Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next Total War Game May Be Shogun 2?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Did you buy it on disk or as a download?

Got it on disk but when I tried to start up the installation from the disk I kept getting an error- No Language Configured so i had to download it of the steam website

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

From earlier in the thread.....
    Originally Posted by Outkast_IRE View Post
    Actually theres a bug linked to people who downloaded demo where it doesnt install from disk but starts to download the entire package, their is a workaround on the steam forum for the game just in case anybody is having the same issue.
    Seems loads of people are having this issue.
    its not happening to everyone , check the steam forum there tonnes of posts , a workaround was sorted. where basically after it tried downloading the whole game for you you needed to pause it, delete all local content , take the disc out ,put disc back in again and it works then for nearly everyone
    Yesterday 23:10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I bought the limited edition from Play.com (not collectors, meh!).

Does anyone know if you get the related TF2 items if you add the retail version to Steam or is that just for Steam preorders? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What item are you talking about now?

this game is hard,Im loving it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

im playing it at normal difficulty and picked the shimazu clan to start with so straight away theres more powerful neighbours , what i noticed was not to be too agressive with troop movement on the campaign map early on , better to leave them try to take your castle and wipe them out , then chase them down immediately and you use usually catch a daimyo or heir sometimes both and you can move for their castle and it usually has minimal troops.

Those dam "hojo" on the otherside of the map are after taking 15 provinces the aggresive feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Here is my specs. Will this run this game?

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
    AMD Phenom (tm) 8850b Triple Core processor (3 CPUs), ~ 2.5GHz

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Here is my specs. Will this run this game?

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
    AMD Phenom (tm) 8850b Triple Core processor (3 CPUs), ~ 2.5GHz
    i would say so , best bet is to download the demo and see as they wont give a refund on this game as its linked to a steam account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Yeah, it works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Those dam "hojo" on the otherside of the map are after taking 15 provinces the aggresive feckers.

That's cause the Hojo are feckin awesome! :p

Anyone else finding the AI isnt that interested in the trade ships being sent to the trade ports with foreign powers .
    I have taken all but one of them for myself , only one of which i took off an enemy ? and once they lose one they dont mount any decent attempt to take it back .

Also anyone found this mysterious black ship , i got the event message and had ships in the sea to the west but no sign ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Anyone else finding the AI isnt that interested in the trade ships being sent to the trade ports with foreign powers .
    I have taken all but one of them for myself , only one of which i took off an enemy ? and once they lose one they dont mount any decent attempt to take it back .

Also anyone found this mysterious black ship , i got the event message and had ships in the sea to the west but no sign ?

I found the same – take a trade port and I don't need to defend from my enemies – just a few pirate raids.

For the Black Ship, I read that you should keep a look for the foreign powers turn – it should zoom briefly to the location when it's moves the ship.

The best starting advice I can think of is to make friends with a strong neighbor. Best way to increase alliance is to open negotiations and offer gold for a bride to marry into clan – adds 100 points towards there opinion of you (vs about +10 for same religion or trading partners etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Playing as the Shimazu, first I wiped out the purple crowd, Ito I think is their name

Then slowly and steadily took over that island, once I had that the resources were pumping in. I like my treasury nice and fat

Built up three good armies and worked my way down, wiping out the Mori.
    Eventually took Kyoto and after one year became Shogun. :cool:
    I was expecting lots of respect and cowering Warlords but nothing changed.
    Kyoto is so easy to defend though, get 8-9 archer groups and the place is a deathtrap, would regulary kill over 1,000 men and lose less the 150.

Eventually the Takeda thought outside the box and sent an invasion force back to the Island where I started. Lost most of the terrority and wiped out my finances.
    Was a slow steady decline from there and I never recovered :(

What I learned, keep some troops at home to protect it, not have everyone at the front :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

so tempted to buy this game but hardly have the time to play the ones I already have :(

buy now and get a game which by their record tend to be buggy at first or wait a few months...game shops just 5 mins walk...must resist...lol

just after coming to the realm divide, tbh it seems like its done just to make it harder it adds nothing to the game really imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

just after coming to the realm divide, tbh it seems like its done just to make it harder it adds nothing to the game really imo

What is that?

When should you upgrade to a fortress?

upgrade them as soon as you can afford to prioritize ones that are likely to be attacked . they help increase the tax base which will help you stay afloat if your trade routes etc get cut off .

Realm divide is a point in the game where if you get powerful enough basically the shogun in kyoto turns on you and everybody else turns on you at the same time except for any really loyal longstanding allys . so bascally all your trade agreements are gone etc.

upgrade them as soon as you can afford to prioritize ones that are likely to be attacked . they help increase the tax base which will help you stay afloat if your trade routes etc get cut off .

Realm divide is a point in the game where if you get powerful enough basically the shogun in kyoto turns on you and everybody else turns on you at the same time except for any really loyal longstanding allys . so bascally all your trade agreements are gone etc.

wow thats something to look forward to then :pac:

wow thats something to look forward to then :pac:
    its to do with that clan fame bar that gets higher as you take more territory, once its near the peak dont take anymore , until you are well and truely set up for all out war.
    And do your best to cement some strong alliances, marry family members into the strong ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

These ones!
    http://www.teamfortress.com/shogunpack/

Wohoo just caught the Black Ship :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I bought this game today

It keeps crashing my laptop when i try to start the game. It crashes it to a blue screen
    crazy that a brand new game will not work after shelling out money for it

Knew I should have bought Football Manager 2011

Laptop specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

SegmentNext are usually a pretty good rescource for this kind of thing. They're compiling a list of what seem to be inherent bugs as well as common hardware and software issues to give to the Devs. From their research so far...
    7# Blue Screen at Start Up
    Normally Blue Screen of Death is mostly caused by a software issue. Some corrupted driver installation or minimum memory required to play the game exceeds your current physical memory. Make sure you meet the minimum requirements, and have good working drivers installed.

Edit:

And after a little more research, seems their are a good few people on the totalwar.com forums that have had the BSOD issue and dun dun du dunnnnn, they fixed it by updating their drivers.

It's a brand new game. It's more than likely going to be harnessing the latest drivers from pretty much every part of the rig.

Anyway, if updating the drivers doesn't work, head over to tw.com and start a thread in the compatibility section of the tech forums. Their tech staffers are doing individual research on the issue on a case by case basis and they might be able to help further.

I don't even have the game yet. :( I'm experiencing it vicariously. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

got it working!!! updated the BIOS (never had to do that before) from the Acer website

and now it works fine. tutorial mastered.

And how dare you insult my laptop asking for specs!!!!!

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    got it working!!! updated the BIOS (never had to do that before) from the Acer website

and now it works fine. tutorial mastered.

And how dare you insult my laptop asking for specs!!!!!

How the hell is that insulting?

The kanazawa clan are now my bitch :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Finally got the game working and using the Hattori clan. 1 Army of mine, a ninja and a monk are holding off 2 clans invading me from the east and North although my money is running out and I'm not replenishing my losses quick enough to hold off the onslaught. The game is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Ye certainly is much tougher. I have just taken the western 3rd of the map on my 9th attempt on normal. I am doing my best to hold on but am beginning to lose ground.
    I had to get rid of the black ship because of the 1020 upkeep each turn

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

I hate reading this thread because I haven't got it yet and I feel like I'm reading through spoilers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nothing more foolish then building a large and top rated army and then transporting them in just one ship

Ship gets intercepted and the army I spent years building up goes to a watery grave without even a blade drawn in anger

And I've done it more then once :o:o:o

Advertisement