Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Go Forward in Reverse

• 01-01-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Gaelforce West 2011

Right so this will be my log for all my training geared towards a good finishing time in Gaelforce West 2011.

Im a 27 year old male. Ive dabbled with running and cycling before and various levels of fitness. At the moment im in an awful state fitness wise. I havent been out running or cycling in months, although I do lift weights in the gym regularly. Ive been to see Gaelforce West as a spectator and from then Ive been dying to give it a go. The furthest Ive ever ran was for the 2009 Adidas Race Series Half Marathon, this took me 2hrs 05mins so even then I wasnt exactly super fit. Ive cycled a hundred km or so on numerous occassions and cycling would definitely be easier for me than running but at the moment Im poor in both disciplines.

For the next month I will mainly be concentrating on gym work and trying to sort out my knees which have been giving me hassle for quite some time now. Previous trips to the physio have determined the cause of the knee pain as muscular imbalance in my legs causing the knee to move out of alignment. Hopefully I can sort out the pain and discomfort by following the physios work out and stretching programme.

Today:

10 mins stretching and foam rolling.

Followed by:

20 Squats with 8kg dumbbells
    10 lunges each leg with 8kg dumbbells
    1 minute plank
    10 one legged squats each leg (the most annoying exercise EVER)

All repeated 3 times.

Hopefully keeping these exercises going regularly should sort out some of my knee problems. Its a surpisingly difficult workout - for me at least.

The plan is to start some rowing and swimming in the next few weeks; basically anything that wont put a lot of pressure on my knees. After that I hope to get back running and cycling and get some sort of structured programming going.

So thats the plan! Any advice or criticism is muchly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oh yippie! I will be very interested in this log. Im hoping to do the Connemara Adventure Challenge in May and if I survive that will attempt Gaelforce! Best of luck with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Decided to sign up to Gaelforce West tonight. Makes it more real.

The only thing is I have no idea what wave I should pick? I suppose id want to be in the average enough group. Anyone have any idea what the best time to choose, that would reflect this, would be? I was thinking maybe runner 6.30 or 7.00? Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bris42

Hi LaHaine,
    I hope to follow your log,am a good few years older than yourself, but did the connemara adventure challenge last year...my first ever race!! I am hoping to enter the Gaelforce North which is on on the June bank holiday. Have been doing a bit of running and cycling nothing more than approx 17k, but am hoping to improve on distance over the next couple of weeks. I,ve also been doing a little bit of hill walking.
    Am not in to the Gym scene...like the open air. I do most of my running and cycling in a wood near my home, it has gradual and steep inclines and distance.
    I would be grateful for any tips on how to improve my training, should I be doing core body work?
    I got through the connemara adventure challenge on what I,m doing at the moment, but this is definetly going to be tougher, am I out of my debth?

bris42 wrote: »
    Hi LaHaine,
    I hope to follow your log,am a good few years older than yourself, but did the connemara adventure challenge last year...my first ever race!! I am hoping to enter the Gaelforce North which is on on the June bank holiday. Have been doing a bit of running and cycling nothing more than approx 17k, but am hoping to improve on distance over the next couple of weeks. I,ve also been doing a little bit of hill walking.
    Am not in to the Gym scene...like the open air. I do most of my running and cycling in a wood near my home, it has gradual and steep inclines and distance.
    I would be grateful for any tips on how to improve my training, should I be doing core body work?
    I got through the connemara adventure challenge on what I,m doing at the moment, but this is definetly going to be tougher, am I out of my debth?

Hey Bris,

Im no expert at all when it comes to this sort of thing but more than happy to give my opinion!

I'm doing a bit of core work and physio work to build up my core and legs as I have been plagued with knee injuries. I think they are great exercises to do regardless of whether you've had injuries or not. A strong core is beneficial in all sports and would definitely help in any adventure race in my opinion.

Obviously the main part of training should be actually getting out there and running and cycling, but I think that some core work is a great addition. I would say you can get away without doing it but it definitely wouldnt be any harm. At the end of the day its personal choice!

As regards being out of your depth, I suppose that all depends on the training you do. You have plenty of time to get out there. Consistency is the key as far as I can see. Im sure if you put in the hours you'll have no trouble.

Today:

10 mins stretching.

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank
    10 one legged squats each leg

20 minutes foam rolling this evening which was agony! Hopefully a few weeks of this will really help when i get back to running and cycling. Time will tell.

• Advertisement

Yesterday:

Just some stretching and foam rolling

Today:

The usual:

10 mins stretching.

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

Tried to do some burpees after this but i didnt get very far. Every time I tried to explode back up to my feet I got a pain in my lower back. Ive a fair idea its because of tightness in my back muscles - too many hours sitting at my desk in work. Ill try them again, maybe first next time to see if its a fatigue thing thats causing it? Its amazing how tight I am from not stretching properly for a long time.

Hope to buy some kettle bells at some stage during this week as well so that I can add variety to some home work outs and not get quite so bored. It'll be a few weeks before Im even thinking about running or cycling so any variation I can get into my workouts/stretches will help with the boredom.

Still havent decided on starting wave for Gaelforce. I suppose Im better to go in one of the later ones, better to be passing people then be passed by people.

Todays workout was accompanied by some of this:

Wednesday 5/01/11

Lots of stretching followed by

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies*
    10 push ups

30 push ups and i was banjaxed!

(*not really but im not sure what its called. Basically i stand up straight with a dumbbell in each hand turned vertically and with my elbows held in against by body and the dumbbells held in front of me I turn both arms outwards which stretches my chest and shoulders? not sure if that makes any sense)

Thursday 06/01/11

Just some stretches before bed. Want home to do anything else. Nice to have day off anyway.

Friday 07/01/2011

Stretches, Im very stiff in my hips so im trying to work on loosening them at the moment. Hard to get a stretch that really gets in at it though.

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies*
    10 push ups

So lazy today. I was going to skip it. But I cant give up on this. Its all these exercises and mundane stretching thats going to get me back where i want to be running. :cool:

Today

5 mile walk, passed by loads of people running. Pretty frustrating but anyway! Walking is better than sitting on my backside indoors

Signed up to Gaelforce tonight. Its on like donkey kong! :D

Today

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

Lots of stretching as usual. Left this til late in the evening so it was tough enough. Got it done though.

Today

3 rounds:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

Followed by mobility work/foam rolling

• Advertisement

Today

Stretching

3 rounds:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

Boring!!!:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Maith an fear OP!
    Is there a thread for the adventure challenge??

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Maith an fear OP!
    Is there a thread for the adventure challenge??

Not yet as far as Ive seen. Im sure there will be soon though. If you search you'll find last years one which is huge and full of tips. Great read.

Today

Stretching

100 jumping jacks

3 rounds:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

100 jumping jacks.

Today

God i'm unfit...

20 burpees
    100 star jumps
    20 burpees
    100 star jumps
    20 burpees
    100 star jumps

And 5 minutes lying on the floor panting!!:D
    Burpees are a surprisingly effective exercise, they just destroyed me!!

3 rounds:

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

On a postive note i think this is helping loosen up my shoulders and upper back.

Today

Stretching

200 jumping jacks warm up

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

100 jumping jacks warm down

Today:

Stretching

20 Burpees x 3

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

Todays band of choice..

Today:

Stretching

20 Burpees x 3

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

Today:

Stretching

20 Burpees x 3

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

This just sucked. Nearly stopped lots of times. Absolutely killed my legs. I suppose Ive trained my legs a lot of late. I wont be doing anything for the next couple of days anyway because i wont have time, so the break is probably coming at a good time really.

Cant help but think of this when I think of my log...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

^^^^^

Great tune!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 changingman

I managed to do G.F. last August and am hoping to do it again, the one thing I plan to do this year is plenty of hill work. I did a bit on the bike last year, but will be doing plenty of hill running....trust me.

Today

Climbed the Sugar Loaf Mountain, took the longest route possible.

Hardly met any other people on it. Nice and peaceful.

Tiring on the legs, I felt it in my knees coming down. Made me appreciate how tough Croagh Patrick will be on the legs.

Hopefully Ill get lots of mountain running done. Thats the plan anyway. Start off with walking and work from there.

Today

First run in over a year. Knees were ok which was the good news.

The bad news. Ive lost any sort of fitness I had... completely.

3.15km in 17 minutes. A struggle to say the least, but noone said it would be easy.

On the positive side my first training run for Gaelforce West is complete!!!

And it was my first run with my new Garmin 305 which I found brilliant, even if the numbers showing on it werent exactly impressive.

Today:

Stretching

20 Burpees x 3

2 rounds of:

1 minute plank

3 rounds of:

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies

Poor day. Legs were so heavy. No energy, my own fault i havent eaten enough the past few days. Dissapointed it was a bad session but happy I got something done.

Today:

Walk around Howth head. Not exactly the most energetic effort but a good long walk. It was a lovely day for it too.

Its as good a time as any to evaluate progress. Ive been pretty consistent with my exercises for the month which im very happy about. The past few days have been a bit of a hiccup but ill be back to it this week. I hope to start running again gradually now. Maybe starting off with two runs a week or so. Also hopefully I will have my bike up in Dublin soon so that I can get out on that. Really miss it on nice days like today.

Diet wise Im getting there. I need more structure to my diet but im doing well staying away from sweets etc. One of my goals at that start of the month was to give up sweets, chocolate, crisps and fizzy drinks etc. And I have stuck to that so thats a bit of an achievement I think.

So for the next month the plan is to get back running and try to lose a bit of weight. Half a stone is my goal for February - it's a lot of weight but I like to set tough goals, makes achieving them all the better.

Weighing in at 14 stone today. The challenge begins!!

Today:

I RAN PROPERLY!!

AT LAST!!!!

Im delighted with myself:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

5.5km in a modest 29 minutes. Soo happy to get a proper run in without anything hurting or being shattered. Granted its hardly a great time or distance but im genuinely delighted with myself.

On days like today running is the best feeling in the world.

Oh and some little fuppin fuppers hit me with a water balloon while I ran down along the quays which was refreshing! Didnt give them the satisfaction of looking to see where it came from. Bounced off my hip and only burst when it hit the ground so it wasnt too bad!!

Yesterday:

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

15 Shoulder press
    15 Dumbbell flies
    10 push ups

Today:

4.93 kms run in 27.45 minutes.

Today:

Bright and early, two hour hilly walk around Bray Head.Bit wet but still a good morning for it.

Time for some rugby!!

:DCOME ON IRELAND:D

Today:

5.09km in 28 minutes.

Had to stop for about 2-3 minutes though to try to stretch my calves which were rock hard. I can only presume from yesterdays walking? Whatever caused it, it sucked

• Advertisement

Today:

Loads of stretching

3 rounds of:

1 minute plank

Boring!!!

Advertisement