Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gamsat 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Hey,
    am thinking of sitting the GAMSAT in March.I am currently doing a masters degree but to be honest the amount of work as part of it would allow me to put 10 weeks study into the gamsat.My sister done it in 2008 and literally done 2 hours a day for 8 weeks and done extremely well in it and she came from a non science degree..Im also living with someone who done it in 2007 and he worked full time whilst studying and told me he spent 2 hours a night for the first 8 weeks study den 5 hours a day for the last 2 weeks before the exam..both of these people would have been very strong on the essays so id say with a bit of study on the sciences it could easily be possible to do in 3 months

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Roger_that

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Hey,
    am thinking of sitting the GAMSAT in March.I am currently doing a masters degree but to be honest the amount of work as part of it would allow me to put 10 weeks study into the gamsat.My sister done it in 2008 and literally done 2 hours a day for 8 weeks and done extremely well in it and she came from a non science degree..Im also living with someone who done it in 2007 and he worked full time whilst studying and told me he spent 2 hours a night for the first 8 weeks study den 5 hours a day for the last 2 weeks before the exam..both of these people would have been very strong on the essays so id say with a bit of study on the sciences it could easily be possible to do in 3 months

IMO its really not practical to compare x's 2hrs study a night for whatever months to yourself. Different people are at different levels at different subjects.

Simply put, if you want to do medicine, you should give it a go. You can always do it again and if you REALLY want it, that won't bother you one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Adeline07

Is anyone living in Dublin who is sitting in March 2012? I'll like an exchange of ideas and/or study contacts.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Hey, Yeah Im doing it in March and I live in Dublin, I live near UCD so could meet there or somewhere city centre, whatever suits.

Hey, Yeah Im doing it in March and I live in Dublin, I live near UCD so could meet there or somewhere city centre, whatever suits.

Thank you for your response.
    Please drop me a line at ade.oluborode@gmail.com. We can arrange to meet at ucd or dit city centre.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CATRYAN

Hey! Im doing gamsats this march are u interested in starting a study group!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

horsemeat, cop on. dont post like that here again.
    post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

To say that illness and medicine have had profound impact in my life is an underestimation of the highest form.I have lost my boyfriend and my Dad to cancer, and for as long as I can remember I have wanted to be a doctor.
    I just want to share my GAMSAT story with you and hope that you can give me some help please.
    Realising I would not get enough points in my Leaving Cert I settled on primary teaching...During the 2nd year of my 3 year B.Ed degree I began researching how I could access medicine as a mature student. Graduate entry medicine was just being set up and although I was going to complete my teaching degree, I set myself the goal of achieving a 2.1 to ensure I meet the graduate medicine requirements.
    As I began my final year my beautiful boyfriend was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma, a rare soft tissue sarcoma, or cancer. I was completing 3rd year as my sweetheart endured treatments aimed at arresting his disease by cutting, burning and poisoning. All of his suffering and sacrifices were not enough.
    After graduation I did not want to accept any teaching job. I was devastated and completely heart-broken. Yet on my parents and my boyfriend’s parent’s advice I took a job in a local primary school.
    My best friend and deepest love slipped away in March 2009.

In August 2009 my Dad was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, lung cancer with metastases to brain and bone. A terminal diagnosis. My Dad’s illness was even more complicated that my boyfriends...
    My lovely Dad slipped away in June 2011.

I have lost so much; I have felt pain and sadness beyond words and anything I ever dared to imagine. My world has been turned upside down.

In spite of this, I managed, at a whim, to sit the GAMSAT in London in 2010, just as sort of a practice and to see how I would actually get on. Between my grief at losing my boyfriend and caring for my Dad I did not have much time or energy for preparing or for studying for the exam. I didn’t tell anyone that my dream to study medicine was still in focus. I think it’s a bit like doing your driving test; it you tell people you’re doing the exam, not getting a place is basically like failing... But my desire to become a doctor is even stronger than ever....

Anyway I scored a 53. (S1 = 56, S2 = 70 and S3 = 43)
    It was not good enough, but almost.... I think Limerick was 54 last year? I had not even written one full essay. I didn’t do any courses. I got the Griffiths Gamsat Review book, became familiar with the exam, kindly got some help from my friends with the science section, and that’s about all. So I was very actually very happy with my score. There was/is hope that one day I would/will make it.

I decided that I did not have a lot of time left with my Dad, but a lot of time to get into medicine, so I dropped the idea after doing the exam in Sep 2010, only feeling strong enough to try to take it up now again. But I need your help.
    When I did the exam last year, I did not put any pressure on myself; it was just a trial run. Now though I am very serious about trying to get a place for college in Sep 2012. I am applying for a career break from my teaching job; I have to do that by a certain deadline which is actually before I sit the exam. I have to do well enough this time around...

I do have some good Biology books belonging to my sister who is a nurse, as well as access to the UCC library, a leaving cert Chemistry book, Chemistry for Dummies, Organic Chemistry for Dummies and Rapid Revision Physics. But I am completely overwhelmed with all the other resources available.
    I am planning on doing the GradMed intensive revision course for Biology, Chemistry, and Written Communication. Although the only thing putting me off is that I’m not from Dublin, so it will mean travelling and staying overnight etc...for 3 weekends. Do you think it will be worth the time and effort and loss in time for study??
    I am also thinking of getting the Des O’Neill notes on the verbal reasoning and the essay practice package. Or I have just read about the new essay preparation package offered by Griffiths Gamsat Review, though this is new, so there is no real feedback. It’s hard to know which one to go for?
    I will buy the Examkrackers for the verbal reasoning... What else can or should I do?
    I am just seriously worried about section 3, especially all of the chemistry. 43 is such a poor result, I’m hoping the extra notes from the courses will be a help as it is very hard opening up books and studying blind.
    Hopefully having sat the exam already will stand to me, but what if my score actually goes down this time?

My experiences have brought me to the furthest reaches of sorrow. Everything has been impossibly difficult the past few years.
    Doctors watch the wheel of life and death turn in front of their eyes as they welcome newborns into the world and hold the hands of others as they leave. I want to be a part of it all, the science, the care, the ugly, and the joy.
    I am determined to draw from my personal experiences and develop the skills I have already acquired and to transfer them into a future career in medicine. I may have been powerless when I lost loved ones to cancer, but I refuse to be helpless in what I can do to perpetuate purpose in my own life.

This is the first time in so long that I am a little hopeful for the year ahead. I am not content as a teacher; I want to be a doctor more than ever. I would really appreciate any help you could offer. Thank you!

Hi Catryan,

Are you still interestyed in a study group? Do you live in Dublin?
    CATRYAN wrote: »
    Hey! Im doing gamsats this march are u interested in starting a study group!?

Hey guys, i might join that group if there's space.

Another quick question, this could be more so for current GEMs. I read a few people saying they did the 1001 questions in MCAT org chem, Im currently trying to do that myself and find the going really tough. Im doing it in conjunction with the book as well and its really tough. Did ye find it the same when ye were practising them. Like some of the questions seem to assume a fair bit of prior knowledge.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

folks, just a reminder- there's a sticky on this forum for Gamsat notes for sale/wanted.

please keep all requests/offers to that thread only, to prevent cluttering up other threads.

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cnileochain87

Hi all,

I have taken the plunge and decided to do the GAMSAT's in March too. Would be really interested in meeting up with a few of you to even discuss what the best plan of attack is! I have no science at all.. and I mean at all!! I am also planning on doing GradMed intensive revision course. I live within 10 mins of DIT and the same of UCD, if ye were on for meeting even for a bit of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

Hi there,

Can anyone give me a link to the marking scheme for the GAMSAT exam. I have heard a lot of information regarding weighting of questions dependant on proportion of candidates answering them correctly, as well as well as there being "trial" questions included in the exam which don't neccessarily contribute anything to your final mark.

Can anybody share a link to how the GAMSAT is really marked? I haven't yet been able to find one.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 declanmoffit

Hi there,

Can anyone give me a link to the marking scheme for the GAMSAT exam. I have heard a lot of information regarding weighting of questions dependant on proportion of candidates answering them correctly, as well as well as there being "trial" questions included in the exam which don't necessarily contribute anything to your final mark.

Can anybody share a link to how the GAMSAT is really marked? I haven't yet been able to find one.

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cnileochain87

Hey,

With regard to the marking system I think they are very hush hush on how they mark..

I think basically it doesn't matter if you get it right / wrong if everyone else in the hall gets it right / wrong you are relying on getting those questions that others fall down on correct... I would have thought this was the same for any exam but I am doing the gradmed course and they keep emphasising this...

What they keep saying is your biggest enemy are the smart ones in the hall with you!!!!

I'm not sure this is much help but apparently that's how they roll!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Poppo4

From what I've heard the exam is marked so that the questions people get correct most are worth the lowest and vice versa.

Also, unless you've taken the exam already you won't know but there are a number of exam papers on the day. The exam paper that you get will have questions in different orders and completely different questions to the exam papers given to the people around you. Obviously to ensure no one can cheat by copying someone beside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LNH86

hey does anybody know how many places are available for the grad med courses in the 4 uni's?

Surprised by how quiet this thread is with less than a month to go before the big day. Hopefully thats a sign of falling interest in the courses and thus lower points in 2012 :D

Ok, Im around UCD, anyone want to meet up to exchange ideas one of the days?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

Flange/Flanders I would like to meet up but I'm abroad unfortunately and just coming back for the exam.

Getting a bit concerned at not having heard anything with regard to the day itself, the location and timetable for the exam etc. I got a fair few emails from the London Gamsat team in the month leading up to it... Have you or anybody else heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

I haven't gotten anything either, does anyone know where it is normally held? Hopefully the lack action on the thread means there's not too many doing the exam, it could also mean that they're all really busy studying though!

• Advertisement

If I remember correctly last year we heard nothing until two weeks before the exam and it was just to issue us with the exam ticket and with the details of the exam.

Starting to get stressed now, it seems like the kettle is constantly on with me needing fresh cups of coffee!

Yeah things seem v.quiet alright compared to previous years. Here's hoping my 62 from London last year us good enough for UCD as I'm not sitting it again.

Best of luck to you all. It's not as bad as you think but practice under exam conditions is essential!!!

"It could mean they're all really busy studying though."

Shhh of course they're not... That's reassuring that you haven't heard from them either then. With London there was definitely official emails 2 weeks before the date. I'm only flying in on the Friday night so I am pretty screwed if I'm not in Dublin to be honest...

How is your studying going Cliona? First time doing the exam? My gut feeling is the cut-offs will come down (posted about it here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77251104 ).

Hi guys,

I did it in RCSI last year and i dont think i got the entry ticket until about 3 days before hand so Im not stressed about that yet. I packed in my job on friday there to concentrate on it properly so here's hoping it all goes well. This is complete idle speculation by me but Doc2be said on her blog that there seemed less interest in the GEM at the RCSI open day and I thought the numbers at the UCD open day were down (only a small bit down but down none the less!). So Roger, thats great score to have.

Im really hoping and praying that the numbers hold this year again or preferably go down cos i REALLY want to be in GEM in september, wherever....though preferably UCD....cos i always wanted to go there....tho I'll go to RCSI, Limerick or Cork no bother.

I don't mind where I go, putting UCD ahead of RCSI though so that pretty much rules RCSI out completely.

Anyone going to the open days in UCD? I'm going to one on the 26th of April. Will be the first one I've got to go to, excited!

Also it seems to me that wherever people go for the open days they immediately make it their first choice, I'm expecting the same to happen to me and I'll probably be disappointed if I don't get UCD come August. Anybody here been to all (or at least more than one) of them and can give a more balanced opinion by any chance?

Best of luck to all in the exam by the way!

I'd go along with that... Even though it is speculation I've been keeping an eye on this forum and the GEM world for about 18 months and this is definitely as quiet as I've seen it. Great news for everyone who wants to get in but I'd also be curious to know why. Do others know something that we don't? That sounds so paranoid lol

I've been to both UCD & RSCI open days in the past year, both were really impressive. Still trying to decide in which order I'll put them. I'm a former UCD student so I'll have the benefit of knowing the place inside out but the prestige of RSCI is massive...but it is a little more expensive.

Havent been to Limerick but I hope to get down in April sometime, even just to see the college and hopefully one of the staff will show me around.

Yeah, definitely agree that its really quiet here, maybe its the cost thats putting people off. I think this time last year the forum was up to about 10 or 15 pages at this stage, tho that could be GAMSAT induced madness gripping my long term memory.

All other things being equal I hate that RCSI have post Xmas exams... Much prefer the pre-Xmas stress/madness and then having a relaxing week or two over Xmas where you don't have to feel guilty about not studying :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

All other things being equal I hate that RCSI have post Xmas exams... Much prefer the pre-Xmas stress/madness and then having a relaxing week or two over Xmas where you don't have to feel guilty about not studying :D

1st year has xmas exams in January, 2nd year has them in early December. I didn't mind the timing of 1st year exams too much because you still get 3 weeks off after them.

Advertisement