Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,065 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm on X-Box. Will be getting the DLC if it goes on discount, but probably won't play it for a while. Have Demon's Souls waiting on my brother's PS3 so will be playing that to "relax" over the christmas.

Regardless, the DLC is well worth the price, whatever it is. I'm sure you've seen the praise in earlier posts but it's one of the rarest examples of "good DLC".

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Regardless, the DLC is well worth the price, whatever it is. I'm sure you've seen the praise in earlier posts but it's one of the rarest examples of "good DLC".

Ah yeah I know, I will get it eventually but can't afford to pay full price for it at the moment. Also it costs 5 euros more than what I paid for the full game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

krudler wrote: »
    Getting to the gargoyles is easy enough, if you take the Valley of Drakes route to Darkroot garden then up the tower to the Taurus Demon and across to Undead Parish you can skip a pile of stuff, running like a girl the whole way lol

I take the Valley of the Drakes to skip Upper Blighttown and get to Queelag. I'd usually plough through Undead Burg as I like to level up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any PC players, the Steam version is on Kinguin for €8.95

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

penev10 wrote: »
    I take the Valley of the Drakes to skip Upper Blighttown and get to Queelag. I'd usually plough through Undead Burg as I like to level up a bit.

There's a handy sniping spot in Queelags lair over on the left if you run up between two of the big egg sacs you can chuck magic or whatever at her and she can't reach you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

krudler wrote: »
    That was cool yeah, there wasn't much build to the the final boss tbh, just walk in the door and there he is, legging towards you. The game in general doesn't really make it clear if killing Gwyn is a good or bad thing, which is the point I suppose, I walked out the door. Kiln of the First Flame is a cool area though, I shoulda farmed those knights more before I fought Gwyn they were dropping titanite like no tomorrow.

If I got the dlc would it be NG+ if I go there in that save? I really don't fancy fighting Artorias in extra hard mode lol

Is killing any of them good or bad? All the bosses are just chillin or guarding something/someone until some undead nobody who's had his head filled with some weird prophecy shows up and swings a sword at them.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    If he DLC is discounted on Monday I'll be left with the decision of whether to do it on NG++ or start again from scratch.

++ you know you want to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I started this again last night, and started a new magic based character. I'd not even finished my run through with my dex based character last time, but fancy a change with magic. Will probably steam roll it, as it already seems crazy powerful.

Looking forward to Dark Souls 2 even more now.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Is killing any of them good or bad? All the bosses are just chillin or guarding something/someone until some undead nobody who's had his head filled with some weird prophecy shows up and swings a sword at them.

Ha true, sure that Capra Demon was just out walking his dogs til I ran in and battered him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

watching a guy play it on twitch at the moment
    he has certain rules he must follow

only 1 life
    cannon sit down at a bonfire unless he has full health
    cannot use flasks to heal(can use humanity etc...)
    speed run(without glitchs )
    sl1 cannot level up

so far hes got the vessal and beath seth, hes making his way now to the ceaseless monster? dying to see if he gets one shot killed ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Have played this to death on PS3 but I've picked it up on PC I'm trying to get online but GFWL is really causing me problems that are making me want to forget the whole thing.

I can play offline but that's half the enjoyment gone. Anyone else have issues where Dark Souls won't recognise that you're signed into GFWL and only starts in offline mode?

• Advertisement

How important in Dex in a magic build? Does it significantly reduce cast times, or is it a minor improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Kiith wrote: »
    How important in Dex in a magic build? Does it significantly reduce cast times, or is it a minor improvement?

IMO, the extra bit of speed in casting is not worth the stat investment unless you are already using Dex for a weapon (i.e minor improvement). I'd say the top 'spell' in the game that would benefit most from the high Dex for casting speed is the Combustion spells. If your casting Sorceries or Miracles when an enemy is right at you you are f*cked anyway. Combustion is id say the only spell that would require you to use it quickly if an enemy/player is very close to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

It depends on what weapon you decide to use though, you won't go through the whole game using only magic because of limited casts and a magic build in pvp is practically useless until you get Persuers and Dark Bead, then it's bull****. On my magic build I have a +5 Enchanted Iiato and Great Scyth which scale with Dex aswell as Int.

As for cast time improvement, it's minimal and even at 40+ Dex the difference will barely be noticable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Kiith wrote: »
    I started this again last night, and started a new magic based character. I'd not even finished my run through with my dex based character last time, but fancy a change with magic. Will probably steam roll it, as it already seems crazy powerful.

I thought the same, and have a nicely levelled Magic build, which is fine, until you hit the Dukes archives where everything, Seath Included, is quite resistant to magic.

Decided to make a Samurai build using the 3 katanas for a bit of a difference. Thinking of having a +15 Iiato, Chaos Blade, and +5 Fire Washing Pole. Need to find some suitable armor now but guess it'll be mostly light gear, no shield and fairly low level run so I can get plenty invasions/co-op.

This'll be a good day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

penev10 wrote: »
    How do you get down to the swamp taking that route? I did it on my last playthrough thinking I was taking out Blighttown but then when you go through the cave and down the Blightown ladders you just find yourself at the top of the waterwheel lift and you cant drop down from there without killing yourself, no? I just homeward boned back to firelink cos I thought I couldn't get down.

You take the lift down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

GK1001 wrote: »
    How do you get down to the swamp taking that route? I did it on my last playthrough thinking I was taking out Blighttown but then when you go through the cave and down the Blightown ladders you just find yourself at the top of the waterwheel lift and you cant drop down from there without killing yourself, no? I just homeward boned back to firelink cos I thought I couldn't get down.
    You can just hop on the water wheel and let it bring you down. You'll be right beside the bonfire in the drain/cave too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

OdgeXD wrote: »
    You take the lift down
    Really??? Ah f*** f*** f*** sh** f*** sh** f***
    So just the other side then
    F***in spa

GK1001 wrote: »
    Really??? Ah f*** f*** f*** sh** f*** sh** f***
    So just the other side then
    F***in spa

The wheel has big platforms you can stand on to get down, Queelag is over the right, I friggin' hate Blightown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,236 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dark souls PTD is 6 euro on steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Big Knox wrote: »
    Have played this to death on PS3 but I've picked it up on PC I'm trying to get online but GFWL is really causing me problems that are making me want to forget the whole thing.

I can play offline but that's half the enjoyment gone. Anyone else have issues where Dark Souls won't recognise that you're signed into GFWL and only starts in offline mode?

afaik and i could be wrong but GFWL has been discontinued.

Bought it off steam and it plays fine apart from being the best example EVER of why porting from console to pc should be avoided.has to be played witha pad and have mods installed so you can play it the way the pc master race would want it played :)

Has to be played with a pad because that's how the game was designed. FROM are a console developer and this was their first ever attempt at a PC release, albeit a port. There were always going to be issues.

Has to be played with a pad because that's how the game was designed. FROM are a console developer and this was their first ever attempt at a PC release, albeit a port. There were always going to be issues.

still a half arsed attempt...like I said it has to be the worst port Ive ever played and im sure they arent the only pure console developer to attempt a pc port.Dont mind fiddling around under the hood to get the graffics/resolution right on a pc,all they had to do on their end was the controls...

And how would you suggest they map out the controls on a keyboard? The controls were designed solely for a pad, they weren't to know they'd be pressured into a PC release.

And how would you suggest they map out the controls on a keyboard?

like every other developer that has done it before them,make a decent attempt at getting it right,and not only did they get it wrong,it made it down right unplayable.Mapping controls from console to pc and vice versa at this stage is not rocket science.

Again,as I said earlier I dont mind messing under the hood to get graphics/screen resolution right or trying to increase the FPS beyond 30 because they are a console developer,thats what they do.controls shouldnt be that hard.

WASD translates to the left controller,mouse for the right stick and all other keys should be configured to suit kb/mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

To be fair they only did port it on to PC as there was so much call for it from the PC community, they had no intention of actually porting it originally.

But yeah, they probably should have gotten a third party in to do it or something.

I don't really mind that they didn't bother with the keyboard/mouse binding. It's would take a lot of work to get it working well with a kb/m, and it's pretty much perfect with a pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'm always a keyboard/mouse kind of guy and rarely want to use a gamepad unless I have to but Dark Souls definitely a game that should be played on a gamepad.

Thankfully due to the popularity on the PC, the developers said they will be alot more careful in regards the PC version for Dark Souls 2. Even if they map the controls on the Mouse/Keyboard right, I'll still gonna use a gamepad.

• Advertisement

Same here, it's more enjoyable on the pad.

On another note...**** you Blighttown :(

Advertisement