Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blue giant's study log

• 30-10-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Everyone else seems to have one and I am starting to do some proper study so I might as well start it up. I doubt I'll ever update this though :rolleyes:

So I had a timetable worked out over the midterm for studying everything that will be on our Christmas/november tests. So far I only have the stuff for Monday and Tuesday done. I think I was being a bit optimistic getting everything done from Monday to Friday.

I did get the Paris basin for geography, ethene and ethyne experiments for chemistry, farm accounts and I organised a lot of my notes in new handouts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I got a nice bit done today. Completely finished off notes on the Paris basin, did a good few stats problems from the exam papers for maths, did some on the comparative for English and got everything sorted for A Thig ná Tit Orm for Irish as well as predicting what essay will come up. Quite happy with today's work :)

I've already forgot to update this the last few days :rolleyes:

Today I will do some maths, India for Geography, and finish off fuels and do electronegativity for chemistry. Might do a bit of Irish as well. Good fun for me tonight :(:(

Had my first three tests today.

French was okay. I didn't do much study for it apart from the 30 mins before it started. Probably a B of some sort.

Chemistry went quite well. One of the calculations went a bit wrong I think but would be expecting an A.

Irish was disappointing. I thought that one essay would come up and had a perfect answer for it. The other one came up instead :( Not a whole lot of information in it but a whole lot of filler phrases.

I'll probably just do some maths and geography tonight. Mostly maths because we have a free period between break and lunch so can get some geography done then. I'm hoping for two As tomorrow.

Happy enough with today's exams. I thought maths was quite easy and had it done with about an hour left. Geography went okay. There was no question on India though and a 2 questions on population dynamics.

Tomorrows exams are English and accounting. I just need to look over my Dickinson notes and comparative for English. I will probably do a farm account and look back over marginal costing for accounting.

Finished today. Now for a weekend of doing absolutely nothing :):D

Both English and accounting went very well today. Most of the tests went very well I thought. I guess I'll see for sure soon enough.

• Advertisement

I did a little bit of study today. Earth's structure and earthquakes. I did first 3 exercises on algebra in book and looked back over terrorism essay for Irish.

I have some results back from my tests. I'll post what I got when I get them all back.

I finally got all my results from my Christmas tests back today. I'm quite happy but a bit disappointed by them at the same time. All at HL.

Maths-89% My best result. Would have liked an A1 but still the best in the class by quite a bit so happy enough.

Accounting-87% Again I did quite well but would have liked the A1. Everything was right apart from the marginal costing question which I kind of messed up :(

Irish-85% Probably the result I was most pleased by considering I got 84% in my last two tests. The essay that I hadn't learned really came up as well so very happy with this :)

Chemistry-83% Would have been an A but I messed up the calculations badly :( Everything else was.quite good though so happy enough with it.

Geography-83% Very happy with this. I got full marks in two questions and there was no short questions on it either. It was all on regional geography too.

English-79% Happy enough. My comparative was very good but I could improve on my poetry essay a bit.

French-64% Didn't do any real study for it at all and won't be counting it for points so I'm not too bothered about it.

With everything added up that's 3 A2's, 2 B1's and a B2. That equals 545 points with extra bonus points for maths included.

The course that I want was 580 last year so I will need to improve that. I definitely think I can get A1's in maths, accounting, Irish, geography and chemistry and a B1 in English. That's what I'm aiming for anyway.

Haven't posted here in ages.

I have the desert biome and it's characteristics covered today. I also started my notes on Robert Frost. Just need to add in 2 poems.

Homework finished now so I'll do sedimentary and igneous rocks for geography. I suppose I should really start learning those sraith pictiúrs as well. Might continue on with chemistry as well.

I only ended up doing sedimentary rocks last night :(:( :O

Today, I did igneous rocks, learnt all the ratios for interpretation in accounting as well as doing a b and c part off examinations.ie. I have the first two sraith pictiúrs done also and I finished off my Robert Frost notes. Quite happy with today's work :):):)

• Advertisement

Spent most of this weekend doing my geographical investigation. I have it mostly done and just need to write it into the actual booklet.

I have an Irish test tomorrow on a sport essay so I spent a good while writing one out and then trying to learn it. I also did most of the workings of a question one for accounting. I finished my notes for chemistry on atomic structure. I did limestone pavement for geography and the process of carbonation. I also did some maths questions out of the exam papers, mostly on algebra and a little bit of complex numbers.

I'm quite happy what I got done considering I was doing my GI also.

I have done nothing yet over Christmas. I decided I was better start today :(

I hope to do complex numbers, club accounts, radioactivity and finally finish off the rock cycle. Sounds like a fun day in store :(

It's time for me to get serious about these mocks. They're starting in 3 weeks :(:(

I have a timetable done out with 2 subjects Monday to Thursday. One on Friday and then four each on Saturday and Sunday. It's not a huge amount but it's enough to get started and I know I should be able to stick to it hopefully.

I also wrote down what I would be happy with in the mocks and what I want in the real thing. I'm being realistic about the mocks and would be more than happy with around 475 and then I'm hoping to get as close to 625 as I can in June :):)

Didn't get much homework today so have all my study done early enough today :):)

Now to watch an episode or two of breaking bad :D:D

Mocks are starting on Tuesday :o:o

I should be cramming like fück but instead I'm watching netflix and playing FIFA most of the day :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maths p1 and English p2 done already. Maths was okay apart from the questions we couldn't do yet. English was grand apart from the unseen poem. One of the two poets I knew came up so happy with that. English p1 and maths p2 tomorrow. I prefer the other papers :(

I felt English and maths went fairly okay. Irish paper 1 tomorrow. Should be okay once the essays aren't too bad :):)

I have most of my mock results back now. I did okay but I need to improve a good bit in every subject.

Maths-57%. Most of the year didn't pass so delighted with this. I want an A in June though so will have to hugely improve still. It was a tough enough exam in fairness though.

English-71%. My joint best result so far even though I thought it was my second worst subject. I can improve in paper 1 especially and the comparative as well.

Geography-71%. Happy enough with this. The exam was marked very hard and I thought I deserved a fair few more marks. Will be looking for an A1 in the leaving cert.

Chemistry-58%. Slightly disappointed even if it was among the best in the year. I had no choice in the exam though and had to answer on an experiment we haven't done yet :o

Irish-63%. Quite disappointed with this result. Haven't been given the exam back yet but would imagine my essay brought me down. Big improvement needed if I want to get an A.

That's 365 points so far I think with one more subject to add in. I should get around 420ish. Was hoping for better but not that disappointed really either :)

I finally got French back today. Very happy with a C2 :) I think with all 6 subjects I have 425 points. I still have accounting to get back as well.

The next few weeks I'll be mostly focusing on the orals. I'll probably concentrate on Irish more because I think I can do quite well in Irish hopefully.

Blue giant wrote: »
    I have most of my mock results back now. I did okay but I need to improve a good bit in every subject.

Maths-57%. Most of the year didn't pass so delighted with this. I want an A in June though so will have to hugely improve still. It was a tough enough exam in fairness though.

English-71%. My joint best result so far even though I thought it was my second worst subject. I can improve in paper 1 especially and the comparative as well.

Geography-71%. Happy enough with this. The exam was marked very hard and I thought I deserved a fair few more marks. Will be looking for an A1 in the leaving cert.

Chemistry-58%. Slightly disappointed even if it was among the best in the year. I had no choice in the exam though and had to answer on an experiment we haven't done yet :o

Irish-63%. Quite disappointed with this result. Haven't been given the exam back yet but would imagine my essay brought me down. Big improvement needed if I want to get an A.

That's 365 points so far I think with one more subject to add in. I should get around 420ish. Was hoping for better but not that disappointed really either :)

I now have everything back :)

French-64%. Pleasantly surprised at this result. I did look at the spoilers thread for 2 of the written topics but I still did better in the comprehensions :rolleyes: Would be happy with this in the real thing.

Accounting-81%. My best result. Absolutely delighted with it considering I thought I had messed it up badly :) I think I can bring this up to an A1 hopefully.

That's a total of 450 points then :) Science in UCD, which I want, was 515 last year so I think I'm reasonably on track. I think I can improve on them all though so I'm more than happy :):)

• Advertisement

10 weeks until the leaving cert starts :o:o

I've been doing work for the Irish oral this week mostly. I have everything written out, just need to learn it now. I should be well prepared for it after Easter. I have a lot of French to do as well :(:(

Blue giant wrote: »
    10 weeks until the leaving cert starts :o:o

I've been doing work for the Irish oral this week mostly. I have everything written out, just need to learn it now. I should be well prepared for it after Easter. I have a lot of French to do as well :(:(

I should have done more over Easter. French orals starting tomorrow. Not sure whether I'll be tomorrow or Thursday. I know all the basic questions well but I'm fücked if I'm asked anything too abstract.

Irish is on next week. Again, I have all the basis covered well and I should be able to learn the rest at the weekend. I still have a nice few sraith pictiúrs to learn as well. Looks like I'll be having a fun weekend :(

French oral went grand I think. I was asked a few awkward questions but I think I managed to kind of answer them. I won't be counting French anyway.

Irish oral will be on Tuesday or Wednesday. I need it to go well. Hopefully it will :)

I was very happy with my Irish oral. I got the first sraith pictiúr :D One or two mistakes but I'd say I have at least 180 out of 240, probably more. That's at least 30% got in Irish already :D.

This shıt is really starting to get serious now. Less than a month until the exams start and I still have lots of work to do. I think I will mostly study by doing exam questions at this stage. I made a study timetable before Christmas. I need to start sticking to it again. I should be more than okay with 530 points. The course was 515 last year. Here's how I think I'm going in my subjects:

Maths- This is probably the one subject where I'm quite confident of getting a high B/A. Just need to keep practicing.

English- I'm okay for Othello, the comparative and paper 1. I know Frost and Dickinson for poetry. I need to start looking over my other poets.

Irish- I had a good oral so that takes some of the pressure off. I need to keep going back over my essays and refreshing the stories and poems in my mind.

French- This is my backup subject incase I fück something up in June. I was going to drop down to ordinary but I decided to stick in higher. I should be grand for a low C.

Accounting- I'm confident with the management accounting. I need to keep doing question 1's, in particular the workings. I could do it with spending some time on club/service, incomplete and tabular too.

Geography- The only subject that I have notes written out for everything. I just need to sit down and learn them now.

Chemistry- I gave up trying to write notes out and have started doing exam questions instead. I find this more beneficial, especially when I use the marking schemes to correct my answers.

I've about a month to get everything together now. As I said 530 should be enough for me but I would love to get more :p

I got back a mock paper 1 for maths that I did a while ago. I got 86% :D:D Absolutely delighted with that.

And it's 3 weeks until the exams start. Missing out on the Champions League semi final to do some accounting and geography :( I have a study timetable done out. If I follow it within reason I'm fairly confident I'll get what I need. I reckon I'm 75/80% of the way there, just need to brush up on certain topics/subjects.

I'm starting to find it really hard to concentrate on things the last few days. For every 10 minutes of study I do I also seem to spend 5 minutes of doing nothing. Yesterday I only really got half of what I wanted to do done. I'm going to have to try and stay focused for the next few weeks. It will be all over in less than 5 weeks thankfully :p

2 more days left :o

I'm feeling a lot more confident about English and geography than I was earlier. I'd be disappointed if I didn't get at least a B1in them now. I still have a bit more to do for geography though. Maths is going fairly well. I think I have everything from paper 1 done so just have to look over my weaker parts. I still have a nice bit of work to do for Irish but I'm about 70% of the way there. I have done the bare minimum for French. Just looking for a pass. I've stopped studying chemistry and accounting this week but feel I'm fairly well covered in them already anyway.

• Advertisement

First week over thankfully. All of them have gone fairly good so far. I'd be hopeful of at least 3 high Bs in English, geography and maths after the exam. Hopefully next week will go as good :)

Advertisement