Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family Leave Bill - Paternity leave

Options
  • 04-03-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

I saw in the Indo the other day that this bill is due to be passed this year with hopefully two weeks paid paternity leave included.
    Has anyone heard when this is likely to pass this year?
    Is there any hope for those of us with a wife that is already pregnant (due end of September'ish) ? :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm guessing it'll go through in the next budget and take effect next year so i'm afraid it's doubtful you'll get it. I'm in the same boat, baby #3 and definitely the last is due in June, it would have been nice to get this on at least one of them as 2 weeks would make such a difference. My hubby never took more than 1 week off and then it was annual leave :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

When they say paid leave do they mean full pay by employer, or something similar to maternity benefit? Surely it can't be the first seeing as employers aren't even obliged to give women any payment during maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭WittyName1

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    When they say paid leave do they mean full pay by employer, or something similar to maternity benefit? Surely it can't be the first seeing as employers aren't even obliged to give women any payment during maternity leave.

It will be a payment from the government, like maternity benefit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I'd say there's no hope for anyone this year. It's all voting buying so it'd be lucky to go through even for next budget. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The Bill hasn't even been published so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im bumping this thread to see if any further progress has been made on this?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

lazygal wrote: »

Thanks but I still cant tell when its going to be/is enacted.

It's a private members Bill. Safe to say it won't be enacted. As the government hasn't yet published its own Bill on it I wouldn't count on paid paternity leave any time before the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

having read the bill you link, that is about bereavement and nothing to do with paternity leave?

I think this would be a vote getter without a huge amount of opposition, so would not be shocked if it were fast tracked.

[I work in IT and already have two paid weeks, but loads and loads of folks have nothing or only a few days]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well, IBEC managed to oppose the idea when it was floated a few weeks ago. Quite incredible stuff.

The most recent news story I can see is this one from 29 May. It says James Reilly has commissioned a group to examine the issue of childcare but also paternity leave and extending periods of shared parental leave to as much as a year.

It says the report is due in June so should be coming soon? Hopefully it will still happen in the lifetime of this government.

Judging from this overview by the European Parliament done in December 2014, Ireland is one of only 8 EU member states that don't offer any paternity leave.

Advertisement