Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tattoo artist recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Stay away from Dublin Ink

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

benwavner wrote: »
    Stay away from Dublin Ink

You wanna explain that, or should I just delete it?

You wanna explain that, or should I just delete it?

Do what you want.

The owner, ****ed my arm up before he opened up DI. He bailed on many appointments that he made and he messed up a lot of guys tattoos. Left them in bits, half done, bad lines, poor quality work.

6 years I was waiting for him to finish what he started, in the end I had to get it finished by someone else. A good few studios in Dublin wouldnt finish it for me as it was so bad that they did not want to be associated with the previous work.

They were shocked when I told them the whole story about him.

Delete these posts if you want but tbh if you do, then someone else will be getting messed up.

benwavner wrote: »
    Do what you want.

Honestly, there's no need for any attitude. We just don't allow posts slating studios when they offer no explanation why! Trust me, we have had enough of that in the past, and in order to avoid any problems, simply getting an explanation of why you advise against the place covers it.

Honestly, there's no need for any attitude. We just don't allow posts slating studios when they offer no explanation why! Trust me, we have had enough of that in the past, and in order to avoid any problems, simply getting an explanation of why you advise against the place covers it.

Sorry Damo,

The post comes across as having attitude but that was not the intention.
    I understand about not bashing studios without due cause. I just hope people dont find themselves in my position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 godallmighty22

try <snip> :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

try <snip> :)

:pac::pac: Starting to notice a bit of a pattern, you really do love skin city dont you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 godallmighty22

<snip>
    Quality quality as its for the rest of your life

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I really want to go to Spilled Ink if I ever get any more tattoos, I've heard great things about the place and I've looked at some of their stuff online- amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with CRU Tattoo in Abbey Street? The guys name in there is Karl.

Any idea's?

Cheers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with CRU Tattoo in Abbey Street? The guys name in there is Karl.

Any idea's?

Cheers,

Hi beanFlicker (lol) i just got a tribal done few weeks ago by Karl, top bloke, good price and great tattoo! definitely recommend Cru.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Mick55 wrote: »
    Hi beanFlicker (lol) i just got a tribal done few weeks ago by Karl, top bloke, good price and great tattoo! definitely recommend Cru.

Hi Mick,

Happy it worked out for you, but I had a very different experience to you,

He wanted 20e to do my drawing which he said he would discount from my tattoo, so I said fair enough and gave him it. We then had a Thursday booked for my first sitting and 3 hours before I was to go in, he texted me and said he "lost" my drawing.

We then rearranged for the following day and he bailed on that too. Long story short, I got pissed off and went to Wildcat in Stephens Green.

Had my first session with Attila yesterday in Wildcat, sound guy, very professional, no bullsh*t, his work is amazing and overall highly highly recommend. I'm delighted with the works he's done, back in two weeks to get it finished, so happy out. :cool:

Never saw that drawing either, so ultimately a load of ****

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Hi Mick,

Happy it worked out for you, but I had a very different experience to you,

Never saw that drawing either, so ultimately a load of ****

That's ****ty man, from my experience I can't fault them. Glad it worked out for you though and you got your piece done. I had been around to a few different places pricing up and didn't like the attitude of the artists ( didn't venture as far as Wildcat mind you ) but found Cru to be bang on. Funny how people can have completely different experiences of a place! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deepsigh

A black butterfly? Really?

Maybe it symbolises something important to them. Maybe it even matches a tattoo a loved one had who passed away. Maybe it's a beautiful design and it's purely for aesthetic reasons. Hell, maybe they just really, really like butterflies.

Anyway, I've heard very good things about Wildcat. Attila did some really incredible shading on my friends tattoo. Got one done in Zulu recently myself, they're nice, but pricey. Dublin Ink is expensive and my friend who was tattooed there a couple of years ago said the staff were pretty unfriendly. Never been there myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mr. Pink

I went to Dublin Ink for my first tattoo and had many problems with appointments being rescheduled.

The first time was not their fault I was booked in with a guest artist who on the day decided he doesn't do the style I wanted. The owners were extremely sorry and nice about this which led to a nice discount of 250 on the finished piece.

The other times that were cancelled on me were out of the blue and on the day of the booking leaving me with my appointment nearly 5 moths after the original date.

The tattoo itself I love and was done by Dave Murphy who was really friendly and obviously very proud of the work he does and was enthusiastic during the work, it was freehanded pic is below.

I'd recommend Dave for work as I think he did an amazing job just not Dublin Ink unfortunately for him I hope he moves elsewhere as Dublin Ink are terrible with appointments.

221771.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25 andrewosdit

I second everything being said about Dublin Ink. Personal experience just last week resulted in the following f*** ups:

Quoted different prices on email/instore/on day of appointment.
    Didn't even take my artwork that i wanted done, instead used crap stock photos that looked nothing similar.

Even after that (and yes i take some blame for that) i went ahead anyways. Thennnn....

Dude shaved my arm (no water, no gel no nothing, left me red for two days and now have dry skin.
    Theennnn...

After about an hour and half of sketching the artwork on my arm informs me (just before starting might i add)...That it will be 2 sittings...which i wasnt even aware of...Calls the guy over..he says "yeah 2 sittings, 550-600 euro piece...for a lower arm tattoo!

Tried to convince me to get outline done for the money i had, which was my birthday present as well, i told him no and left.

Shambles.

Im sure theyre quality is good, dont doubt that....But serious team communication needed in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Didn't even take my artwork that i wanted done, instead used crap stock photos that looked nothing similar.

Even after that (and yes i take some blame for that).

Why in the world did you even consider continuing the process after this ? Its your skin and its permanent. Insane to compromise on quality for convenience.

I'm glad you didn't go through with it in the end.

Dry shaving the area to be tattooed is common practice. You don't want that? Shave it yourself before you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Just dropping my own two cents in here as I've been tattooed and pierced in a good few shops at this stage.

I wouldn't go near Dublin Ink. For piercings or tattoos. How their piercer got her job is just beyond me, she's made a mess of my sisters helix and a friends lobe (HOW do you f*ck up a lobe piercing) she should give it up before she really tries something she's not able for and leaves someone with a serious problem. Some of their tattoo work is okay, nothing incredible, unfortunately on the people I know with work from Dublin Ink, two are currently in the process of covering them up/fixing them. It seems crazy to me in this day and age that a tattoo only a few months old would be so poorly done it needs to be fixed. I can't speak for their artists as people, but I've heard on here and from people I know that there's some big attitude problems in the shop too, take from that what you will.

I used to get all my piercings at Wildcat when I was 15 to 17. I never found the people there particularly nice, especially those on the desk but I stuck with them for a long time, until the British woman (who I would gladly shame if I knew her name) messed up my bridge piercing and told me I'd moved during the procedure. The piercing was not only crooked but shallow with a lot of blood. She then said she'd repierce it for me but I would have to pay another €70. I told her no way and she'd be piercing it again correctly for no extra cost which she did after a lot of huffing. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I haven't gone near them in about three years. A shame because Greg (who seems to have vanished into thin air?) and the American guy (Patric?) were both brilliant piercers and a pleasure to deal with. Since then I've gotten all piercings done by Steve at Snakebite and I can't recommend him highly enough, one of the soundest guys I've met in the piercing community. Paddy from Bodyshock is also a gentleman and great piercer, but I only went to him once.

Spilled Ink are fantastic and I hope to get Paul to do some Japanese work on my right arm when I'm finished the left. He's done one tattoo for me so far and it looks brand new still, healed up perfectly and he was great to deal with before, during and after the tattoo. The owner seems like a very nice guy too, as does the other tattooer Anto, and I've seen a lot of his work on a friend and it's all good. Classic Ink are my other studio of choice, where I've gotten a lot done recently. Great shop and always a good energy in the place, great for anyone who's nervous about a first tattoo or just in general. Lots of flash to choose from if you're looking for reference, or just to choose a classic design. All the lads will also modify any existing flash however you like. I got my first tattoo at Golden Cat when I was young and knew no better, and will be having it covered up soon. It's not the worst, but it's far from the best. Can't speak for them now as I've not been in, but from what I've seen on Facebook the quality of work is still average at best. Got my second tattoo from someone in Snakebite two years ago and for what the tattoo is they did a fine job, but they were far from pleasant to deal with, no interest in naming the artist because everyone has their off days and I only met them once, it just made for a bad experience and an uncomfortable atmosphere, no good when you're getting a six hour tattoo. I've also seen some lovely stuff from Colourworks and Skin City but never been in myself.

Anyway that's my experience of these shops. I know it's a long post and I'm sure I repeated myself a few times in other posts but I think it's better I give all the details rather than just praising one studio and bashing another. There's a few more I've been into and walked right out of again, a lot of places don't last very long or change their name or artists, so it'd be unfair to say x was a kip last year when it might be putting out incredible work now. I have no connection to any studio nor am I in any way involved in tattooing or piercing others, so I hope this post isn't a problem, just sharing my 5 or so years of experience with Dublin studios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I found Pzremo in Skin City very good to deal with (via email) and the speed of responses and his helpfulness is definitely worthy of a mention.

I've yet to see what the attitude of the artists is like though, heading up next Thursday for my first one with Pawel so I'll find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Dermighty wrote: »
    I found Pzremo in Skin City very good to deal with (via email) and the speed of responses and his helpfulness is definitely worthy of a mention.

i'll agree with u there with regards to email.i was in chatting to him about my planned sleeve and he was genuinely very excited talking to me about it and sharing ideas.really nice guy who knows his stuff.he does the lasering there too (i had a session with him a few weeks back)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mahoner81

Total load of tosh telling people to stay away from Dublin Ink. Been tattooed all over the citythey're ****ing legit. I personally had the pleasure of being tattooed by Zsolt Sarkosi there, if you think someone like that would go and work in a **** studio then you haven't got a clue about tattooing. On a side note I still reckon Attila in Wildcat is the best in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stonecutter01

The most impressive work I've seen in Dublin was by woyts in wildcat who was criminally underrated. I dont think he works there anymore but when i rang last time they said he will be back to do guest spots regularly.

Attila in wildcat is also very good and underrated, unfortunately he doesn't have much of a portfolio online but I have seen many of his works in the flesh and they are really impressive.

Remis would be my first choice for realism, not sure where he's working at the mo though.

Darren and Rob in colourworks have great portfolios for new school and old school and script but I had a really bad experience with them so I would never recommend them. I booked an appointment with Darren, he cancelled twice last minute and the third time I showed up at the scheduled time and he was tattooing one of his friends so he got Rob to do the tattoo(who was still an apprentice unbeknownst to me). I foolishly went along with it because I had just turned 18 and didn't know any better. It took him ages and he charged me over 100 an hour and it literally was one of the worst tattoo's I've ever seen, and I wore long sleeves only for ages after until i decided to get it covered up i was so embarrassed by it. In fairness he's really good now but I dont think I'll ever forgive them for that.

Another really talented yet not well known artist is Radu Klein, he is incredibly good value and super friendly, can't recommend him highly enough.https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3807602662903.2148354.1062518589&type=3

Dublin ink do have some great artists. Norbi is really nice and super talented, Dave Murphy isn't half bad either, Isnard Barbsa is a resident artist now and he is definitely one of the best in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just a heads up Cris Gherman doesn't work in Dublin Ink anymore and hasn't done for sometime, in fact hes leaving the country soon. As for Leigh he no longer has anything to do with Dublin Ink he's now running another studio in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 stonecutter01

well colour me red:P In that case Dublin Ink is alright by me:-) shame about chris leaving he had a very distinctive style that I liked a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

I wouldn't go near Dublin Ink. For piercings or tattoos. How their piercer got her job is just beyond me, she's made a mess of my sisters helix and a friends lobe (HOW do you f*ck up a lobe piercing) she should give it up before she really tries something she's not able for and leaves someone with a serious problem.

I don't usually post in this forum, but I disagree entirely - I've been going to Dublin Ink for piercings and they've all healed perfectly, particularly my dermals. Though I know it's personal experience, so I accept she could have made mistakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stelovesvilla

I think it's better I give all the details rather than just praising one studio and bashing another.

Sounds like you just bashed Dublin Ink there with little or no details at all! I've had 3 pieces done there now- 2 by Matyas "Csiga" Halasz and the other 1 by Norbert Halasz and not only is the work outstanding the general buzz in the place is great too. I'm sure they have their off days and like everyone else can be dicks when they want to be, but my experiences so far have been top notch. The guy Leigh they had there was an asshole though, but I hear he's gone ages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

People are giving their experiences of Dublin Ink (and other studios), both good and bad. If you don't believe the poster who gave them a bad review, check for other threads on them in this forum. It's certainly not the only bad review given, they have gotten both great and dog-awful reviews on this forum. The poster gave as much, if not more detail than you anyway, so I dunno why you're saying they gave little or no detail. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 afterglow82

Just dropping my own two cents in here as I've been tattooed and pierced in a good few shops at this stage.

I wouldn't go near Dublin Ink. For piercings or tattoos. How their piercer got her job is just beyond me, she's made a mess of my sisters helix and a friends lobe (HOW do you f*ck up a lobe piercing) she should give it up before she really tries something she's not able for and leaves someone with a serious problem. Some of their tattoo work is okay, nothing incredible, unfortunately on the people I know with work from Dublin Ink, two are currently in the process of covering them up/fixing them. It seems crazy to me in this day and age that a tattoo only a few months old would be so poorly done it needs to be fixed. I can't speak for their artists as people, but I've heard on here and from people I know that there's some big attitude problems in the shop too, take from that what you will.

The girl in Dublin ink has done most of my piercings, including a good few dermals, and I know a lot of people that wouldn't go to anyone for a piercing except her. I've had bad experiences in a few of the other Dublin studios before I started going to Dublin ink, but I've never had a problem with any of the piercings I've got from her.
    Also very reasonable price (they often have offer days), and really friendly, just my 2c but I think she's brilliant.
    (I've heard wildcat are very good too, but ive never been to them myself)

As for their tattoo artists, I would say that if you can get an appointment within a few days, and only pay 50/hr or so, there's probably a reason. If, like in DI, you have to wait a couple of months, and pay a bit more, it's because so many people love their work. From what I've seen they have some of the best resident and guest artists in the country, and ill definitely be going back for more, even if it means waiting a couple months for an appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

^^^^^^^^^ has there ever been a more obvious shill on this forum?

Advertisement