its fast) I especially dislike reps that start getting the lactic acid going. It really didn't used to be that way- I've done a lot of thinking about it and I think it has to do w/ these fu*&ing anxiety attacks I get. I think the reps send my hr to max and my brain doesn't like the sensation when I stop (heart pounding through chest etc) because of this I hate coming to a complete stop so almost always find myself jogging recoveries-

At any rate sucked it up and did these- was very tough but felt really good after it. Starting to feel strong, like the training is kicking in- love this feeling. Great to have company on these.

Weds : 7 miles easy @ 7:35 pace

Thursday 13.1 miles (1:28:xx) w 8 steady

Steady miles= 6:45, 6:38, 6:25,6:45, 6:35,6:38, 6:32, 6:24

Very happy with this run. Trying to add more steady/ longer runs in as I can see how much they have benefited people like TRR and MFF. Not sure if these miles constitute my true steady pace but as they were on the undulating terain of the PP they'll have to do. Happy w/ my strength here and fun to run the HM. Rotten day though lol

• Advertisement

When's your next race? Are you doing the Tallaght 5k?

TRR wrote: »
    When's your next race? Are you doing the Tallaght 5k?

Na- I wish looks like I'm working that day. I'm gonna run that Leixlip Le Cheile 5k the day before then the 10,000m at the graded on 15/5- you racing the Tallaght 5k?

Na- I wish looks like I'm working that day. I'm gonna run that Leixlip Le Cheile 5k the day before then the 10,000m at the graded on 15/5- you racing the Tallaght 5k?

That's a pity, the Le Cheile race is a great one though. Raging it's the day before and not the following week. Yes going to give Tallaght a lash, have you keep the young lads in their place ;)

Fri- 5 super easy needed this as was pretty tired from the day before lol

Saturday 7 @ 6:55 pace very handy- felt really god and was a nice day to get out in the PP

Sunday 2 mile w/u 20 min tempo (3.5 miles)

5:46
    5:41
    5:48
    1/2 mile- 5:40 pace

A few drinks last night an am fighting a bit of a cold so did not want to do this at all. Just tried to remember I always feel better after a run than I do before so sucked it up and headed down to the acres at PP. Bit of a wind out there which made the back stretch a bit of a drag but felt pretty good on this all things considering...

3 mile cool down

Monday 6 easy

Had a great plan for this week revolving around the Leixlip 5k on Saturday. But....our house has caught the worst cold/flu any of us had all winter. <Mine turned into bronchitis on Wednesday- nice.

No running since Monday- thought about doing 3 or 4 easy today but lungs still hurt and still hacking. Maybe an easy few tomorrow- not looking great for the race on Saturday, we'll see though. Major bummer as training has been going really well and was interested to see what kind of 5k I could run

Monday 6 easy

Had a great plan for this week revolving around the Leixlip 5k on Saturday. But....our house has caught the worst cold/flu any of us had all winter. <Mine turned into bronchitis on Wednesday- nice.

No running since Monday- thought about doing 3 or 4 easy today but lungs still hurt and still hacking. Maybe an easy few tomorrow- not looking great for the race on Saturday, we'll see though. Major bummer as training has been going really well and was interested to see what kind of 5k I could run

There's another 5k next weekend in Lucan, if you've had bronchitis forget about this weekend! This is not medical advice, just common sense ;)

TRR wrote: »
    There's another 5k next weekend in Lucan, if you've had bronchitis forget about this weekend! This is not medical advice, just common sense ;)

Yeah good advise- was almost 100 percent sure I wasn't gonna run it anyways....that 5k in Lucan a decent enough course?

Yeah good advise- was almost 100 percent sure I wasn't gonna run it anyways....that 5k in Lucan a decent enough course?

yeah I think so, I haven't ran it, when I last ran that race it used a different course but from looking at the route it all looks nice and flat and should be fast enough. I'm hoping to do it myself all going well

Ok-

Bronchitis mostly gone. Managed to "only" miss three days with it though have made sure to ease back slowly as I'm still coughing up sh)t.

Friday - 30 mins very easy....lubngs were awful this day, wish i hadn't run

Saturday- 30 mins slightly harder -feeling a bit better

Sunday- 7 miles w/ 10 strides ok ok much better run was at 6:55 pace

Monday- beautiful day and 7 miles w/ the pace dropping down to 5:55 m/m by the last mile- finally lungs starting to feel fresher but that virus hung on forever! Hoping to pop a workout this week, race on Saturday then 10,000m on the track next Weds/// all going well. Hopefully in sub 35 shape though hard to tell...

Ok-

Hoping to pop a workout this week, race on Saturday then 10,000m on the track next Weds/// all going well. Hopefully in sub 35 shape though hard to tell...

Ok -advise time lads

5k Lucan on Sunday- was thinking of going 5k Sunday 10,000 on track Weds- might be too tight now so should I stick to that plan or run 5k on Sunday then Terenure 5m to give myself more recovery between the two....whatdaythink?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ok -advise time lads

5k Lucan on Sunday- was thinking of going 5k Sunday 10,000 on track Weds- might be too tight now so should I stick to that plan or run 5k on Sunday then Terenure 5m to give myself more recovery between the two....whatdaythink?
    Tough call. How banged up are you usually after a 5k race?

Tough call. How banged up are you usually after a 5k race?

Hey KC- guess the question kinda answers it for me. If I go hard I can be pretty wrecked so probably better to be smart about this one....

Tuesday: 8 miles easy @ 7:07 pace . Nice evening for a run. Felt very relaxed and am loving being out in this weather.

Weds- Sh&t workout. Didn;t want to do this at all. Headed to the PP at 9am in crappy conditions. Was not feeling like doing a workout but luckily the little man in my head wouldn;t let me skip this. 1 min w/u

12 x 400 @ ? w/ 1min recovery

To add to my general frustration, my GPS decided not to work after the warm up. This sucked as I have no idea what kind of pace I was running or if I was even running 400m. :eek: Just sucked the whole thing up and ran for 76 secs each time as this is what I was planning on running. Got seriously pissed off and this made me dig in and drill a couple of reps- started to get very lactic by the last couple so think I was going real hard but no way of knowing lol...
    20 min cool down
    Its done now though so happy enough to get in this w/o in less than ideal conditions. Also- just to note have been doing push ups and ab workouts for the last 2-3 weeks. I always neglect this stuff but I think it will help :D

Thursday- Nice 11.5 miles w/ TRR in PP@ 7:25 . Great to have the company on an otherwise miserable day...

Friday- 30 mis easy in prep for Lucan 5k on Sunday

Saturday- 35 mis easy w/ strides

Sunday

Lucan 5k 16:57 12th place

Was really looking forward to this race as I haven't run 5k in a while and haven't raced in a month or so... Got to the clubhouse nice and early and picked up the number. Headed out w/ Ecoli and another fella in the club for 2 miles w/u- honestly wasn't sure what kind of day this was gonna be- head a slight headache and just didn't feel amazing- experience tells me though this usually means nothing.

Headed out pretty fast but thats usually my style in 5k- through the first k in 3:14 and the first mile in 5:16. Wind was blowing out on the course and I think it had some impact but I was pretty focused on maintaining position as felt like the club had a shot for a good result and didn't want to let the side down. I went through the second mile in 5:25 so slowed a bit- glanced over the shoulder and saw Ecoli a bit back and could see TRR in the top few lads in front so had a good idea that we were running well as a team. Final mile kinda sucked tbh as I was pretty uncomfortable- no worries sucked it up as best I could (although this is where I left a lot of time on the course) came through the final mile in a 5:45, then put the head down and ran hard the last 300 m on the track - was totally isolated at this time w/ no one to catch so just running for time (and to hold off a hard charging Ecoli). Came in at 16:57 and am happy w/ that but am certain I can take a good bit off that over the next couple months.

Found out we got the club victory which was nice and headed out for a cool down w/ Blockic, TRR and Ecoli. Got some voucher of non determined value and headed home. Good day out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done Dr.Q, great running. If the wind was as bad there as it was here this morning then there's a lot more to come off that time.

Came in at 16:57 and am happy w/ that but am certain I can take a good bit off that over the next couple months.

Definitely, try make that na Fianna 5k. If you get a better day than today the course will definitely take 10-20 seconds off todays time. The fact it was your first race and 5k in a while is also significant as you have the tempo in you legs now!
    Found out we got the club victory which was nice and headed out for a cool down w/ Blockic, TRR and Ecoli. Got some voucher of non determined value and headed home. Good day out...

Maybe it's like 500 euro each! .......... experience tells me it's probably a tenner though and will cost more to head into shop to find out! I might actually ring them this afternoon and see if they can tell me from ID number on card.

Monday- 7 miles very very easy. Legs actually felt fine (which kinda annoys me as usually means I didn't go lactic enough) anyways- got out and hit 7 easy miles at 7:20/7:30- my Garmin is giving serious bother so hard to get great readings (see below)

Tuesday- 9 miles (including 7 steady) In the continuing series "What the fu*k workout did I just run- I ran 7 steady miles w/ a Garmin that refused to find a satellite. Blows. I actually dont have a clue how fast I ran this- guess I just had to do it the old fashioned way and trust the body.... Good workout all the same and felt wrecked after (good sign for me) gonna pick a number out of thin air and reckon I was hitting 6:20/6:25 w/ a downhill mile or 2 @ 6 ish pace... lol

Weds. 70 mins easy. Had to drop the wife to Maynooth due to some car issues- headed out to Carton House...nice run and v. relaxed

Its been a nice week of training so far and I feel fairly locked in right now- looking forward to that Enfield 5k on Tuesday night am hoping to go 16:40 maybe?

Seen you heading out this morning. Loving the new aerodynamic haircut ;)

Thurs- 30 mins easy @ 6:55 pace Had designs on 2 runs today but listened to the body and took it handy for 1 20 min run...

Friday 2 mile w/u, 6 strides

6x 800 m w/ 200m jog recovery (avg 1:15) Splits 2:39, 2:35, 2:38, 2:34, 2:37, 2:37

2.5 mile c/d Very very happy w/ this session fairly short recoveries and was holding 16:20/1630 5k pace which was pretty much the goal. Felt strong but won't lie was pretty wrecked after this... not sore now though so happy.

On a dietary note- I am finding myself on a real sugar buzz lately- think my training tempo has upped and I'm burning through the stuff but am ramming cookies into my mouth at an alarming rate- gotta reign this in...on the plus side- the core work I'm doing has had really good impact- feel very good w/ it and am managing a core session of 100 push ups and 4 sets of 1min planks 3 or 4 times a week.

• Advertisement

Saturday- first rest day in 8 or 9 days. Have a little bit of soreness in around my calf/ tibia where I've suffered from tedonitis before so need to keep an eye on it...

Sunday- 9 miles @7:03 pace. Nice easy run- with a race Tuesday took it handy and not very long. Have trouble not blasting miles which is usually a good sign for me but again need to watch it as I know my body and it needs easy easy runs to recover... lovely day for a run tendon stuff still at me a bit- maybe will have a chat w/ a certain club mate at Tuesday's race about it :D

Monday 35 mins dead easy. No watch and popped a few strides- going hard tomorrow - can't wait as have heard great things about this course- sub 16:40 is the goal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement