Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed HTPC setup. First timer :-)

• 28-10-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi Guys, I'm going to be building a pc/htpc for the first time in a few weeks and I was hoping for some help and advice. I would like my build to come in under €400 with it being able to do the following: 1. Be reasonably quiet and energy efficient for the price 2. Be used to watch and record both Freesat & Saorview 3. Be powerful enough for a bit of moderate gaming 4. Maybe do a bit of cryptocurrency mining while not in use as it would probably be on all the time. 5. I've no idea how to do this but maybe host a website? This is what I've been thinking of so far but it's a good bit over my budget unfortunately. http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/CI2ZHI89WA76 I was wondering a few things... * Am I missing anything that I should be including? * The pci card I've selected, would it be sufficient for both freesat and saorview? It also seems mighty expensive are there other options you could recommend? * would the mother board I've selected work well or is it wrong size/type? * Would anyone be able to reccomend a box with an included psu that's quiet? I reckon that could save me some money. * Is the apu overkill or just right? At the moment I seem to be way over budget. Any cost saving tips would be greatly appreciated. I might not bother with the blu-ray, Ive a dvd writer at home not being used and a ps3 that I basically only use to preview the odd blu-ray I might burn for wedding clients. :-) and thanks in advance for any help offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tipdrinker

BTW I've brought the cost down a little since this post by using some cheaper components and finding a case with built in psu. However I would still appreciate feedback on the build above. Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You could get a cheaper dvb-t stick on ebay. You don't need dvb-t2 because Saorview doesn't and probably won't use dvb-t2 for the foreseeable future. Considering you can get a dvb-t stick for about €10, I don't see much point in future proofing and getting dvb-t2.

The ram you have selected is a sodimm, i.e. laptop ram. It won't fit in that motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tipdrinker

thanks for that. Saved me wasting a bit of money there :-)

Advertisement