Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dont forget that Tulsk could be a World Heritage site within a few years either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lotusm

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Dont forget that Tulsk could be a World Heritage site within a few years either. :)
    Roscommon Co. Co. have taken the archaeological sites in to account looking at document I attached and speaking to the road design team they did not consider the carrick option. Eventhough it would be an alternative route it roughly 24 Km from Frenchpark (google maps) to Carrick and roughly 30 KM going to Strokes town would finish it, for the sake additional 6Km it wont be break the bank. Also Why would the govt have started the Longford Bypass to the N5 if not to join it up in time unless I am missing something . ;)

True about the route selection . The N4 justifies a 2+2 or Motorway (Carrick-Mullingar) once the N5 joins as Westtip also pointed out. The N5 alone only warrants Reduced S2. Factor that in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Well, if we're digging so deep trying to find alternative routes, why not think about upgrading miserable N17 between Charlestown and Collooney? ;)

The part located between Charlestown and Tubbercurry goes very close to unused from ages railroad - and that is quite straight compare to the road itself, so it'd be (IMO) worth thinking about (don't know how that railroad goes further). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

joujoujou wrote: »
    Well, if we're digging so deep trying to find alternative routes, why not think about upgrading miserable N17 between Charlestown and Collooney? ;)

The part located between Charlestown and Tubbercurry goes very close to unused from ages railroad - and that is quite straight compare to the road itself, so it'd be (IMO) worth thinking about (don't know how that railroad goes further). :)

There are already plans for this as part of the Atlantic Corridor:

Tobercurry to Knock (incl. Charlestown Bypass)

Collooney to Tobercurry Bypass

Tobercurry Bypass

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Yeah, 2 out of 3 suspended. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Pieces from the Mayo News and the Western People about the sod turning ceremony and work getting under way.

Good God I never knew that N17 Collooney to Tobercurry Bypass was still alive and in planning. :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Good God I never knew that N17 Collooney to Tobercurry Bypass was still alive and in planning. :eek:
    I just checked my own records here that I keep and that project was indeed suspended in 2011, they must have reactivated it on the qt.

• spacetweek wrote: »
    Indeed I just checked my own records here that I keep and that project was indeed suspended in 2011, they must have reactivated it on the qt.

It is one of the slowest and most dangerous stretches between Sligo and Galway. Hopefully it will be started this decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Report from the Roscommon People on the commencement of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

So, how is this project going? Any major works done this winter?
    Maybe some local folks could check it out and post some pictures.

Geogregor wrote: »
    So, how is this project going? Any major works done this winter?
    Maybe some local folks could check it out and post some pictures.

I've been talking to a lad that's part of the project, they're doing a lot of heavy digging. can't give any more detail than that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

they are heading down into a bog at the moment with fill .they are fairly moving

Are there any significant structures (bridges, overpasses) or is it fairly straightforward project?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

macker16 wrote: »
    they are heading down into a bog at the moment with fill
    I'd say there'd be a whole lot of bog on this project.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Are there any significant structures (bridges, overpasses) or is it fairly straightforward project?
    The new route does not cross the old one so I would imagine there are not too many bridges.

spacetweek wrote: »
    The new route does not cross the old one so I would imagine there are not too many bridges.

There would also be bridges if it's crossing rail lines (don't know if there is one), minor roads & rivers. There are 50+ structures along the M6 Galway - Ballinasloe, it crosses the old N6 once.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

R293 Ballaghaderreen-Sligo is the only "major" road crossing, will become the new junction for the town. It crosses several minior link roads, and the Lung river near where it joins Lough Gara so there could be a wide structure there.

Ballaghaderreen-Kilfree rail line pulled up in 60s. Some of the embankment remains but not much else in the area.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/5994423216/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Occasionally former trackbeds are still boxed to allow for potential reopenings/greenways/paths.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    There would also be bridges if it's crossing rail lines (don't know if there is one), minor roads & rivers. There are 50+ structures along the M6 Galway - Ballinasloe, it crosses the old N6 once.
    True, but I'd imagine most or all of the minor road crossings would be at-grade considering it's only the N5.

spacetweek wrote: »
    True, but I'd imagine most or all of the minor road crossings would be at-grade considering it's only the N5.

True - I've no idea what kind of standard this road is planned to (SC/DC), but after driving on the A1 to belfast a few wekes ago I'd rather not see at grade junctions.

Unregistered Users

[...] what kind of standard this road is planned to (SC/DC), [...]

[...] The scheme which comprises of 13.6km of standard single carriageway will provide a bypass to the north of Ballaghaderreen town. The project will include realignment/bridging of local road junctions and a major grade separated junction at the N5/R293 interface. [...]

:)

Good to see they're putting in a grade-separated junction with the R293. The junctions work well on the Claremorris and Knock bypasses (N17) which are also single-carriageway.

Unregistered Users

Here ya go, lads. ;)

Fresh photos, shot this morning. :D

Pictures are not perfect, as I noticed too late I have ISO set way too high, so photos are quite grainy. :o

Also, for obvious reasons couldn't get onto a site, but it's still better than nothing. :p

View to the East from R293. Presumably the new N5 will go under R293, as they're digging very deep. Couldn't shoot opposite side of R293, as the road is very narrow there (no shoulder at all) and I didn't want to take a risk and walk in quite heavy traffic. Sorry for that.

242134.jpg

Going West - local road parallel to R293, closed to through traffic.

Big BOOM to be expected today! :D

242135.jpg

That's what you can see behind a sign...

242136.jpg

...and this...

242137.jpg

...and finally this:

242138.jpg

More pics in a minute. :)

Unregistered Users

More, as promised. :cool:

Comment not necessary:

242139.jpg

Going more West, next local road, forest already gone, preparations in progress, view to the East...

242140.jpg

...and West:

242141.jpg

And deeper to the East again, you can see dust made by really hard working people and their powerful machines:

242142.jpg

And close-up of above:

242143.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Wow, they're not wasting much time!!! :D

Great Pictures!

Wow, great shots, thanks.
    Do they have a lot of blasting to do? I wasn't expecting blasting at all in this part of Ireland.

In general I'm surprised how often it seems to be used in Ireland. In Poland even where they have to do big cuts for roads they never really use it. Of course we have mostly soft postglacial soils but even where they remove rocks they don't blast.

Wow, great shots, thanks.
    Do they have a lot of blasting to do? I wasn't expecting blasting at all in this part of Ireland.

It's to do with the rock type. We have a lot of Limestone in Ireland (especially in the west) that blasting is the only really effective way of moving the rock in the large quantities required.

• Advertisement

It's to do with the rock type. We have a lot of Limestone in Ireland (especially in the west) that blasting is the only really effective way of moving the rock in the large quantities required.
    Have a look at this, on the Knock bypass.

Serious amounts of rock removed here, and I'd say it would take forever were it to be done by conventional rock breaking.

Advertisement