Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quiting dole- Dole ?

Options
  • 06-05-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

I know if you quit your job, then you are not able to go on the dole for a number of months. However I have read that, if you quit your job with justifiable cause, then you can go on the dole while you look for a new position.

My girlfriend has been working for the last few months and her boss has continuously put off giving her a contract and wage slips. Recently, she requested a P60 put was basically ignored. We are thinking that he is not paying whatever taxes and charges he is supposed to be.

Shortly after she started in the job, she rang the revenue to get herself registered as employed by this guy. When she rang the Revenue, they had no record of her new employment. Although she is registered, I really don't think he has kept up or even started paying PRSI etc for her.

I have told her to get out of there but she is afraid that if she quits, while she is looking for a new job, she would not have any income.

Is her situation, justifiable cause for leaving ?

Could anyone offer any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

A P60 is only issued in early January for employees that where with the company at the 31st December the previous years, so if your girlfriend was working in this company on the 31/12/11 then she should have received her P60 in January, you will not get it any other time of the year and only if she was employed by the company then.

AS for the social welfare if she has the correct amount of prsi contributions built up then she would be entitled to JSB which is not means tested and does not take months , but she must meet the criteria

http://www.welfare.ie/en/schemes/jobseekersupports/jobseekersbenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

he should be complained

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lukep13

I will assume there is no HR department. Very easy to solve this.

Write a letter demanding (keep a copy for yourself) to receive wage slips, P60, and a copy of contract within 3 to 5 business days. Make sure you also tell him/her this face to face .. Let it be known that if such is not produced, you will have a talk with the Revenue, and other authorities and letting Revenue known that you have suspicioun that they are not being compliant with Revenue.. ( You will see how fast they will be giving you what you are asking, Inspections/Investigations from Revenue are no joke) In case they wont cooperate. You can quit your job

Show the letter to Social and explain you have been working for prolonged period of time without proper documentation, and you suspect the employer did not wont to produce those because he may be not becompliant with revenue.. RESULT: You will get your dole automatically, and im sure Social will want to investigate them

2:) Employer will produce what you request RESULT: GREAT!
    3:) Employer will produce what you request but will try to make your job a living hell RESULT/Suggestion : Quit, you will get your dole, and file a case in Labor Court for wrongful dismissal

You welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Wow that's great- thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

3 Employer will produce what you request but will try to make your job a living hell RESULT/Suggestion : Quit, you will get your dole, and file a case in Labor Court for wrongful dismissal

Very difficult if the girl was not employed for over a year before they were let go. But def write the letter, I cant see how that could go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Agedcynic

National Employment Right Authority NERA can be contacted to deal with your problem.
    They are a state body looking after employment rights

Advertisement