Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higg's Boson. Almost there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Right, great stuff ... nothing more to discover in physics now it seems ... although there's that whole thing with those pesky neutrinos. So ... anyone for a pint?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

3.30pm this afternoon apparently is when they to plan to announce their preliminary findings.
    A formal claim to have discovered it is probably months down the road.
    Still.... exciting times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Very excited about this :)

Here is live feed for anyone interested. It's starting in a few minutes.

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

brimal wrote: »
    Very excited about this :)

Here is live feed for anyone interested. It's starting in a few minutes.

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/

Stream wont work for me :( ....

Is anyone else having problems?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No concrete evidence yet, only hints according to the bbc report.

Am I the only one who would be more excited if they didnt find the Higgs Boson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

"The Higgs boson is the only particle left in our understanding of particle physics (called the Standard Model) that we haven’t discovered"

What is meant by this? What about the Graviton? Or is this not in the Standard Model?

Also, just another question, how can we say particles that exist for only a really really really small amount of time, like the theoretical Higgs Boson, really exists and has an influence on the universe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

shizz wrote: »
    Also, just another question, how can we say particles that exist for only a really really really small amount of time, like the theoretical Higgs Boson, really exists and has an influence on the universe?

From my admittedly limited understanding - the 'theoretical' Higgs Boson is needed to explain why matter has mass.

Seconds after the 'Big Bang' all matter was mass-less, uniform and evenly distributed.

Something caused some matter to become 'massive', ie to have mass. This led to matter coming together through the force of gravity leading to little clumps in the otherwise uniformity of the early universe.

This was essential for the formation of stars and galaxies and life.

The Higgs mechanism is the theory explaining how it came about that matter gained mass (through interactions of matter with the Higgs field)

The Higgs boson would be evidence of the Higgs mechanism. Thus discovery of the Higgs boson would lead to evidence of the Higgs mechanism, which would be a confirmation of the standard model of Physics, which would lead to a greater understanding of the elemental forces of the universe.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah that's pretty much how I understand the concept behind it, but I am just asking generally how something, which has to be created through extreme energy and last only for an extremely small amount of time, can have such an influence on the universe. Obviously it must be a basic part of particle physics and there is a lot more to it than I know.

Without the full context of the theoretical models, all attempts to explain the Higgs field are simplistic, and yet, it seems important to grasp its meaning since this field is so fundamental to our physical universe. Here is the best layperson's explanation we have found, from a contest held in Britain, that places the Higgs field in a more "information-type" context.

Imagine a cocktail party of political party workers who are uniformly distributed across the floor, all talking to their nearest neighbours. The ex-Prime Minister enters and crosses the room. All of the workers in her neighbourhood are strongly attracted to her and cluster round her. As she moves she attracts the people she comes close to, while the ones she has left return to their even spacing. Because of the knot of people always clustered around her she acquires a greater mass than normal, that is she has more momentum for the same speed of movement across the room. Once moving she is hard to stop, and once stopped she is harder to get moving again because the clustering process has to be restarted.

In three dimensions, and with the complications of relativity, this is the Higgs mechanism. In order to give particles mass, a background field is invented which becomes locally distorted whenever a particle moves through it. The distortion - the clustering of the field around the particle - generates the particle's mass.

• Advertisement

Leave it to The Economist to come up with a succinct analysis.

http://www.economist.com/node/21541797?fsrc=nlw%7Cnewe%7C12-14-2011%7Cnew_on_the_economist

Without the full context of the theoretical models, all attempts to explain the Higgs field are simplistic, and yet, it seems important to grasp its meaning since this field is so fundamental to our physical universe. Here is the best layperson's explanation we have found, from a contest held in Britain, that places the Higgs field in a more "information-type" context.

Imagine a cocktail party of political party workers who are uniformly distributed across the floor, all talking to their nearest neighbours. The ex-Prime Minister enters and crosses the room. All of the workers in her neighbourhood are strongly attracted to her and cluster round her. As she moves she attracts the people she comes close to, while the ones she has left return to their even spacing. Because of the knot of people always clustered around her she acquires a greater mass than normal, that is she has more momentum for the same speed of movement across the room. Once moving she is hard to stop, and once stopped she is harder to get moving again because the clustering process has to be restarted.

In three dimensions, and with the complications of relativity, this is the Higgs mechanism. In order to give particles mass, a background field is invented which becomes locally distorted whenever a particle moves through it. The distortion - the clustering of the field around the particle - generates the particle's mass.

Yeah that's a good explanation but I understand the concept of the higgs field. Im just wondering what's the explanation for how something that requires so much energy to exist can be said to have such an influence on the universe. I'm just wondering now because I've just taken it for granted up until now that they just do.

shizz wrote: »
    Yeah that's a good explanation but I understand the concept of the higgs field. Im just wondering what's the explanation for how something that requires so much energy to exist can be said to have such an influence on the universe. I'm just wondering now because I've just taken it for granted up until now that they just do.

I'm working on it now.
    Should have it done by tea time.
    See you in Stockholm.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

Basically we need to create the particle and study its behaviour as a way of studying the Higgs field itself, it is actually the field which has the important effect on nature. In the complete absence of any Higgs particles (which can be thought of as excitations of the field) the field still exists, has a non-zero value everywhere in the universe and interacts with various other fields (electron, W, Z etc) in such a way as to give the particles of those fields mass. But to learn more about the properties and interactions of the Higgs field we have to use the properties and interactions of the Higgs boson (the interactions of the particle are determined by the field, so if we know how the particle behaves we can say that the field must occur in the theory in such-and-such a way).

For a pretty good FAQ about this, try Matt Strassler's blog.

Basically we need to create the particle and study its behaviour as a way of studying the Higgs field itself, it is actually the field which has the important effect on nature. In the complete absence of any Higgs particles (which can be thought of as excitations of the field) the field still exists, has a non-zero value everywhere in the universe and interacts with various other fields (electron, W, Z etc) in such a way as to give the particles of those fields mass. But to learn more about the properties and interactions of the Higgs field we have to use the properties and interactions of the Higgs boson (the interactions of the particle are determined by the field, so if we know how the particle behaves we can say that the field must occur in the theory in such-and-such a way).

For a pretty good FAQ about this, try Matt Strassler's blog.

Thanks man, I'll get to reading it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭valen

Usually they build a linear collider after they work out what energy levels they need to study in a circular one. Though, it's an interesting dance between scientists & politicians; "I thought you found the Higgs ?" - "Well, yeah but now we need to build a really big machine to study it properly".

John

Physics World is hinting that the discovery of the Higgs will be announced next week.
    Fingers crossed!

http://clicks.dbg-i.co.uk/DC/ViewEmailInBrowser.aspx?646C76=313636383532&736272=$$E6GQaI2RkJvAEEE&66=30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Physics World is hinting that the discovery of the Higgs will be announced next week.
    Fingers crossed!

http://clicks.dbg-i.co.uk/DC/ViewEmailInBrowser.aspx?646C76=313636383532&736272=$$E6GQaI2RkJvAEEE&66=30

It was found but they lost it - clumsy physicists!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

Announcement of THE Higgs Boson coming tomorrow from CERN, I'm surprised there's not more mention on here of it, its all over my twitter at the moment, i'm actually getting really really really buzzed.... This could be it!!!!!! :eek: :D

Peter Higgs is gonna be there ffs so this must be it!!
    Anyone else gonna be following the live feed?

Link - http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22010-birth-of-a-boson-the-higgs-has-more-than-one-daddy.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

is this live on-line?

the wonders of google

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/07/watch-live-higgs-talk/

• Advertisement

http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html

Any second now!

EDIT : I see you found it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Watched a few minutes of the presentation there.

I feel totally thick :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

and they didnt show the graph with the 5 standard deviations,

thats what it'd look like: ???

and this is what we have: ???

Higgs confirmed, to raptuous applause!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5 sigma so They're 99.9999999999% sure

I'm wishing I knew more behind the maths here :o
    Simultaneously following relevent tweets from CERN and others, thats helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Simultaneously folling relevent tweets from CERN and others, thats helping.

From who? Share! :)

New Scientist and Brian Cox tweets being the most helpful :D

@ProfBrianCox , @newscientist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Formal annoucement made in the last two minutes that they have "discovered" a new particle. No other details given, for now.

"It's all consistent with a Standard Model Higgs at 125 GeV mass, but lots of work to do" - Brian Cox

"To conclude: Using just photon and lepton decays from CMS significance is 5 sigma for a #Higgs of 125.3 Gev" - New Scientist

"Ooh, we just got *above* 5 sigma - 5.1 if you add in the bottom quark decay channel. Exceeding expectations #higgs" - New Scientist

"RT @CMSExperiment #ICHEP2012 #Higgs seminar @CERN: Applause on the ZZ + gamma-gamma combination: 5.0 sigma!" - CERN

"And combined - 5 sigma. Round of applause. That's a discovery of a Higgs - like particle at CMS. They thank LHC for the data!" - Brian Cox

"In simple language, CMS have discovered a new boson, and it behaves like the Standard Model Higgs"
    - Brian Cox

For those that don't have twitter :) This is MASSIVE ^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Brian Cox ‏@ProfBrianCox
    So, in very simple language. ATLAS and CMS have independently discovered a new particle mass ~ 126 GeV which behaves like SM Higgs
    CERN ‏@CERN
    #ATLAS combined results give a local significance of 5 sigma at 126.5 GeV. Audience goes wild. “I’m not done yet, there’s more” says Fabiola

• Advertisement

"So, in very simple language. ATLAS and CMS have independently discovered a new particle mass ~ 126 GeV which behaves like SM Higgs"
    "We are entering the era of Higgs measurements" says ATLAS - LHC has performed miracles beyond design" - Brian Cox

Advertisement