Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What was your "OMFG!" shocking moment? (Potential Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

tok9 wrote: »
    Realistically there will always be one shocking moment we've all experienced if you've played MGS.

Figuring out Meryl's Codec number.
    On the back of the game's box

...and God help you if you rented the game :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

callaway92 wrote: »

I went through the codec, 1 number at a time till I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

COD4, MW2 and Black Ops have some genuinely fantastic 'whoah' moments, Bioshock is certainly up there as well.

Leaving the Vault in Fallout 3 - and the entire game itself really - was an experience that no other open-world game can come close to bettering to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

COD4, MW2 and Black Ops have some genuinely fantastic 'whoah' moments, Bioshock is certainly up there as well.

Leaving the Vault in Fallout 3 - and the entire game itself really - was an experience that no other open-world game can come close to bettering to this day.

Even MW3 and
    the death of Soap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Uncharted 2
    when you're climbing the mountain and the monster/yeti thing appears out of nowhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lyrical

Credit to my local Xtravision when I rented it they had a sticker on the back of their rental case with the codec number.

They must of been inundated with calls before they done that :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Lyrical wrote: »
    Credit to my local Xtravision when I rented it they had a sticker on the back of their rental case with the codec number.

They must of been inundated with calls before they done that :P.

Haha, thats gas.

A different era. The internet has given us alot but robbed us of little things like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

Half life 2 episode 2 ending

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Thumbs up for Bioshock 1, Thumbs down for Bioshock Infinite

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The Last of Us :
    When Sarah dies at the start.
    Just sat there stunned for about 5 minutes.

Resident Evil When the dog crashes through the window and Revelations 2 when the first Zombie attacks (scared the bejesus out of me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Exiting the sewers in Oblivion, was my first time playing Elder Scrolls and was blown away. I came out just as the sun was setting and saw the vast land ahead me.

Man, I had a great time with that game. Skyrim was good but wasn't as good as an experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Icaras wrote: »
    BF4 - conquest - Operation Locker - 2 teams of 32 people trying to shoot each other through at 10ft long, 4ft wide tunnel.

Worst. Level design. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to agree with Bioshock Infinite's ending. Straight onto the internet to fill in the gaps - the more I read the more amazed I was.

Getting the
    Highwind
    in FF7 was pretty amazing as was the
    Kalm flashaback

Being
    Raiden
    in MGS2 was a shock to me for quite a while, my favourite magazine (PSM2) wouldn't even spoil it in the previews but left you vague clues regarding the demos. Eventually they had to join the masses who started mentioning it in their reviews but it was a definite WTF moment.

The
    burning alive of ???
    in Jeanne'e Arc was also unexpected.

Too many to count in MGS1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Half life 2 episode 2 ending

That is all

I'd even say Half life one, the ending.

Or ME1.....That choice to make early on in the game.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You mean the one where you have to choose between Liara and Ashley after trying for the threesome? That blew me away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I'd even say Half life one, the ending.

That was an easy choice never liked the guy anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You mean the one where you have to choose between Liara and Ashley after trying for the threesome? That blew me away too.

Threesome? Do not think even bioware would have been brave enough to go that far, alien sex, homosexual sex, fine, threesome..uproar...rabble rabble :pac:
    gazzamc wrote: »
    That was an easy choice never liked the guy anyway :P
    Pifff...you never know could be gay or bi. :P But still I wanted so save all my characters!!! grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Worst. Level design. Ever.

But handy if you're on a low level and have some XP boosts. Just defib, health pack, rinse and repeat. Same with ammo packs but most people use support for LMG spamming so there's usually plenty of ammo packs lying around that hall anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Oh, thank god...it's comforting to know that i'm not the only person who tried that!

I presume you mean Virmire? If so, I wouldn't consider that early.

• GerB40 wrote: »
    But handy if you're on a low level and have some XP boosts. Just defib, health pack, rinse and repeat. Same with ammo packs but most people use support for LMG spamming so there's usually plenty of ammo packs lying around that hall anyway.

So you just grind for XP on this map?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

I never had an "OMFG! shocking moment". You're all like a bunch of young women gossiping about what happened on the soaps on T.V.

• I think the third mission of Homeworld really got me going. I was heavily invested in the plot from that moment on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That scene in The Last of Us
    with the kid asking about where the person inside the infected go and after seeing the bite and being left to sleep alone, knowing he is doomed, a frightened child. Freaked me out, chilled me to the bone
    Also, in Silent Hill 2,
    When you get the torch for the first time and turn around, b@stard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

So you just grind for XP on this map?

I don't like that map, but grinding for XP seem to be its only redeeming factor. So its useful for people new to BF4, that's the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Happened me, I eventually bought it....but yeah...the first time I had rented it....and was looking at a Chartbusters case wondering wtf...searched all through the manual too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I never had an "OMFG! shocking moment". You're all like a bunch of young women gossiping about what happened on the soaps on T.V.

Why bother coming in to the thread to specifically NOT answer the question then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You've probably taken the wrong turn there somewhere.
    After Hours is easily found I the menu.
    Otherwise you might want to play a few more games and educate yourself on the topic before commenting, otherwise you risk sounding ignorant, perish the thought.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Knights of the Old Republic -
    the Revan spoiler was totally unexpected. Definitely one of the most 'holy ****!!' moments I've ever come across.
    Mass Effect 2 -
    the whole first scene with the Normandy getting destroyed. That was completely unexpected, and done really well.
    HL2 Ep2 -
    Eli and Alyx crying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Kiith wrote: »
    Knights of the Old Republic -
    the Revan spoiler was totally unexpected. Definitely one of the most 'holy ****!!' moments I've ever come across.
    Mass Effect 2 -
    the whole first scene with the Normandy getting destroyed. That was completely unexpected, and done really well.
    HL2 Ep2 -
    Eli and Alyx crying :(

Definitely the most shocking I've come across , actually happened to me recently.

I've been gaming for years , but nothing quite upset me on the level of my first encounter with
    a screamer
    in dying light.
    now, I'll chalk a lot of this down to the fact that once you
    have kids of your own, you tend to look on everything differently / overthink what you'd do if said terrible thing happened to you or your family, such as shows like law and order SVU
    . but I found it genuinely distressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Silent Hill 2:
    Pyramid Head screwing the mannequin. Such a mind-fcuk, aside from the obvious, it was a really clever bit of horror. One of the natural feelings when you disturb someone 'at it', you get that awkward fear, and then ofcourse you're more than likely to peeve the people off you've just walked in on. In this case it's a behemoth otherworldly demon man-thing with a giant lump of sharp metal. I had to pause the game and regroup!
    TLOU:
    Has to be the opening scene, right? Fantastic game, one in a generation.

Advertisement