Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Q re JSA

• 20-03-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

hey
    lookin for advise also,
    i'm on yr out from college(had baby in july), and was receiving btea, my jsb is running out in less than 2 weeks.....have applied for jsa, but don't think i'm gona qualify. hubby earns 462 per week and we have 3 kids. i need to b on some payment to qualify for btea to finish my degree...... my hubby has just been reduced money in his wages, but i was gona get him to ask his boss to reduce it further so as i can qualify for jsa, what is the highest he can earn and how many days a week......thanks for any advise

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

From citizen's information:
    Your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's income from employment is assessed in the means test for Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Their income from work is assessed in the same way as your income from work (if any). To work out what your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's means from work is:

Deduct €20 per day from your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's assessable earnings for each day worked up to a maximum of €60 (including Sunday)
    Next get 60% of the balance. This is assessed as his or her weekly means from work.
    Assessable weekly earnings - €20 per day (maximum €60 for 3 days work) = total x 60% = weekly means from work.

So if you spouse is working at least 3 days a week, and his earnings are €462 a week gross, your means are calculated as follows:

462 - 60 = 402.
    60% of 402 = 241.20

The rate for your family is 188 personal rate + 124.80 adult dependent + 29.80 * 3 children = 402.20 minus means 241.20 = €161 per week Jobseeker's Allowance.
    This figure isn't taking into account any PRSI or union dues your husband may be paying.
    Also if your husband is claiming then that wouldn't be what you receive, it would be calculated differently.

If your husband is working on average 19 hours or more a week, it would probably work out better for him to claim family income supplement and for you to claim JSA.
    You would then receive approx. €112.10 in JSA, and he would receive approx €77 in FIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elainerut

cee_jay wrote: »
    From citizen's information:
    Your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's income from employment is assessed in the means test for Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Their income from work is assessed in the same way as your income from work (if any). To work out what your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's means from work is:

Deduct €20 per day from your spouse's, civil partner's or cohabitant's assessable earnings for each day worked up to a maximum of €60 (including Sunday)
    Next get 60% of the balance. This is assessed as his or her weekly means from work.
    Assessable weekly earnings - €20 per day (maximum €60 for 3 days work) = total x 60% = weekly means from work.

So if you spouse is working at least 3 days a week, and his earnings are €462 a week gross, your means are calculated as follows:

462 - 60 = 402.
    60% of 402 = 241.20

The rate for your family is 188 personal rate + 124.80 adult dependent + 29.80 * 3 children = 402.20 minus means 241.20 = €161 per week Jobseeker's Allowance.
    This figure isn't taking into account any PRSI or union dues your husband may be paying.
    Also if your husband is claiming then that wouldn't be what you receive, it would be calculated differently.

If your husband is working on average 19 hours or more a week, it would probably work out better for him to claim family income supplement and for you to claim JSA.
    You would then receive approx. €112.10 in JSA, and he would receive approx €77 in FIS.

cheers for the gr8 reply, just two q's....if my hubby is working how can he b a dependant adult????
    what do u mean re: the prsi, do u mean the rate he pays [A rate]and union dues [not part of any union]
    and i will defo look into fis.

Jobseeker's Allowance is calculated on a rate for the family unit as a whole. As you are being assessed with means from his earnings, they give you an increase in your rate to allow for this. This increase is the Adult dependent rate.
    PRSI is an allowable deduction from his earnings - your means are calculated from his gross earnings, minus PRSI that he pays.
    You don't get this adult dependent increase if he is claiming in his own right, and if that is the case, you only receive half the child dependent rate also.

By the way, if you are in receipt of BTEA, then your weekly rate will be €188.

cheers for that, 462 is his take home pay, so i presume what i qualify for would b less. i was in my local office last week and they wouldn't tell me ne thing, they just said that i had to wait until my jsb ended for me to find out what i'm getting. hopefully i will get something, anything is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Make sure they transfer you onto JSA and nothing else, also get in touch with schemes as soon as possible before Sept to apply for the BTEA again.

At a total guess based on my family I'd say you are looking at €60 plus €14.50 per child per week, so about €85 per week. i dont think there is a cut off for the amount your spouse can earn to make you not entitled to JSA, its just higher earnings will erode your payment due to means. As long as you are claiming JSA, you should get BTEA.

Def look into getting your other half to apply for FIS.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Make sure they transfer you onto JSA and nothing else, also get in touch with schemes as soon as possible before Sept to apply for the BTEA again.

At a total guess based on my family I'd say you are looking at €60 plus €14.50 per child per week, so about €85 per week. i dont think there is a cut off for the amount your spouse can earn to make you not entitled to JSA, its just higher earnings will erode your payment due to means. As long as you are claiming JSA, you should get BTEA.

Def look into getting your other half to apply for FIS.

what sort of schemes do u mean, i have no clue bout any of this!!!!! if i get jsa i will have the right amount of time on jsa/jsb to qualify me again for btea. ( had already qualified for my 1st 2 yrs of my degree). thanks for all the help

Schemes is just a section in your local office where they do Back to Education and Back to Work and the likes.

thank you both for all your help, i've sent in bank statements as requested, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, was really hoping to have had something in writing at this stage.....i'm watching the post like a hawk, hopefully it'll all work out. thanks for takin the time to reply

Got word back from them on fri and they didn't give me anything,and that i don't qualify for credited contributions. They said my weekly rate would b 312.8 and our weekly means r 315. Firstly they only allowed for me and hubby, they didn't take the kids into consideration. Anyone know why they would do this. Would it b because hubby earns over a certain amount?
    Secondly, they totally ignored the letter that my hubby got from his boss to say that he had been given a pay cut and that payslips will b issued soon. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

elainerut wrote: »
    Got word back from them on fri and they didn't give me anything,and that i don't qualify for credited contributions. They said my weekly rate would b 312.8 and our weekly means r 315. Firstly they only allowed for me and hubby, they didn't take the kids into consideration. Anyone know why they would do this. Would it b because hubby earns over a certain amount?
    Secondly, they totally ignored the letter that my hubby got from his boss to say that he had been given a pay cut and that payslips will b issued soon. Cheers

There is something wrong here... you should also have been given an allowance for the children e.g. 29.80 per child. You should appeal this decision straight away and outline your reasons for appeal...e.g. you were not given an allowance for children when considering jsa and also state that your hubbys earnings have been reduced since you applied and that you have submitted a letter from his employer to verify this.

Going on the face value of what you said.. your personal allowances should be €312.80 + 3 children = €402.80. Lets say for the sake of argument hubby is earning €500 and is working full time his means would be calculated @ €264 approx (€500-60(3 X20 allowable) =€440 60% of this figure is €264). Therefore you would get payment of €138.80. Do you have capital of >€20,000?. Do you have property other than your ppr?

• Advertisement

eastbono wrote: »

There is something wrong here... you should also have been given an allowance for the children e.g. 29.80 per child. You should appeal this decision straight away and outline your reasons for appeal...e.g. you were not given an allowance for children when considering jsa and also state that your hubbys earnings have been reduced since you applied and that you have submitted a letter from his employer to verify this.

Going on the face value of what you said.. your personal allowances should be €312.80 + 3 children = €402.80. Lets say for the sake of argument hubby is earning €500 and is working full time his means would be calculated @ €264 approx (€500-60(3 X20 allowable) =€440 60% of this figure is €264). Therefore you would get payment of €138.80. Do you have capital of >€20,000?. Do you have property other than your ppr?

No other property except our home. Have sent off payslips and have written a note about not being allowed for kids. Just playin the waiting game again

No other property except our home. Have sent off payslips and have written a note about not being allowed for kids. Just playin the waiting game again

Dont just send a note off as you have to formally appeal the decision within 21 days of receiving it.

Dont just send a note off as you have to formally appeal the decision within 21 days of receiving it.
    Will ring their office tom again as they told me to just forward on payslips and a note. Cheers for the help

Will ring their office tom again as they told me to just forward on payslips and a note. Cheers for the help

No problem... let me know how you get on.

No problem... let me know how you get on.
    Got sorted within a week. They r giving me 120 a week which is a huge relief. Happy out. Thanks to everyone who offered me advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Similar situation for me.
    My Girlfriend has just got some work so her income will affect my allowance. For the life of me I cant figure if out if I will be getting a cut in my allowance which is 188 at the mo. She earns around 288 a week. We have no kids and dont claim any rent allowance, our rent is 700 a month.
    Does anyone know if I can expect less money from now on.
    Any help would be great

Advertisement