Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire's impressive robustness

• 05-09-2010 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I dropped my Desire down a flight of stairs today and as the cover came flying off i was sure i'd be shelling out for a repair.
    Picked it up expecting the worst, but there is barely a scratch on it (and touch wood, it's working perfectly).
    I was frankly astounded by my baby's resilience.

Anyone else have similar stories.
    Another great feature of a great phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

mkennedy wrote: »
    I dropped my Desire down a flight of stairs today and as the cover came flying off i was sure i'd be shelling out for a repair.
    Picked it up expecting the worst, but there is barely a scratch on it (and touch wood, it's working perfectly).
    I was frankly astounded by my baby's resilience.

Anyone else have similar stories.
    Another great feature of a great phone.

Mine fell off my pushbike 3 times at 30kph, cover came off, battery fell out, but not a scratch on her and still works perfectly..........I started to use a rubber band to secure my Desire shortly after this ride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

The fact that the back case invariably tends to pop off and the battery goes flying during a fall would suggest they're absorbing a good portion of the shock.

Same has happened to me 2-3 times... I'm just glad it didn't land screen down on a rock or something. Ordering me a case now actually, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,541 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I do believe any device that has the rear pop off cover and removalble battery benefits as when these items pop out / off they dissipate a huge amount of the force which would otherwise be obsorbed internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dt_grudge

My girlfriend drops her desire every other day and the thing is holding up like a trooper. Mine fell out of my pocket a few days ago and landed on the footpath - the screen got mangled and microphone got busted aswell. I just now had to fork out 150 euro to vodafone to repair it.

It has never so much as dropped an inch onto a sofa before so it was being treated really well. Of course the one time I drop it, boom!! I guess im just extremely unlucky :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

my phone got a few good bangs ;) got a chip on the cover but its still grand :) its surprising how good htc makes their phoens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i dropped mine coming out of the local, hadn't even owned it 6 hours :eek:...fell outta the jacket pocket onto concrete...never a bother with it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

My gf keeps dropping it on the floor of my room. So far, no problems. Tough little thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

aint got nothing on the g1 but then again it does everything else better...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mine's been dropped a few times onto the (wooden) floor but no adverse effects physically or otherwise. I have a fairly tough silicone cover on it though which absorbs a lot of it I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Canluum wrote: »
    The fact that the back case invariably tends to pop off and the battery goes flying during a fall would suggest they're absorbing a good portion of the shock.
    I was thinking the same. Dropped mine for the first time the other day, onto a marble fireplace, and my heart sank. Back popped off, battery flew out.... not a mark on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bugzy

Same battery goes off but not a mark :) Though my metal back cover has a few slight dents :)

I've dropped it numerous times including twice where battery and back cover went flying in different directions with no ill effects so far touch wood. A few scratches here or there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mcasey

I never dropped mine but the clear lens on the back cover cracked somehow. Cant find a replacement anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Canluum wrote: »
    Ordering me a case now actually, any recommendations?

I am looking at one of these gel cases
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hybrid-XYLO-GEL-DESIRE-Mobile-Phone/dp/B003MQ8RM2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1284497180&sr=8-3

Dropped mine getting out of the car on Sunday and its got a bit of a dent in the metal type surround of the screen. Still works a treat and looks like it could take a good few knocks but I want to protect 'my precious':D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

they do seem more robust than i expected.i have dropped mine a few now and its grand.another thing the screen seems to be holding up very well i have mine in my trouser pocket all day without a silicone cover or screen protecter and there aint a scratch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Dropped mine twice (!) in the space of a few minutes while on holiday... dropped from a seat onto the tiles out on the balcony... thought the phone was going to get it's first serious scars or be wrecked - but screen and phone still totally perfect condition, except for a tiny little dent at the top left shoulder, half on the metal, half on the rubber.

Advertisement