Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Wireless Tech could this be?

Options
  • 27-02-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd put this out there for those that know better, because I've googled the bejaysus out of it and cannot find any hard and fast facts.

This is in regards to the Wuhan Vstar pilot project that is starting up in 12 rural areas.

One of the visiting group from Wuhan Vstar mentioned in passing that their solution was 4G, but there was no further details provided and the conversation moved on.

The most information so far seems to come from this article from the Kilkenny People on the deal.
    “China is also very rural and vast numbers of population live in very rural areas. This technology can send signals over 15kms, compared to the present 1km or so and by triangulating they can really get a strong signal,” he added.
    The technology pioneered in the trial is wireless-based but recent innovations offer much higher average speeds. Used throughout rural China, the Vstar system has recently been exported to Australia. Ireland will be the first country in Europe to see its introduction. While the technology is pioneering its basis is still well-understood and will be fully regulated and within the cautious health and safety guidelines of the state and to international best practice. The technological advances also mean that there is much less reliance on multiple masts than is currently the case.

Any thoughts folks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Can't be 4g, they have no licence. They have no frequencies on the Comreg site, but they could have made an application or be using unlicensed. Have a search around the Comreg site, I'm on mobile.
    http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html
    http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/telecom_tua_limited.551.837.1340.details.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All sorts of things can be described as 4G, including LTE. Actually LTE isn't really 4G unless it's using 3 x 20MHz full duplex channels. Otherwise it's only better than 3G when heavily loaded (i.e. useless for Video anyway) and similar to 3G when only one or two users are in Mast Sector.

4G is a meaningless phrase now.

It can mean anything with Native IP (3G does IP on top of its native data), OFDMA, Flash-OFDMA, Wimax or LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Can't be 4g, they have no licence. They have no frequencies on the Comreg site, but they could have made an application or be using unlicensed. Have a search around the Comreg site, I'm on mobile.
    http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html
    http://www.comreg.ie/licensing_and_services/telecom_tua_limited.551.837.1340.details.html

Yeah - I was fairly certain that the mobile spectrum had all be sold off and so was not available to Wuhan Vstar (WV) to use.

Hmmm Telecom Tua - It got set up as a company the day they signed the agreement.

They were very concerned not to be affecting any local WISPs or Mobile providers and as such they indicated that they would be allowing them to utilize their tech. My guess is that WV would "give/rent" their equipment to the various WISPs/Mobile, so they could use it to :eek: deliver a better service to their existing customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There are FWALA licences, not just Mobile licences. Imagine claims their Wireless service is 4G.
    "4G" Technology can used fixed Wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I know somebody who has seen a document from these guys that seemed to indicate what they were proposing to do.

He said it looked like it was probably translated into English and poorly at that, however it seems they would be setting up a form of WLAN covering the entire rural area. Not so much a WiFi Hotspot, more like a WiFi Hotacre. :rolleyes:

There were speeds of up to 900Mbps mentioned in this document as well - that indicates 802.11ac to me.

That would sound like it will require an AWFUL lot of equipment at fairly regular intervals.

So does this mean that the dogs in the field (street) will know - because they can Google it themselves!!! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement