Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive Club - PS4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a few reviews :

joystiq

gamesradar

polygon

eurogamer

overall -
    not overly great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kinda glad now I did not preorder this, but still will give the PS+ version a bash.
    Eurogamer: 6

The problem with DriveClub is that it's just competent. You'll drive some fast cars in some arresting environments. You might even have fun, in between getting clobbered with penalties. But there's no romance to it. No passion. What there is, however, is the lingering sense that the gaps were supposed to be filled by the much-touted social features - the fires were to be stoked by human rivalry. Sadly, beyond those bite-sized Face Off challenges, which are essentially side missions, there's nothing particularly engaging or new here.

What we're left with is a flimsy framework - a sort of clothes horse for content - rather than a truly great racing game. DriveClub is patently intended to attract a global, interconnected audience of fiercely competitive racers but, to quote the increasingly obscure 1989 Kevin Costner film Field of Dreams: if you build it, they will come. And, unfortunately, Evolution hasn't quite built it.

Polygon: 7.5

DriveClub doesn't have any one element that makes it an incredible game or a huge leap forward for the racing genre, but it makes some smart choices underneath top-of-the-line presentation. And in embracing a social media-influenced setup to build enjoyable asynchronous multiplayer, it teaches a few important lessons other developers should learn from.

Gamespot: 5

In fact, it's hard to find any true celebration here. Driveclub is ordinary menus and ordinary races, standard time trials, and a few drift events. Driveclub is bland social competition. Driveclub is the fear of risks and the embrace of the ordinary. It's basic racing in basic packaging, beautiful and inert and full of attractive cars. It is not, however, an argument for a new generation of driving, given how it fails to exceed the standards of the old one.

IGN: 7.9
    Driveclub is the best-looking racing game I’ve ever seen on a console, but down deep it’s a more modest, conventional arcade racer than the sprawling, open-world types we commonly see today. While it successfully creates fast and fun races with a great sense of speed, the overly aggressive AI grates, the difficult drifting seems at odds with the accessible handling, and the single-player loses zest once the solo content runs dry. I’m also surprised at how partisan the day-one car list is. That said, the tentacles of Driveclub can grip tight if you get invested in the game’s asynchronous challenges, and it’s very much geared around encouraging us to hop online and compete by making it so easy.

Gameinformer: 7.75

DriveClub works as advertised, and despite the seamlessness of its single-player and online features, the game's not wildly more captivating than most other racers out there. It captures the spur of competitive racing, but this is due more to the fact that its racing fundamentals (which are more sim than arcade) give it a good foundation rather than some groundbreaking feature set. Drive it fast and drive it hard, but don't expect a miracle.

Videogamer: 8

But even with its shortfalls there are few racers that manage to marry up the joy of driving with the thrill of competing against friends and strangers as successfully as this, which makes popping a score on the end of this review one of DriveClub's toughest challenges yet. I stayed up until the early hours of the morning one night frantically trying to beat a challenge set by another games site. They won. I lost. But the desperate desire to win – and the urge to silently brag about the victory – made the race deeply exciting.

And it's intense rivalries like this that lie at the heart of DriveClub. It's a game whose appeal lives and dies in its online time trials and sensational visuals, and whose sense of one-upmanship and competition is leaps above the rest of the pack.

Gamesradar: 4\5

In fact, despite the concessions to accessibility, the number of times I was reminded of real cars while playing Driveclub is remarkable. I was constantly reminded of car journeys at Christmas, or the smell of a plush interior as you climb in, thanks to the detail with which Evolution has recreated every last component of the driving experience. The scenery, the motion, the different audio filters depending on which view you're using… all it needs is a packet of Werther's Originals to come with each copy and I think we're there. It's a strong racer. Just one with an identity crisis and a dependence on its net connection when it comes to delivering true fun.

Joystiq: 3\5

Driveclub is a well-made, sometimes irritating juxtaposition of the old and new. The career mode is old-fashioned and its AI is hopelessly ignorant, but the graphics and competitive jabs online feel perfectly fit for 2014. Embracing your fellow human is key to overcoming Driveclub's faults, which ultimately make it a better staging ground for car-loving friends than an expression of automotive admiration itself.

USgamer: 3.5\5

Basically, it's a smorgasbord of racing — as much as anyone could possibly consume. It works well, and the constant dynamic insertion of challenges into whatever race you're in helps make everything exciting and stimulating. Despite the occasional wobby handling, some rough edges, and tracks that aren't as exciting as they should be, DriveClub is still fun to drive. It's just a shame that it lacks any kind of feeling of reward or progression.

Destructoid: 7.5

Driveclub is fast and easy to get into, nice to look at, and it has a lot going on in the background to keep you connected and competitive with your club members and other individuals. But that doesn't change the issues in the foreground. Its approachable and enjoyable racing is marred by AI cars that love to unfairly bash and crash on the single-player side. And bugs with the interface and the networking kept me from fully enjoying the multiplayer side. Beyond all of this, it feels like Driveclub needs more race and event types. What it offers has kept me going for a couple of weeks, but how much longer will it continue to do so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Driveclub is looking very average by reviews, will stick to the free ps+ version.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ya I'm the same. Check out the PS+ version.

That said the reviews actually aren't too bad. It's really just Gamespot and Eurogamer.

But from the small bits of seen it's absolutely ridiculous that the AI has a set route no matter what and will hit into you if you get in the way. For a driving game that just sounds crazy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I will decide after I play some ps+ version. GT trailers liked it though...

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/hk4dfa/driveclub-review

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

PS+ version is out today in the US or just the full game in the US?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Plus version is out today too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

That slow down penalty for what the game deems bad driving sounds like the worse thing I have ever heard of being in a driving game. Bet it won't apply to the AI drivers if playing solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems like they spent so much time making it look pretty that they forgot about ensuring it plays well. Still with the PS+ version at least no-one will get burnt buying it unsighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Will just try out the ps+ version as well before I decide what to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Will give it a go seeing as I have ps+ and make my own mind up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

rizzla wrote: »
    That slow down penalty for what the game deems bad driving sounds like the worse thing I have ever heard of being in a driving game. Bet it won't apply to the AI drivers if playing solo.

Not really, Its even in Assetto Corsam which is a Simulator. It encourages to drive well and not Yolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

When is the ps+ version releasing?

When is the ps+ version releasing?

Sometime after lunch on Friday, it is meant to be a 17 gig download as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I had high hopes for this. Pity, at least I just spent €40 on it and not €65. Pre-loading it now on PSN, 2.7gb with a 135mb update file.

Alien Isolation looks like it is the better game to get.

Xenji wrote: »

well that sucks, i thought we got it today like europe?

I had high hopes for this. Pity, at least I just spent €40 on it and not €65. Pre-loading it now on PSN, 2.7gb with a 135mb update file.

Alien Isolation looks like it is the better game to get.

that or shadow of mordor

that or shadow of mordor

Could never get into LotR, games, movies or books.

Getting great reviews all round but just not my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Pre ordered this on ps store.. Only 40 quid.. Reviews look so so.. Hopefully its not as bad as some of the reviews.. Luckily its my birthday next week so I can get Alien Isolation as a present..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

Seemed like some reviewers were expecting it to be something it was never going to be, as long as it's a decent racer with very nice graphics I'll certainly get my monies worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Are you sure? I thought the PS+ version is tomorrow and the full version Friday.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Are you sure? I thought the PS+ version is tomorrow and the full version Friday.

The Plus version is pushed back till Friday as it's basically the full game, all modes and fully trophy list included. Only difference is less cars and tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

tok9 wrote: »
    Ya I'm the same. Check out the PS+ version.

That said the reviews actually aren't too bad. It's really just Gamespot and Eurogamer.

But from the small bits of seen it's absolutely ridiculous that the AI has a set route no matter what and will hit into you if you get in the way. For a driving game that just sounds crazy to me.

GameSpot did give Rambo the game 6 out of 10.... Just saying ha ha. I'll have to see what ganestm have to say, they have been bang on for a long time.

nocoverart wrote: »

They are both out on Friday in the UK and Ireland, tomorrow they are out in mainland Europe.

I see this may also be quite DLC heavy, they are offering 38 more cars and 176 new tour events as paid DLC at a cost of 75.84 Euro or a season pass for 24.99 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They are both out on Friday in the UK and Ireland, tomorrow they are out in mainland Europe.

This is puzzling me. Is there any particular reason why we would be two days after the rest of Europe for a download of a game?
    I see this may also be quite DLC heavy, they are offering 38 more cars and 176 new tour events as paid DLC at a cost of 75.84 Euro or a season pass for 24.99 Euro.

That is putting me off the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Jeez this is disappointing looking, I was expecting it to be as good as FH2 if not better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

COYVB wrote: »
    Plus version is out today too

I stand corrected... It is not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I was gonna pre order the + upgrade...but I hink I won't bother now ,I'le play it on free + first and then think about it.

Advertisement