Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

antivirus detected an app and i cant uninstall it

Options
  • 18-08-2013 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

It's called brick breaker and its identified as a serious threat. I've no idea how it got there but it looks like a nasty yoke. Think its a keylogger or something. Has anybody ever heard of it (google just throws up random results) and if so how do I get rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What device is it? Is it rooted? Why can't you uninstall the app? What "anti virus" are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

What device is it? Is it rooted? Why can't you uninstall the app? What "anti virus" are you using?

It's a HTC DesireHD, its not been rooted and I use TrustGO Security Mobile. Whenever I go to delete the app, it just says "Uninstall Not Successful". Under the Manage Applications, there are 4 tabs... Downloaded, All, On SD Card and Running. I can only find this app under the "All" tab. When I select it, the uninstall button is not available. It's not a stock app as I've had the phone straight outta the box over 2 yrs and I've never seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Do you mind me asking how you got it in the first place ?

Do you install cracked apps from the net, or do all your apps come from Google playstore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

Do you mind me asking how you got it in the first place ?

Do you install cracked apps from the net, or do all your apps come from Google playstore?

All my apps come from the playstore. The only possible reason I can think of is that a few wks ago my laptop got the qvo6 virus. I'm completely tech illiterate so all I can think is because my google chrome is linked with my phone, that's how it somehow happened??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

pajopearl wrote: »
    All my apps come from the playstore. The only possible reason I can think of is that a few wks ago my laptop got the qvo6 virus. I'm completely tech illiterate so all I can think is because my google chrome is linked with my phone, that's how it somehow happened??????

That's sounds unlikely.

If you were browsing some dubious web pages/web sites, or an innocent website that got hacked, then they might try downloading an Android application to you,
    as they can tell if you're a mobile user or not.
    I've seen it only last week, a website trying to download "BadOpts.apk", a malicious Android application, to my phone.

If someone were to click on the download to see what it is, they might install it... but if you have your Android phone set to only install applications from trusted sources you'd probably be okay.

A "click happy" user who didn't know what to look for, might run it.

The danger of malware on your phone, is that it could start sending premium rate phone calls/text, and steal a lot of money from you.

I'd recommend copying all your contacts from the phone, then doing a factory reset is possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement