Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATC recruitment with IAA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Hi all,

I applied for Aeronautical Radio Officer a while ago and recieved this today, did anybody else get one?

Reference #: xxxxxxx
    Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

I refer to your application for the position of Aeronautical Radio Officer in the Irish Aviation Authority.

I am pleased to invite you to an Aptitude Test as follows:

Monday 26/01/09 @ 10 am

The Tests consist of Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning. Total time involved 2 hours (approximately).

The Test will take place in Radisson SAS Hotel, Ennis Road, Limerick (for directions please contact the Hotel on 061 456200). Details will be available in the Reception area directing candidates to the Registration Area.

Please ensure you bring the following documentation to the Aptitude Test:
    Copy of this email
    Valid Passport
    1 Recent Passport Size Colour Photograph - which will be retained by the Authority

Please report for Registration on time as we will not be able to facilitate late arrivals.

The Dress Code for this Test is smart casual.
    No travel or incidental expenses will be paid to any applicant.

Human Resources Division
    14 January 2009

So, fingers crossed then. Gotta start sharpening my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

yh i got the same one as you. Pity they dont give a few sample questions for the test. Or at least some info on like how many question in how long a time. Ah well at least ill get visit limerick :)

jd83 wrote: »
    yh i got the same one as you. Pity they dont give a few sample questions for the test. Or at least some info on like how many question in how long a time. Ah well at least ill get visit limerick :)

Yeah, I presume most of these aptitude tests are pretty standard if you've ever done one before.

It would also be nice to know how many people have been shortlisted for the test!

Pity the test isn't on later in the day as it will be a hassle to head down the night before and find somewhere to stay down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Anybody who meets the educational requirements is called for the test, no secret!:)

Then they pick say the top hundred or whatever from that for interview

darragh-k wrote: »
    Anybody who meets the educational requirements is called for the test, no secret!:)

Then they pick say the top hundred or whatever from that for interview

yep, well of course that makes sense. But I thought they might have the tests held spaced out over different dates or something. Just wanted to know if anybody else got one today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Is there any particular brand of test to practice with?

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    yep, well of course that makes sense. But I thought they might have the tests held spaced out over different dates or something. Just wanted to know if anybody else got one today.

Ah right, well the last stedent controller programme tests were spread out over different date, I dont know how many applied for this, not as much as was for the atc job anyway I would guess as this isn't so much controlling the planes. It is a communications role so it's not as popular but they would need more thasn one date anyway to allow for people not being able to make it, although you need a damn good reason for them to allocate you a new date I hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JonnyK

Hey all,

I got the same confirmation though mine is on Thursday 29th at 12.30. Sounds like there's a huge amount of applicants if you broadly work out tests at 10 and 12.30 each day between Monday and Friday that week!

I've only ever done one aptitude test so trying to look over some examples.

Anyway, best of luck everyone (though hopefully not at my expense!):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 aero2009

Hi

I contacted IAA and they confirmed that there is over 2000 applications?
    any advice on apptitute test would be greatly appreciated.

2000???

Is that true? Jesus, I know there's a recession but I can't believe 2000 people want to be radio officers all the same!

Might hop on a plane out of this country - I've a Master's Degree but I could end up working full-time in Supervalu or Spar shortly. That's unless I get past the other 1999 applicants and two interviews - no problem!!

This country is a joke.:mad:

• Advertisement

Incredible amount.. thats more than the applications for the last ATC competition. Are you working already?

Whats your masters in?

Got Masters in 2005 in archaeology. Was working no-stop in research until just before Christmas and like many people, work dried up after that.

Saw the advert for the ARO on Publicjobs.ie and took it from there. Sounds like a challenging position. I'd imagine there's going to be a massively diverse range of applicants attending the aptitudes. I'm not a big fan of them myself and it's a pity no specific examples are around.

Did you try for the ATC position before? I'd imagine the aptitude tests for that would be pretty similar.

Best of luck with the test - think we may need it!

challenging times alright... looks like a good career.

very diverse I would imagine also.

never applied for ATC. dont know if it is possible to prepare for an aptitude test - maybe a good nights sleep the night before!!

tough break regarding job situation.
    Best of luck with the tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

aero2009 wrote: »

never applied for ATC. dont know if it is possible to prepare for an aptitude test - maybe a good nights sleep the night before!

Of course there are ways to practice!:) A quick google search produced this http://www.practicetests.co.uk/ Might be something useful on there ;) I know our own Career Guidance counsellor has a heap of them for use in secondary schools so they are about the place. Verbal Reasoning, Numerical Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning will be tested, (quoted from above) so google tests for them also.

I have looked a number of web sites but there are different variations on each test, eg Verbal Reasoning could include synonyms, antonyms, passage comprehension, word concepts, word swap etc etc.

Am surprised IAA has issue guidelines on what type of questions are we to expect, how many and how long we have to answer same.

aero2009 wrote: »
    Hi

I contacted IAA and they confirmed that there is over 2000 applications?
    any advice on apptitute test would be greatly appreciated.

2000 isnt an awful lot after you weed out the people who wont turn up for test, the people who fail the test, the people who dont meet the academic requirements, the people who thought Ballygirreen was next to dublin airport.

Ha ha, you mean it's not beside Dublin airport!!

There's plenty of tests on the web. As said already, there's so many variations for each section it's difficult to know what will come up - it's really a matter of practising bits of everything and obviously some people will be a lot stronger at certain sections than others.

I did one for the civil service a few years ago and scored well on verbal and non-verbal but just missd out on the numerical side. I think there's a general requirement whereby you have to score at least a certain amount on each section or you won't go through i.e. if there's 30 questions on each section you may have to get at least 15 correct in each and it won't matter if you get 30 out of 30 in two and 14 in the other - it's still an overall fail. That's the way it works for the civil service anyway.

I know it sounds funny but a lot people see an ad dont read it and apply.
    Yh i did a civil service exam recently and scored well so hopefully its the same type of test. Does anyone know what the medical and security check consist off. Is it just a check if you have a criminal record and a few references or do they do that 10 year history check were they check all your employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

Not looking forward to it. Can anyone confirm that , if succesful and up on completion of 12 months initial training, that there will be positions in Dublin or are they all Shannon way. I have heard conflicting reports?

Seems a bit late to ask I know but any feedback would be appreciated

Location is the Aeronautical Communications Division at Ballygirreen, Clare.
    Performing operational duties with regard to Aeronautical Mobile, Fixed and Broadcast Communications Services. There is no jobs anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

Best of luck to everyone. 2000 seems like a lot but turning up and having a good attitude is a great start I think, as somebody else said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

I applied for the Shanwick position and have my apptitude test on the 30th Jan, can anyone offer any advise on how best to prepare for it, and can anyone give examples of the type of questions they asked in the ATC apptitude tests in 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭iceax

got the same as yours but for WED 28 at 12.30 just to let you know
    regards iceax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

Jim236 wrote: »
    can anyone give examples of the type of questions they asked in the ATC apptitude tests in 2007?

i think http://www.practicetests.co.uk/ as mentioned earlier is quite a good place to start ;)

i think http://www.practicetests.co.uk/ as mentioned earlier is quite a good place to start wink.gif

Yes and (probably quite obvious) remember to read up on the IAA website itself. It has alot of info regarding how the aviation sector operates in this country so read up on the ATC part especially. It is amazing how many people would go into an interview without this kind of research done!! http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=153&n=248 there is a wealth of information there so browse through it:)

DubDubDub

Can you let us know what exactly the test is comprised of once you have it done? As you can see here there is a LOT of confusion about this aspect of the interview process and if you could give us an idea of what its like, look at all the people that will be grateful!! Including myself, i might go for the ATC job in some years time, either here or abroad!! :)

You don't expect him to give it away that easily do you:p

Nah to be honest this aptitude is little good to anybody looking to apply as a student air traffic controller, tracker.
    This is a communications role so they just want to make sure you have a good grasp of the english language and your mathematic ability is up to scratch. ATCO's need to be able to see conflicts on a screen and think ahead knowing where planes will be and where they are now and need meteorological skills also. This job is just relaying messages, but don't get me wrong, both jobs are very important. For the student controller programme you either have it or you don't for the most part, with this luckily for you all who applied you can do a lot of practice for it. They're two completely different jobs, if you get this you may not pass the student controller programme tests and it is certainly not a back door into it. There are plenty of ways to get into ATC in Ireland also forf those who don't get this and want to be an ATCO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Yes and (probably quite obvious) remember to read up on the IAA website itself. It has alot of info regarding how the aviation sector operates in this country so read up on the ATC part especially. It is amazing how many people would go into an interview without this kind of research done!! http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=153&n=248 there is a wealth of information there so browse through it:)

Cheers but I've to get past the apptitude test before worrying about the interview.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bfinlay02

Darragh k
    when you say there are plenty of ways to get into atc in ireland what do you mean?

• Advertisement

The way I see it you have 3 options and becoming an aeonautical radio officer isn't one so if you want to count that its 4, but thats not ATC.

You can go by self-sponsorship. Go to ASTAC in England get the training and come back here, do the test and get your license and wait for a vacancy to come up in a regional or something.

Get sponsored. If an airport wants atco's they may pay for your training. They'll send you somewhere like ASTAC in England and you come back, get your license and work for them. Same as previous only your being funded and you have a job to come back to.

Thirdly you can go via the IAA. This is the most mainstream and common but the others do pop up often enough, generally there is in and around 3 to 4 atco positions that become available on an average year.

ASTAC: http://www.astac.co.uk/

Advertisement