Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

battser wrote: »
    Just updated to ICS using the XDA latest 4.0.4. Did not root the phone just updated. Few issues so far which I am sure have happened before when I first upgrade the OS. But one I haven't seen is the inability to take a screenshot on the S2 now. Power and home just won't work for me.

Anyone see anything like this before?
    Try Volume down and Power together.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

SuprSi wrote: »
    That's weird - does the touch screen work when you're asked to enter your PIN code, or does the setup happen before this?

Touch screen doesn't respond to any touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Touch screen doesn't respond to any touches.

Have you tried reinstalling ICS?

Have you tried reinstalling ICS?

Surely JB would have sorted any software issues? I'll try ICS though, any trusted download link for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Surely JB would have sorted any software issues? I'll try ICS though, any trusted download link for it?

Sorry, I thought you installed ICS rather than JB. The original link I posted shows how to install ICS;

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/

• Advertisement

Sorry, I thought you installed ICS rather than JB. The original link I posted shows how to install ICS;

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/

I'll give it a try tomorrow, otherwise I'll just try flogging it off next week for cheap. Due an upgrade but needed my S2 to trade up against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

kingtiger wrote: »

Supernexus is one of the best Roms around

its well worth a look as it does away with Samsung's bloat and gives you a pure Android experience

Cool, I will probably try it. Is there any step by step guides out there that you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

dave_t wrote: »
    Cool, I will probably try it. Is there any step by step guides out there that you'd recommend?

sure,

www.teamandroid.com/2012/08/07/install-supernexus-android-411-aosp-jelly-bean-galaxy-s2-i9100-firmware/2/

this tutorial is for 4.1.1 but it's the same process for installing 4.2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

sure,

www.teamandroid.com/2012/08/07/install-supernexus-android-411-aosp-jelly-bean-galaxy-s2-i9100-firmware/2/

this tutorial is for 4.1.1 but it's the same process for installing 4.2.1

Great, thanks. Would you recommend changing to the Siyah kernel?

dave_t wrote: »
    Great, thanks. Would you recommend changing to the Siyah kernel?

yes definitely, cause when you get used to flashing firmware you can setup a dual boot to test out other roms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Have never rooted a phone before but have gotten fed up waiting on JB for my S2 so thinking of giving it a try.

Do you lose absolutely everything on your phone when you root and flash a new rom? i.e will messages/photos/log-in details all be wiped?

I still have 8 months left on my contract so fairly afraid of bricking the phone. Is there a (relatively) idiot proof guide to rooting the phone that anyone can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I reverted back to official JB ROM from Revolt JB. too many bugs, official is very good tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Anyone using Slim Bean 4.2.1 and got Netflix working? Disappointingly not working on mine, pretty good rom otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 robertrc01

I have never even attempted anything like this at all but i sent off my s2 to be fixed and for some reason it has come back rooted (i think) .

Basically i have an app called CWM and SU which ive been told its been rooted ?

The app SU doesnt appear to work and a warning comes up saying its a problem. I'm not happy at all tbh but seeing as its already done can i just upload the supernexus firmware onto my phone now ? I have no idea what im doing as you can probably tell and also dont have an SD card, does this matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭pedatron

robertrc01 wrote: »
    I have never even attempted anything like this at all but i sent off my s2 to be fixed and for some reason it has come back rooted (i think) .

Basically i have an app called CWM and SU which ive been told its been rooted ?

The app SU doesnt appear to work and a warning comes up saying its a problem. I'm not happy at all tbh but seeing as its already done can i just upload the supernexus firmware onto my phone now ? I have no idea what im doing as you can probably tell and also dont have an SD card, does this matter ?

You don't need an SD card. Download the supernexus rom and gapps from the xda page here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076650
    and copy them onto your phone memory. You then need to reboot your phone into recovery mode (sounds scary but its fine). You then need to do a factory reset on your phone (or else there will be glitches, probably). Then you will need to go into the flash zip from internal SD card option and find the files you copied from you computer earlier and flash them. Finally once they have completed installing you can wipe the cache and reboot into your new shiny ROM!

You can find guides 100% better than my rushed effort here in work when my boss isn't looking though. Just google it! :)

Cool thanks. So i dont need Odin or whatever its called ?

Currently downloading the supernexus file now

Thought id managed it and i think im almost there but have been greeted with a box saying 'unfortunatley the proccess com.google.procces.gapps has stopped' and also setup wizard has stopped ???

redid it and the same again ? Anyhelp would be very much appreciated .

managed it in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the battery life on supernexus is pretty poor.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »

Really ? Will take a couple days to get to grips with it but so far seems decent. Much prefer swype to the keyboard on it though. Gets rid of all bloatware which is great and seems a lot faster than what I'm used to

irishgeo wrote: »

hhmmm I have Supernexus on my wife's S2 and the battery life is brilliant, she is getting two days on one charge with moderate use

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

thinking of buying the s2 on amazon UK second hand, it's generally less than €250. do ye still think its an up to date phone or am I better off getting a different new phone (bear in mind i'll only be paying about 250 for whatever phone i get, something like the nokia lumia 620, or the lumia 900 second hand)

Really ? Will take a couple days to get to grips with it but so far seems decent. Much prefer swype to the keyboard on it though. Gets rid of all bloatware which is great and seems a lot faster than what I'm used to

Sorry robert. I wasn't online! Glad you got sorted. It probably needed a factory reset or something. Try the supernexus rom fro a bit but if you don't like it You should just try others. The process is the very same!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

hhmmm I have Supernexus on my wife's S2 and the battery life is brilliant, she is getting two days on one charge with moderate use

nope mine lasts one .

I have wifi on all day, moderate usage and its set to sleep after 15mins.

I dont have data on at all. I think its wake locks as google services try and phone home and i dont have wifi/data on.

pedatron wrote: »
    Sorry robert. I wasn't online! Glad you got sorted. It probably needed a factory reset or something. Try the supernexus rom fro a bit but if you don't like it You should just try others. The process is the very same!

It was a call of panic to anybody who was online so dont worry ha. I think i had the wrong 'gapps' file so just downloaded that and it was grand. I havent really been using it as ive been in work but it seems nice.

What are the most popular roms apart from supernexus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Testament1

Im on NeatROM. I like the layout out of it. Its more or less the Samsung version of JellyBean with a few tweaks. Battery life isnt great on it though. I get around 8 to 14 hours depending on usage, generally heavy usage of internet, facebook and twitter apps and a few of texts and calls.

It was a call of panic to anybody who was online so dont worry ha. I think i had the wrong 'gapps' file so just downloaded that and it was grand. I havent really been using it as ive been in work but it seems nice.

What are the most popular roms apart from supernexus ?

Most popular was Resurrection Remix no doubt. I used it for ages but the latest version was v buggy for me! . Paranoid android is very popular as well looking at view counts. I prefer a stock vanilla andorid rom that runs smooth and does whats asked of it well and not much more. You can get roms like PA that does amazing things but I just haven't the need for them and they often bring along glitches with them.

Look here and find something that suits your usage.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1058

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1204

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Chameleon 3.0 is out of beta!
    Samsung base 4.1.2 (XWLS8) with AOKP style and features, noice.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1847600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi, OP from almost two years ago here!!

My old SGS is now being used primarily as a gaming and movie watching device for one of my kids. It's running RR ICS V2.6 by Westcrip Android 4.0.4 but doesn't have a camera app which I'm being asked to fix.

What is the current best/vanilla ROM which delivers good performance and long battery life? Doesn't have to be the latest version of Android, just something rock solid which has good battery life.

I've been out of the SGS2 ROM flashing loop for a while so would appreciate any suggestions people have.

Cheers.

Ben

Advertisement