Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guild Wars 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Getting 65fps average with an overclocked I5 and a geforce gtx670 (also overclocked), everything is maxed and the resolution is 1080.

Anyone having issues with performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

humanji wrote: »
    Also, has anyone come up against any bugs yet? I've had two which kind of cancel each other out. One was when at level 11, I was 1-shotted by a level 10 dragonfly. And to counter-act that, in an instance I became invulnerable and wasn't taking any damage at all. Anyone get any others?

There's a char event where you join a war party, it doesn't kick off, funny to see 20 people all standing around waiting for it to kick off, except for that it has been relatively bug free for me so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

do ya need a high end computer to play this?
    also is it like wow you pay monthly? sorry cant check this up meself in work and most things are blocked ha

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

saiint wrote: »
    also is it like wow you pay monthly? sorry cant check this up meself in work and most things are blocked ha
    It doesn't need to good a machine to run, but obviously the better you have, the better it will look and run. And no, you don't pay monthly. You pay once and then you can also spend money on the in-game shop, but that's not necessary in order to play the full game (it's just for cosmetic stuff and a few character boosts etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,626 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ive come across a pretty annoying account bug that seems to only be affecting me, basically when i add friends i cant see their account name only their current character which makes things confusing, also people dont seem to be able to add me as a friend, whenever people try they just get "no character with that name"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote:
    What's the story with the overflow? When an area is full, you're dumped into it, but is there any reason that this is a problem, other than if you were trying to meet up with specific players?
    The overflow is exactly the same as the main instance. The only issue is when you are trying to play with other people. There is a 'Join in' feature, but it's not working properly at the moment. I tend to stay in the overflow server, as events can reset if you switch.
    humanji wrote:
    And what do you do with trait points? I remember using them in the beta (I only played the first beta, so it was a while ago), but can't figure them out this time and there doesn't seem to be any explanation anywhere. The traits screen has all the options greyed out (but I've got 2 or 3 points to use), and a mouse-over hint mentioned going to the trainer, but the trainer doesn't tell me anything.
    You need to buy a skill book from your trainer at lvl11. After that, you can start putting points into your traits, and then select your major traits.
    humanji wrote:
    Also, has anyone come up against any bugs yet? I've had two which kind of cancel each other out. One was when at level 11, I was 1-shotted by a level 10 dragonfly. And to counter-act that, in an instance I became invulnerable and wasn't taking any damage at all. Anyone get any others?
    I've had a few bugs, but nothing game breaking. Fairly smooth launch so far, bar the 3 hour downtime of the login servers on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Just bought it and downloaded it. Hadn't played the beta.

I'm only a few minutes in and This game is.......weird :p. I picked one of those little lads the asura I think they are called. Everything is crazy and the NPC's talk about stuff I've no clue about and I'm so confused. Oh, and one of the NPC's is voiced by Felicia Day apparently. I recognised her voice instantly.

I'm only level 3 and I find it weird that when you die, you can still fight and they rez yourself? It's all so odd.

I'm liking it so far though.....I think. It's all so alien it's hard to tell! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kirby wrote: »
    Just bought it and downloaded it. Hadn't played the beta.

I'm only a few minutes in and This game is.......weird :p. I picked one of those little lads the asura I think they are called. Everything is crazy and the NPC's talk about stuff I've no clue about and I'm so confused. Oh, and one of the NPC's is voiced by Felicia Day apparently. I recognised her voice instantly.

I'm only level 3 and I find it weird that when you die, you can still fight and they rez yourself? It's all so odd.

I'm liking it so far though.....I think. It's all so alien it's hard to tell! :p
    Yeah, I started with one of those little nerds too and I've just stopped paying attention to what they said as most of it was gibberish. I still get the gist of the storyline, but the details mean nothing to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

saiint wrote: »

I'll post my specs here, because I think I'm at the very bare minimum of what's needed to play.

Windows 7 Home Premium
    AMD Athlon II P340 2.20 Ghz Dual Core
    4 GB RAM
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series (512mb memory)

With everthing turned down to a minimum, I can play this with no lag at all, though I haven't had a chance to try WvWvW yet.

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, I started with one of those little nerds too and I've just stopped paying attention to what they said as most of it was gibberish. I still get the gist of the storyline, but the details mean nothing to me. :D

I haven't played as an Asura yet, but from all I know of them, I think that's the point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

My only complaint so far, is that its a massive pain in the ass trying to party with people ive been in a few party s now and every time we never meet up :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »

You need to buy a skill book from your trainer at lvl11. After that, you can start putting points into your traits, and then select your major traits.

So much I don't know about this game yet

where do you find this trainer bloke?

So much I don't know about this game yet

where do you find this trainer bloke?

Lots of places, but definitely in the Main Citys. Look for a book icon on the map, I think it's different colors depending on profession.

Also, in each of the starter areas. For Asura, to the left of where you spawned on character creation. For Humans, down the hill in the starter area, just to the left of the bridge.

*Thief trainer, but all trainers are nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Anyone playing a thief here give some insight into the class and are they enjoying it? I am thinking about re-rolling as I'm not feeling Ranger at the moment.

I prefer the melee combat in the game and find myself constantly using the Greatsword or sword / warhorn combo which is kind of missing the point of playing a Ranger.

I do like the sword combo as there's alot of jumping in and out of combat and rolling to the side of the target which I think the thief has even more of, am I right in saying that? Also what's a thiefs damage output like? The ranger feels very under-powered compared to a warrior friend I'm grouping with!

The Thief is great fun. Fantastic mobility, and very different styles of play for melee/ranged. Currently running Dual Pistols/Shortbow, and i love dodging around enemies. Makes me a pain in the ass to kill in WvW as well, as i have a ton of escape abilities. If you like melee, you'll probably go Dual Dagger or Sword/Pistol. S/P has some fantastic damage. Get used to dodging though, as you'll use it constantly. Not sure how it measures up damage wise compared to other classes, but i've never had any issues killing things...especially if you get good at aoe and dodges.

Also, theres a trait (tier 3) that give you 25% movement speed...constantly. It's fantastic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Big Knox wrote: »
    Anyone playing a thief here give some insight into the class and are they enjoying it? I am thinking about re-rolling as I'm not feeling Ranger at the moment.

I prefer the melee combat in the game and find myself constantly using the Greatsword or sword / warhorn combo which is kind of missing the point of playing a Ranger.

I do like the sword combo as there's alot of jumping in and out of combat and rolling to the side of the target which I think the thief has even more of, am I right in saying that? Also what's a thiefs damage output like? The ranger feels very under-powered compared to a warrior friend I'm grouping with!

Try the warrior, can use 19 weapons and all in different combos :eek:
    One minute your bashing people and blocking damage with your shield,the next your charging with a 2 hander greatsword or hammer,then you can switch to your rifle for ranged single target DPS and even switch do your bow for ranged aoe.

Im torn between the warrior and guardian atm, cant decide which to lvl first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I picked wrong. Human engineer, what was i thinking? I'm there with my rifle doing the most insignificant damage and some other guy swoops in and kills the 5 that surround me.. and then he just walks off why I lie dead on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

anyone know where to get a boxed copy tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭ShaneScouse

miralize wrote: »
    I picked wrong. Human engineer, what was i thinking? I'm there with my rifle doing the most insignificant damage and some other guy swoops in and kills the 5 that surround me.. and then he just walks off why I lie dead on the floor.

I liked engiee in betas and had it in my mind to be main, but after getting it to 10ish and already getting an ele up beforehand, nope. Didnt do anything for me, lack of fun skills bar the packs you get later and just felt very weak overall.

Ele is main now, with grdn as main alt. But very fun, loving all the variety ele has, gota be on the ball aswell.

• Advertisement

I liked engiee in betas and had it in my mind to be main, but after getting it to 10ish and already getting an ele up beforehand, nope. Didnt do anything for me, lack of fun skills bar the packs you get later and just felt very weak overall.

Ele is main now, with grdn as main alt. But very fun, loving all the variety ele has, gota be on the ball aswell.

I havent a clue as to what you're saying, but.. okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭reaper12

I picked a human engineer and currently level 14. I think the trick to using the engineer properely is turrets. There is a health regen turret, a flame turret and an ordinary turret available through skills. Mobs tend to attack the turrets first, leaving you time to get a few shots in.

And you have to use your skill toolbar, alot!! Like when you lay down a turret, there is a secondary option as well. Or if you pick the grenade skill, you can throw a group of nades at mobs by pressing F3 (for me)

Like you I was frustrated for a while with it, but once I started using my skills correctly I began to survive longer in battles. Like today for instance me and about 10 other players were fighting a badass Champion Boar. I was the only player not to die, and at one stage I was the only guy alive. Managed to drop a few turrets then revive a few people while the boar attacked my turrets. It was an awesome fight :)

I'm called Meladan in game. I'm on Gunnar's hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

caspa307 wrote: »
    anyone know where to get a boxed copy tonight?

I'm not sure if anywhere is doing a Midnight release and You'd probably have to have it pre-ordered to get at midnight anyway.

I'd say your best bet would be to go in tomorrow morning and pick up a copy.

Thats what I'm doing :p

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anywhere is doing a Midnight release and You'd probably have to have it pre-ordered to get at midnight anyway.

I'd say your best bet would be to go in tomorrow morning and pick up a copy.

Thats what I'm doing :p

oh i know that, i have it ordered in hmv for 47.99 but id kill to play tonight :D

caspa307 wrote: »
    oh i know that, i have it ordered in hmv for 47.99 but id kill to play tonight :D

By the time you get back, install the client and download the patches (which would be incredibly slow due to the rest of the people trying to do the exact same thing), my guess is you may have wanted to reconsider! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just a quick question before I buy the Physical copy tomorrow.

If i get the Physical copy how much downloading would i have to do ?
    Even just a estimate would be good....

By the time you get back, install the client and download the patches (which would be incredibly slow due to the rest of the people trying to do the exact same thing), my guess is you may have wanted to reconsider! :P

already have the client and most patches downloaded just need to register a copy, as for the rest of the patches, im hoping 100mb will help speed them up but i doubt it lol

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What server are you's on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What server are you's on?

gunners hold for most of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 p1000

reaper12 wrote: »
    Like you I was frustrated for a while with it, but once I started using my skills correctly I began to survive longer in battles. Like today for instance me and about 10 other players were fighting a badass Champion Boar. I was the only player not to die, and at one stage I was the only guy alive. Managed to drop a few turrets then revive a few people while the boar attacked my turrets. It was an awesome fight :)

I'm called Meladan in game. I'm on Gunnar's hold.

Ha! I think you revived me! That Boar was kicking everyone's ass and i was well under-leveled, he downed me 3 times. If that was you, thanks :D. That's another nice thing about the community, people are very willing to revive people as stupid as me!

I'm Dekarta in game, think it's great so far but i haven't had enough time to play it this weekend, hopefully tomorrow evening.

Advertisement