Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best language for GPS App

• 01-11-2014 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭

I am currently working on a gps project where I have to use gps to learn new routes and save the new routes , I was wondering what language people have found the best to use for gps interaction ? I have been looking into python but I'm not sure if its the best way to go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

GPS app running on what kind of device? Why are you unsure about Python being the way to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

GPS app running on what kind of device? Why are you unsure about Python being the way to go?

More than likely it will be an Android app, I've only been using python for 2 months and I'm not sure whether it's a good choice for this project, it's a final year college project, so I'm balancing the project with other subjects and projects, I know java well enough, I would like to use python but I feel I might be putting more pressure on myself if I choose an unfamiliar language. I was looking at kivy today as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

threein99 wrote: »
    More than likely it will be an Android app, I've only been using python for 2 months and I'm not sure whether it's a good choice for this project, it's a final year college project, so I'm balancing the project with other subjects and projects, I know java well enough, I would like to use python but I feel I might be putting more pressure on myself if I choose an unfamiliar language. I was looking at kivy today as well
    TBH, I'd be of the opinion that unless you can find a very well integrated Python-Android platform, to try and develop in Python for Android will be more trouble than doing it in Java, if you're not that familiar in it.

Have you researched your options? Kivi and QPython are two possible solutions for you.

TBH, I'd be of the opinion that unless you can find a very well integrated Python-Android platform, to try and develop in Python for Android will be more trouble than doing it in Java, if you're not that familiar in it.

Have you researched your options? Kivi and QPython are two possible solutions for you.

Yeah that's the impression I was getting from the research I was doing, I've liked what we have been doing in Python so far but I'm worried I might put myself under pressure unnecessarily, I was looking at kivi this morning , looks a cool technology but again it's starting from scratch. Java for Android seems to have a better framework for what I'm trying to achieve, so I've probably answered my own question there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

threein99 wrote: »
    I'm worried I might put myself under pressure unnecessarily
    That's going to happen no matter what. Either you'll need to make a non-native language, you're familiar with, work in development, or you'll have to use a native language, you're not familiar with. Up to you to assess which will cause you fewer headaches, but ultimately both will.

• Advertisement

That's going to happen no matter what. Either you'll need to make a non-native language, you're familiar with, work in development, or you'll have to use a native language, you're not familiar with. Up to you to assess which will cause you fewer headaches, but ultimately both will.

Cheers

Advertisement