Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ATC recruitment with IAA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

EI573 wrote: »
    I'm certainly not here to get into an argument (though it seems some are..), so I'll only say one thing to Jim

I'm not lookin to get into an arguement, its called havin a bloody opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Anyone getting nervous yet?
    Dunno how I can survive till 10th, suspense is killing me :(

I don't think I did that well in the test, but there's always hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

OJTI wrote: »
    Who knows, are there any vacancies at IAA for qualified controllers with valid licences? I'm interested in GND,TWR or APP positions. Thanks :)

Hi,

There is a programme of direct entry recruitment currently ongoing, though how much impact current economic conditions will have on that is another matter. I know the requirement in Dublin is for Area-rated controllers, but your TWR rating would be of huge help to us right now, and with an estimated 40 extra TWR controllers required if the parallel runway and new tower projects go ahead would definitely be needed in the future.

What sort of experience have you got? Dublin work 500+ movements a day, mostly IFR but also VFR (on TWR and APP/ACC frequencies)

No harm in contacting HR vis the company website. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OJTI

To irishatco: I work as a senior ATCO in international airport. My professional operational experience the ATCO more than 6 years. I have all ATC ratings available in my country: ACC,ACC/R,APP,APP/R,TWR. Also I have instructor and supervisor endorsements, 5-th level of ICAO English and valid ATC license issued according to ICAO standarts. We don't have so much traffic as Dublin airport, it's just about 60-70 IFR/VFR movements a day(TWR). Our upper airspace covers big area with 3 international and some domestic airports so traffic there, of course, more intensive. Thanks for information :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

It's a competition, yes, but that's no reason to run around making sure there's as little information as possible on the internet about it, as you are doing. It's pathetic and childish. Anybody who is genuinely interested will do their own research and this will come out in interviews, so if somebody posts some info up the genuinely interested people will benefit. Somebody isn't going to get the job based on what they read here. Thanks for everyone who has posted information here it helps frame things in their proper contexts.

As for hiring people who have a lot of experience in similar fields, this isn't the point. Organisations want to train you to their specifications generally, they don't want sarky veterans who think they know everything already. This is a recipe for disaster. They want intelligent, fresh candidates with enthusiasm for the job and a career and who most importantly are eager to learn. Sure, your experience will count but it won't guarantee you a place above over candidates, particularly if you go in to the process with the attitude of entitlement to the job just because you've experience in something similar. My IT experience would count too I would hope, if I get to the interview stage.

The Gardai don't direct recruit from the PSNI and vice versa. For obvious reasons.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow and for the interview stage.
    Harian wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll sound like a right dick by saying this, but maybe I can speak up on behalf of one or two others here.

I feel I need to remind everyone that this IS a competition. There are very few positions for a lot of applicants.

I really don't feel that it's fair to those of us who make the effort to conduct our own research into this position to have others asking their friend's dad, or whatever, about the job, then have them post all of the info online for everyone to see, including those who can't be bothered to spend a few minutes researching the position themselves. I know some of you are genuinely interested in learning more, but have a little patience; if you make it to the next stage (interviews), all of the roster info will be clearly explained to you. If you don't make it to the next stage, it won't matter either way.

I don't mean to be an as$hole but it's a little disheartening, I guess, after some of us have made the effort to carefully investigate the position before applying. It seems a little lazy to get someone else to do the research and post it online. Also, you've got to remember that a huge amount of people are reading this thread, not just the few who are regularly posting.

I guess I see this as the same as talking about the aptitude tests while they're ongoing. It's a no-no, and thankfully people stuck to that rule here (at least in the public forum). But just the same, people shouldn't share other types of info that could be of importance in later stages of recruitment.

We're not working together as a team yet guys, we're all in direct competition!

What I will say is, this job isn't a doddle. I think it's open knowledge to tell you: expect lots of unsociable hours, much night (midnight/4am onwards) and weekend work, you will be working Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and many other holidays for many years to come.

Don't think that you will get to spend these days at home with your family after working in the position for a year or two.

As I think someone else already mentioned, there are guys there 20 and 30 years who still don't get the benefit of having Christmas Day at home, though this will maybe change when some new people start out at the bottom of the ladder.

This is not the job that many people seem to think it is, and it's sad that these people may have scored well in the aptitude test, and will go on to gain entry to the training, then discover 1 or 2 years from now that they loathe the role and quit. Don't expect another hiring process any time soon!

Let's not give people like that the chance to take up a position that a few of us really want.

I hope I've supplied the general info people were wondering, without anyone needing to be more specific.

And again, my apologies, but I really felt the need to say that after watching this thread for weeks. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 foxtrot1983

hows it going everyone i got an interview today for the 26th anyone else get one?????:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Pigdog

Yup, I got an interview too. 2nd March though. That's ages away!! :)

I wonder how many are actually going to get called for an interview? Is it really likely they'll be interviewing 250 people? I've no idea about how recruitment/HR normally works. Anybody got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

250 is likely enough :) they seem to have the resources... ;)

Where did the 250 figure come from?

I have an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

hows it going everyone i got an interview today for the 26th anyone else get one?????:)
    Pigdog wrote: »
    Yup, I got an interview too. 2nd March though.
    Jesus1222 wrote: »
    I have an interview for this day 2 weeks.

When did ye guys do your exams? Just as a matter of interest??

• Advertisement

aero2009 wrote: »
    There is 12 positions for the Radio Officer job with over 2000 applications.. The last ATC competition had c.1800 applications for 24 positions. So if your figures are correct with 250 called for first interview I would predict half will be called for the Radio Officer positions c.150.
    I would suspect that there will be a very small number called for first interview as the time period between the tests and the actual start date for interview is only 2 weeks (beginning on the 16th February.
    Jesus is there anything easy!!!

Sorry, I misquoted the 250 figure from this guy in post #66. He actually said it'd be more like 150-ish!! It may be a guess, but so far it's the only one we've had. Sooooo, by the rules of default, it becomes the the best guess. ;)

I did my exams on the friday.

I see what you're thinking; are they allocating interview positions to people in the order they sat their tests?

I hope so, because I seem to have one of the later dates, and I'd rather think they're doing it this way instead of maybe having me last because I'm on the bottom of the pile!! :(

I hope so, because I seem to have one of the later dates, and I'd rather think they're doing it this way instead of maybe having me last because I'm on the bottom of the pile!! :(

I hope not lol, I did mine on the Friday as well but haven't heard anything from them...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

got nothing yet :( They sending them by email or letter

jd83 wrote: »
    got nothing yet :( They sending them by email or letter

They're e-mailing everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jess_cork

I did my tests on the Saturday and got an e-mail this evening for an interview on the 26th. Also got a phone call from human resources this evening but I missed it so have to call back in the morning.

Oooh, a phone call!! I didn't get a phone call! You must be special, so.

(actually, I've just been thinking... if the people in HR are looking at this site, they could very easily identify some of us! I'll be keeping the details to myself from now on. But now I'm not sure if I'm being cautious or paranoid!!)

To Jesus 1222: Ha! Man, you think working as ATCO outside the Ireland is SOMETHING SIMILAR? Or obtaining this number of endorsements just a LUCK? I'm an ATCO and not a sarky veteran in my 28 as you said. I worked hard to get all I have and ready to continue with enthusiasm not less than yours. You said just that you want to hear, but reality is differ. Good luck to everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jess_cork

Oooh, a phone call!! I didn't get a phone call! You must be special, so.

(actually, I've just been thinking... if the people in HR are looking at this site, they could very easily identify some of us! I'll be keeping the details to myself from now on. But now I'm not sure if I'm being cautious or paranoid!!)

That's true and it crossed my mind but I think you're being a little paranoid! The phone call was just about some missing details anyway so damn it I'm not special after all! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 foxtrot1983

did my test on the monday and got the interview for the 26th i think that studying for the aptitude test helped because it made me faster and the main problem i would think is that people may not have finished each section in time, i guessed the last 4 on the last exam for instance.

good luck to everyone who gets an interview whether it be 250 or 150 its a good achievement to get passed the test, i failed aptitude tests before so studying helped me understand how they work more this time around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

not got an email yet so can only assume its not good news. Has anyone received a rejection mail? I think i majorly messed up on the non numerical so wouldnt really be that surprised.

Just want to be put out of my misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JonnyK

I've heard nothing either,

I'd imagine it's bad news then, was thinking I had a decent chance but can't see any good news now considering the amount of people that have heard back about interviews - head melter.:(

Hey all,

Just phoned them and everyone will be informed by email this evening - they're working late to get all results out.

Still a tiny bit of hope for those who haven't heard anything yet but I've a feeling they notified all those who got through first then onto those who didn't after.

There's no point calling them as they won't give results over the phone and they're mentally busy.

OJTI wrote: »
    To Jesus 1222: Ha! Man, you think working as ATCO outside the Ireland is SOMETHING SIMILAR? Or obtaining this number of endorsements just a LUCK? I'm an ATCO and not a sarky veteran in my 28 as you said. I worked hard to get all I have and ready to continue with enthusiasm not less than yours. You said just that you want to hear, but reality is differ. Good luck to everyone! :)

This isn't an air traffic controller position. You need to read the job description. This position, I'd imagine, is fairly unique in and of itself given the history behind it. ATCO is not and I'm sure if you worked elsewhere as an ATCO you could transfer.

Congratulations to anybody who got an interview. For anybody who didn't get it, don't be downhearted, I did the Garda one last time out and messed up badly. Just practice a few similar tests before the next one comes up and you'll get to the next stage no problem.

Yes, we are talking about different positions. I'm not applying for Aeronautical Radio Officer, I'm looking for only ATC positions in the Ireland. If somebody knows about recruitment programme for qualified ATCOs, it's stages, requiments and conditions please inform. Thanks

Alright lads,

Bad news for me, got notification stating no joy

Best of luck to all who got through. Back to the drawing board again.

Aw, that's harsh man. Sorry.

No luck for me either...:(

Good luck to everyone who got through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

fail :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

Hard luck to all who didnt get through also. I do feel the questions went my way and i guessed about 4 in total and got all tests finished. I got an interview on the 26th also.. if we knew how many dates the interviews are on we know how many got through. Best of luck to all who got through. Ps I did my test on the thurs.

Advertisement