Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

menoscemo wrote: »

last year the HH programme just didn't cut it for me and I died in the last 7 miles (as did most of the boys in the Novice group).

This is not what I want to hear at this stage :eek:

Any advise on what I could do in the build up to DCM to avoid hitting the wall???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

This is not what I want to hear at this stage :eek:

Any advise on what I could do in the build up to DCM to avoid hitting the wall???

Take your long runs slow and don't get injured!! I was injured a god few times in fairness (only for a week or so at a time) though I also took a 5 week holiday in July which in retrospect was not a good Idea.
    I actually think most of the lads got injured in fairness- this was probably caused by us all trying to run too fast in training!!

5 miles recovery
    5.1 miles @8:53 pace Av Hr 133

Recovery from what? Well my knee-cap definately has a pain in it. I am pretty sure that it is not running related. I must have got a bang on it after a few too many pints on saturday night. I can't remember anything specific though :confused:
    I didn't want to risk a longer run. I have to run a 12 and a 20 before sunday. Sunday is the Parkewest 10k race so i'll be having a few warm up miles early in the morning to make it the 10m w 6 @LT as prescribed by P&D this week. So tomorrow will have to be either the 12 or the 20 and friday the other. I guess I'll go out for 12 tomorrow with an open mind to extend it to 20 if all goes well. That would be the ideal scenario actually. If I can get the 20 done tomorrow I'll be well recovered by sunday.

This week will be my last last official week of training until mid august. I am off next friday for a 2 week holiday to the states. I will definately be running but not to a plan, hopefully I can just finish off the 1000 mile challenge and when I come back I'll jump back into the P&D plan week 8.

Didn't make it home from work until after 6:30 so didn't make it out for my run till well after 7pm. I hadn't had anything to eat since 2pm. It really looked like was only going to make 12 tonight and not 20. I had the knee strapped up this evening with worries over the niggle, and surprisingly the strapping didn't hinder me at all. After 3 miles I was already starving and I had only brought one gel :rolleyes:, however the lgs felt great so I pushed on. By the time I had 10 done I was at least 5 from home so I was going to have to do the 20. At 15 I was starving and starting to slow. I noticed at this point my HR was rising, I guess the body was burning fat stores. At 17 I was in Chapelizod and veered off looking for a shop to buy a bar of chocolate but it was closed. I mentally HTFU'd at this stage and got home without much bother including the big uphill at chapelizod hill. I passed an open shop in Ballyfermot but at this stage I was only a mile and a half from home so I pushed on.

Total 20.1 miles @ 9:06 pace, HR 139
    second longest run ever. Delighted with that, but lesson learned- Next time bring more gels/food or at least have a bigger lunch :pac:

Knee held up perfectly. Don't think it was ever a real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

More top quality running! Must have been about 10pm by the time you were finished?! I'm a terror for not eating enough before long runs as well, but if I'm doing them in the evening I always try to get a small snack in @ about 4pm, deffo helps to get around...

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    More top quality running! Must have been about 10pm by the time you were finished?! I'm a terror for not eating enough before long runs as well, but if I'm doing them in the evening I always try to get a small snack in @ about 4pm, deffo helps to get around...

Yeah, me too. I just wasn't in the office from 2.30pm on and didn't get a chance. Didn't decide I was doing 20 until about 8 miles in. Legs are absolutely fine today- not an ache; they were the same last night, so the struggles at the end of the run were purely hunger based.
    Didn't get home to 10:15pm last night and no dinner till nearly 11 :eek:
    Pm'd you there. see you sunday.

Work has got in the way for the last two days so I never got out to run that 12 miler until this morning. I was thinking that it is not ideal to be running a 12 miler the day before a 10k race but then I thought of RQ who is doing a marathon today and the 10k race tomorrow :eek:

11.5 miles at 8:38 pace, Av HR 144
    Very hilly course but the run felt very easy, probably due to a 2 day taper :pac: I pushed the pace to sub 8 minutes for a mile and a bit in the middle to test the knee and it felt 100%
    Really looking forward to the race tomorrow. Goal is to beat my PB from the great Ireland Run (43:44) and hopefully to push into 42:XX.

Great race. I really enjoyed it. Some poeple complained that that it was a bit hilly but in my opiniion it was as flat as a road race can be.
    I Tried to do an even pace run but ended up going out fast as usual.
    Splitts went as follows (time, av) hr : mile 1 6:31 (168), 6:46 (170), 6:53 (172), 6:45 (173), 6:48, (174), 6:54 (175) last .21 Pace 6:56 (177).
    total 10k in 42:07 av pace 6:47, av HR 172

Prerace I ran 4 miles warm up at (9:30 pace

I really gave this my all. I ended up puking for 30 seconds after the race, that shows i tried as hard as i could:eek: I think.

weeekly total 5 runs 54 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Puking after the race - you're becoming a real runner all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great result ! Well done.
    Prerace I ran 4 miles warm up at (9:30 pace

Wow - that quite a warm up ! Is that a normal warm up for you or were you treating this as LT++/VO2 session. ?
    I really gave this my all. I ended up puking for 30 seconds after the race, that shows i tried as hard as i could:eek: I think.

It's a good feeling to know that you've not left anything out on the course. The experience in finding (the current limit) is invaluable.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Great result ! Well done.

Wow - that quite a warm up ! Is that a normal warm up for you or were you treating this as LT++/VO2 session. ?

It's a good feeling to know that you've not left anything out on the course. The experience in finding (the current limit) is invaluable.

Cheers PG. Yeah, I was treating it as last weeks LT session, 10 miles with 6 LT. I actually find it great to have a little jog the morning of the race, it loosens the legs up nicely. I actually did those 4 about 3 hours before the race start.
    I definately pushed the limits yesterday, I was just looking at the HR Stats on the Garmin and I have a new max HR. I hit 187 on on of the little uphills near the end. Looks like I have a little more leeway than I thought for some of the easy/recovery runs.

Recovery today. I'll do 3 runs on tuesday-thursday without following any programme. I'll be off to the states for 2 weeks on friday.

PG, I'll just PM you my number now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Jaysus that's some running there menopause. Man hell of a lot of progress in a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope your head hurts today. :P

I hope your head hurts today. :P

Only a bit, but going into work this morning I was a bit Jitterry to say the least :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Only a bit, but going into work this morning I was a bit Jitterry to say the least :pac:

What time did you go home pal? Was Xerox with you til the end.

OI wrote: »
    What time did you go home pal? Was Xerox with you til the end.

Who's this Xerox that you talk about? And yes I was, my alarm going off at 0445 this morning wasn't pleasant!!

Here's a mile race for you: http://bhaa.ie/article.php?story=aviva2010

Let's see what your mile time really is...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sounds like fun :D

Who's this Xerox that you talk about? And yes I was, my alarm going off at 0445 this morning wasn't pleasant!!

No, wouldn't say it was, I could easily have stayed for another couple of hours and had a few more bulmers berrys, arrived home and pigged out on Indian, slept very well, good to get out for the day

Ah feck!! That looks fantastic but I have to go up north on wednesday for a dental appointment. Jesus, I'd nearly come back down the same day for that.......

OI late night Chinese and cans, not sure but it 10pm+

• Advertisement

3.5 miles this evening @ 8:30 pace
    It was my last day of work for the next 4 weeks, so I was dying to get away. I just managed this short run to help get the legs loosened. I am heading up to Tyrone for a few nights before flying to the states on friday morning. Planning to get about 20 miles over the next two days to get me past 950 miles for the year. That should give me a chance of finishing the 100 mile challenge in cetral park :)

10.8 miles @8:34 pace. Av HR 146

HR a little high but I was running over very hilly roads (well for me anyway) 140m climbs over the 11ish miles.

Cherry Orchard 'service station' Mars refuel HEAVEN! :D

Cherry Orchard 'service station' Mars refuel HEAVEN! :D

Thanks, will stock up tomorrow :D
    Will be doing my run tomorrow evening. Do you fancy a spin around the park or is the chest still giving you jip?

Thanks, will stock up tomorrow :D
    Will be doing my run tomorrow evening. Do you fancy a spin around the park or is the chest still giving you jip?

Chest is in a jock today and yesterday but planned a run in the park tomorrow anyway. What time are you heading out at?

Chest is in a jock today and yesterday but planned a run in the park tomorrow anyway. What time are you heading out at?

Probably after 4pm as I still have to get back to Dublin tomorrow. Other than that I am felxible.

11.5 miles tonight @8:50 pace. HR 141

Last run out before the holiday. Nice run in the park with RQ. I am off tomorrow on my holiday so that's all I'll be doing this month I guess.
    Totals for the month:

January 112 miles ( 41st overall on the 1000 mile table)
    February 73.6 ( 52nd)
    March: 117 miles ( 52nd)
    April: 141.8 for 444.4 miles total for the year(41st)
    May: 155.7 for 600.1 miles total (36th)
    June: 152 for 752.1 Total (28th)
    July:201.1 for 953.2 total (22nd)

Wow, happy to see I cleared 200 for the month. Just under 50 left to complete the 1000. I would love to do it in my 2 weeks away finishing it off in central park before I come home. Realistically it is not likely though as I will be drinking for the first week solid and also I heard it is 40 celcius in Phildelphia where I am headed first. I wonder if I'll run there at all. I suppose I'll try to at least run up the steps that Rocky did in Rocky 3 :pac:

Have a good holiday, mind the sun stroke, see ya in August

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Enjoy the big apple. feel free to bring me back a few pairs of runners, seeing as they are half price over there, haha.

dont forget to keep posting the miles, so we'll know when you hit the 1000M in Central Park. And youtube the run up the Philly steps. :cool:

• Advertisement

I'm a 6.5 UK sizes by the way, I hope you have a big suitcase. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement