Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=UAP&index=diy&search-type=ss

These are very well priced from £8 and are anti bump, pick, snap and pull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

daymobrew wrote: »
    A guy, Peter, in Riverwood in Carpenterstown installs similar doors. He also has anti-bump locks. He has a demo van where you can see the doors.

http://www.stoptheburglar.ie/

I might upgrade some of my cylinders.

Hi, this site comes up as 'unavailable'.
    I think it's a good idea to buy local as possible.
    Besides, I don't have a clue about cylinders etc.

He is charging €90 to supply and fit a cylinder lock.

I can get a uap lock for €12 and you would fit it in 5 minutes, it's very simple.

Not at all trying to slag off the guy, as prices go thats not bad at all.

When we had to replace our door lock after the house being broken into, the guy sent by the insurance co charged €270 to our claim, it was on a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

nudger wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=UAP&index=diy&search-type=ss

These are very well priced from £8 and are anti bump, pick, snap and pull.

Is there a way to tell if your existing lock is anti bump, pick, snap and pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

A woman put on the allendale residents page yesterday that her house tried to be robbed between the hours of 2-4,when the police came they told her the best thing to do is get motion sensors,cctv and a baseball bat.

Apparently a blue micra and a silver golf are doing the rounds looking for houses(cant remember the reg years I think 00 and 02) to rob.

I also seen on the page that a some fellows expensive bike got robbed,
    he looked everywhere for it,donedeal etc.
    He eventually found it on adverts...he contacted the seller looking to set up a meeting etc but the bike had been sold..but the seller told him he would have another one soon,
    to cut a long story short he set up a meeting between the seller ,police and himself,the theif got nicked and was found with loads of robbed stuff in his house and the man got his bike back but the original buyer from adverts,who bought the stolen bike was down 400 euro

• Advertisement

ronan45 wrote: »
    Is there a way to tell if your existing lock is anti bump, pick, snap and pull?

Do you know the make, usually some letters on the face of the lock.
    If the kite mark is on the lock it is a good indication of a good quality lock.
    If you undo the retaining screw, put in the key and twist it about a 1/4 turn with a bit of a pull on the lock it will come out of the door.
    If there is a grove running vertically about 1 cm from each end of the lock, then it is anti snap.

If you mean would a thief know a good lock, a good thief would probably walk away from a kitemark lock.

ISEO on the face of a lock would be very common and maybe time to invest.

Kev. wrote: »
    A woman put on the allendale residents page yesterday that her house tried to be robbed between the hours of 2-4,when the police came they told her the best thing to do is get motion sensors,cctv and a baseball bat.

Apparently a blue micra and a silver golf are doing the rounds looking for houses(cant remember the reg years I think 00 and 02) to rob.

He eventually found it on adverts...he contacted the seller looking to set up a meeting etc but the bike had been sold..but the seller told him he would have another one soon,
    to cut a long story short he set up a meeting between the seller ,police and himself,the theif got nicked and was found with loads of robbed stuff in his house and the man got his bike back but the original buyer from adverts,who bought the stolen bike was down 400 euro

Couple of pages back Vibe666 mentioned a 00 silver golf involved in taking a cat, could be the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Check out Meath crime prevention Facebook page
    Very good info on there and a few regs up also which might be the same as above.

saranac1 wrote: »
    Check out Meath crime prevention Facebook page
    Very good info on there and a few regs up also which might be the same as above.

You could be onto something there, good find.

Same 2 cars with partial numbers.

Kev,
    Check out the Meath crime prevention facebook page, 3 or 4 posts down, same cars with partial regs.

Did you check the lock make on your door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Kev,
    Check out the Meath crime prevention facebook page, 3 or 4 posts down, same cars with partial regs.

Did you check the lock make on your door?

Hey Nudger,Im not on facebook but Ill get the wife to check it for me,

I had a look at the lock and theres an M with a lock integrated into it.

Just to add after getting the cctv installed I feel 10 times more safer,Its great knowing that if anybody is in my garden or snooping around my car I can see them,It more than likely wont stop them but its a really great system and to be honest if anybody was on my property and was up to something Id be kicking myself if I didnt have it...

Now I have:
    A proper alarm that calls me if it gets set off,I can listen in to the house and even shout into the speaker if needed,
    it works of fobs so I can knock it on from my car.It has a door chime on it,and can be fitted with smoke alarms,carbon monoxide detecters,pet safe etc..

A solid composite front door, Im positive its practically impossible to get through it.

A top CCTV system,came with four 650 LTV cameras,records for 3 months,remote viewing from phone and PC, pricey enough but well worth it

Motion detection lights and new locks on the back door , and also half bolt locks on all the doors downstairs (kitchen sitting and toilet)for quick locking on the way up to bed.

Some people are probably reading this and thinking Im paranoid but after my brother got his front door kicked in at 3 in the morning and his brand new car taken,it really hit home.The money I spent is gone now and forgotten about and Im not taking any chances,Im trying to prevent anything like that happening to me.

Looks like your well sorted, if the plop hits the fan I'm coming to your's.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Now the gougers think you have something worth protecting (other than your family of course)

Leave the front door swinging, itll confuse the sh1t outta them

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gabriele

I am from hartstown and they have tried to break in my house last week, unfortunately we were away on holiday for the entire week, so we just realized yesterday what happened.
    They broke the back window main lock, but they couldn't get in because we had just installed 2 extra security lock in that windows, so even if the main one was off, the 2 little ones prevented them from entering the house.
    We have reported everything to the garda, and I have started to go house by house to allert the neighbours on the street.
    Honestly i am really glad to have installed this extra locks around the house, a very intelligent investment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

We thankfully have a great relationship with our neighbours. We have keys of their house and they have keys of ours, if alarm gos off I call then and they do the same , if it needs to be reset we can both pop in and check all is ok and reset it. When we are away they take in post , change curtains and lights and move the cars around. Nothing's fool proof but it is added peace of mind

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We've only a few houses on our road and we do the same. Gives great peace of mind especially when on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

What are your windows made from, uPVC ETC and can you put up a photo of the extra locks and where to buy them.

horse7 wrote: »
    What are your windows made from, uPVC ETC and can you put up a photo of the extra locks and where to buy them.

I got ERA window locks in woodies, €8-€10.
    Have one on all of the downstairs windows, also have a locking one on the back door and put 2 normal ones on the front door incase a determined burglar managed to pick the cylinder door lock.
    They come with small screws which I replaced with much thicker ones so had to drill pilot holes in the upvc frames.

Page 4, 4th down on the left, ERA 830 snap lock.
    Very handy, will twist 360.

• Advertisement

Thanks, is there any thing i can get to lock a double glaze panel ,so it can not be removed from the outside of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Thanks, is there any thing i can get to lock a double glaze panel ,so it can not be removed from the outside of the house.
    I'm not an expert.....but I think these would do the job http://stoptheburglar.ie/index.php/security-for-windows/nogo-window-lock/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Page 4, 4th down on the left, ERA 830 snap lock.
    Very handy, will twist 360.

Are they easy to retrofit Nudger? How do you fit them onto a door?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Are they easy to retrofit Nudger? How do you fit them onto a door?

Yes very simple, my Front door like most open's inward so with your door closed put the snap lock on the frame beside the door.
    I left about 3-4mm gap away from the door, move the 360 moving arm out of the way to reveal the 2 holes that the screws go through, mark holes with a pen.
    I used bigger screws than were provided, measuring that they would not go out the other side of the frame and drilled 2 pilot holes.
    They are white as is my door you wouldn't notice them, one knee high, one shoulder high, they go on at bedtime or the kids put them on if we go out during the day.
    The back door opens out so the lock was fitted to the door instead.

The front ones are not key operated just twist on or off.

OK cheers, sounds good. probably a stupid question but if you are leaving the house then I assume you can only lock one of the front or back door with them, right? I mean, there's no way to lock them behind you.

If you are handy yourself, you could pop the beads off, take out the glass, get a tube of clear silicon and carefully coat the inside of the frame, pop the glass back in, on with the beads and now the glass is glued in.

Arciphel wrote: »
    OK cheers, sounds good. probably a stupid question but if you are leaving the house then I assume you can only lock one of the front or back door with them, right? I mean, there's no way to lock them behind you.

Right, it's more peace of mind at night time.
    The way these knobs are getting their hands on bump keys and picks off the internet for a few quid, you have to go old school.

These little locks give me an extra minute to jump out of bed, get shoes and a bar then they have done their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

brightkane wrote: »
    We thankfully have a great relationship with our neighbours. We have keys of their house and they have keys of ours, if alarm gos off I call then and they do the same , if it needs to be reset we can both pop in and check all is ok and reset it. When we are away they take in post , change curtains and lights and move the cars around. Nothing's fool proof but it is added peace of mind

Old neighbourhood had similiar realtionships, except they all had whistles, so whenever anyone blew the whistle it meant something was amiss, imagine a scrote hearing you blowing the whistle and then the sound of several other whistles approaching the area !!

If your having trouble or anti-social type behaviour in your area it's worth while investing in a few whistles, there's safety in numbers.

Just reading on independent.ie about a car being stolen in Mulhuddart with a seven month old baby inside when I came across this nugget - "He left the car running with his son asleep in the back while he was gone for a few minutes."

Why would anyone do this?

Link to the story - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-hunt-thieves-who-stole-car-with-sleeping-baby-inside-3277589.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

That's the new council estate beside Wellview and Parslickstown. Very silly for leaving the car running with the baby in the back but obviously that doesn't help now. I'm sure they've learned from their mistake.

Is it possible the person was a delivery driver for a take away? I notice they usually leave their cars running, although if they deliver here I do tell them to turn it off and lock the doors because it's happened up here before.

Advertisement