Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Licence

• 05-02-2014 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Saorview...I thought this meant free viewing if translated? Their website suggest that "SAORVIEW is a free digital television service received with an aerial."

I received a TV licence in the post (e160).

Do I have to pay this or is there any argument for the "free digital television service"?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Subscription free.

TV Licence is required for the posession of a TV set, doesn't matter which TV provider you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Who Knows?

AAHHHHHH!!!! This is ridiculous. I would prefer to think of it as paying for a service? Isnt this just an annual tax on a TV then which does not depreciate with the value of the TV?

So the service is free but we must PAY for owning a TV which we have paid for?

A few weeks back I heard that RTE used to give ex-RTE employees free copies of the RTE Guide. TV licence fee? hmmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

Who Knows? wrote: »
    AAHHHHHH!!!! This is ridiculous. I would prefer to think of it as paying for a service? Isnt this just an annual tax on a TV then which does not depreciate with the value of the TV?

So the service is free but we must PAY for owning a TV which we have paid for?

A few weeks back I heard that RTE used to give ex-RTE employees free copies of the RTE Guide. TV licence fee? hmmmm...

The tv licence is about raising revenue. Nothing else. I can understand the need for licences for guns, dogs. But a tv? It's only dangerous if someone throws it from a height and catches you on the head:-)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Please use the sticky for all TV Licencing queries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement