Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cost and time. The widening "had" to be finished for the Ryder Cup (roadworks would have made a bad impression, admittedly).

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

MYOB wrote: »
    Cost and time. The widening "had" to be finished for the Ryder Cup (roadworks would have made a bad impression, admittedly).

True, but why didn't they plan it and include it in the subsequent M50 upgrade, which was being mooted at that time. The current arrangement is crazy; get rid of the Mad Cow roundabout and move the chaos a mile down the road!!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Project creep. Include it and they'd have been asked to include the N4 at Palmerston, and maybe widening the M1 to D3 a bit further up, and and and....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agreed, but leaving one set of traffic lights on the Naas road was just daft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I am told by a man in the NRA the NX/N11 should start construction in Spring 2011.

ps - he also reckoned they could do the N11 in 18 months but that Newlands could take 30 months. Which is surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

They should've done Newlands when they were doing the M50, the traffic just all backs up there now, why wait for another 3 years til it's done - the planning people in Ireland just have no cop on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

At a glance it would seem like doing them both at the same time would make most sense but I'd say the logistics of maintaining decent traffic flow at the Red Cow and Newlands Cross while upgrading them both at the same time would be pretty difficult.
    It's very easy to say that planning in Ireland is **** but the planners have to deal with very real limitations such as budget and resources. We'd all love everything to be done at once but whose going to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

At a glance it would seem like doing them both at the same time would make most sense but I'd say the logistics of maintaining decent traffic flow at the Red Cow and Newlands Cross while upgrading them both at the same time would be pretty difficult.
    It's very easy to say that planning in Ireland is **** but the planners have to deal with very real limitations such as budget and resources. We'd all love everything to be done at once but whose going to pay for it.

I don't think it would have been. AFAIK, Newlands X will be managed by building the Southbound slips first and diverting S/B traffic there. That might leave enough space between same and the Northbound C/W to construct the overpass. 3 lanes would have to be maintained at most times, but the S/B slips can be initially made wider and then "tailored" back to permanent requirements after the works. Such an approach could leave N7 traffic pretty unhindered for the most part at the said location.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

I don't think it would have been. AFAIK, Newlands X will be managed by building the Southbound slips first and diverting S/B traffic there. That might leave enough space between same and the Northbound C/W to construct the overpass. 3 lanes would have to be maintained at most times, but the S/B slips can be initially made wider and then "tailored" back to permanent requirements after the works. Such an approach could leave N7 traffic pretty unhindered for the most part at the said location.

Regards!

You make it sound very easy, almost too easy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^^ It would be easy. Planners for the roads over here over complicate things just so it looks like they've something to do but even when they do get started with a project they can mess everything up (bog part of M7 for example).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Wild Bill wrote: »
    I am told by a man in the NRA the NX/N11 should start construction in Spring 2011.

ps - he also reckoned they could do the N11 in 18 months but that Newlands could take 30 months. Which is surprising.

That would be great - I'm staying in Arklow at the moment - just off the M11 Southern Section. Would be great if both the North (Ashford/Rathnew) and South (Arklow/Gorey) sections were joined up. IMO, the M11 in Bray is really an extension of the M50 that happens to be on the N11 route. Back to the main topic, the only problem is that in order for there to be a complete motorway from Rathnew to Gorey (assuming completion of the Arklow to Rathnew scheme), some extra work would be needed to sort out private access points along existing DC sections - particularly near the Beehive.

BTW, I just can't see Newlands X taking 30 months - aren't the services already relocated, as well as the CPOed land fenced off. IMO, the sequence of working should broadly follow this pattern:

1) Construct temporary SB carriageway parallel (with a large offset) to existing - both the temporary SB and the existing NB carriageway would eventually form the long on/off slips with the R113;

2) Divert SB traffic with reduced lane widths (2 x 3 lanes) for all N7 traffic and fence off the long island sites both East and West of the R113;

3) Construct the overpass for N7 traffic and build up the approach ramps with reinforced earth or use subsoil between parallel RC retaining walls;

4) After compaction and settlement time, construct the new N7 mainline along with all the furnishings;

5) Carry out the tie-in works (at night and off-peak periods) and divert the mainline traffic onto the new alignment. Reduce the width of the slips to the required specification and resurface as part of the tie-in phase;

6) Landscaping works.

Seriously, would that take 30 months? :eek:

I reckon the guy mixed up the time spans - I'd guess:

30 months for the N11 Arklow to Rathnew and
    18 months for Newlands X

With the N11 A-R DC, a lot of realignment is required on the existing N11 first - traffic management will probably be fairly complex.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Back to the main topic, the only problem is that in order for there to be a complete motorway from Rathnew to Gorey (assuming completion of the Arklow to Rathnew scheme), some extra work would be needed to sort out private access points along existing DC sections - particularly near the Beehive.

Beehive is SC, I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Main work would be at the tie in with the Arklow bypass, eg removing lilo access to rugby club etc , would that need a new distributor road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Newlands was backed up beyond junction 10 of the M50 on Friday evening. Last time I attempt to get at the N7 that way, far too dangerous.

What is it like to go west along the N81 and cut back north onto the N7, is that quicker is it a massive bottleneck too?

Edit: changed N18 to N81. Some detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

BTW, I just can't see Newlands X taking 30 months - aren't the services already relocated, as well as the CPOed land fenced off. I

This brochure for the Newlands Cross junction upgrade estimates that the overpass option would take "less than 2 years".
    So hopefully you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

can we get some life into this forum thread as it was confirmed to me today by NRA that the tenders for this project will be awarded by year end and work should commence in Q1 2011 and be completed by end of 2012

can we get some life into this forum thread as it was confirmed to me today by NRA that the tenders for this project will be awarded by year end and work should commence in Q1 2011 and be completed by end of 2012

Its great news that this is progressing and I'm sure once the tender is awarded and work begins on the improvement there will be life in the thread.

But for the moment there's not a lot to discuss really. Everybody is in agreement that this improvement should be done (and indeed should have been done long before this). Beyond that what's to discuss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Ok. I don't go through Newlands all that often in general, but over the past two months I have gone through it ten times at times ranging from 9am to 4pm and each time I pretty much sailed through it, bar waiting for maybe a maximum of 3 or 4 minutes. How bad can it get?

Furet wrote: »
    Ok. I don't go through Newlands all that often in general, but over the past two months I have gone through it ten times at times ranging from 9am to 4pm and each time I pretty much sailed through it, bar waiting for maybe a maximum of 3 or 4 minutes. How bad can it get?

45mins inbound some mornings, 25 most. Can be 25mins to turn left off the Belgard Road to outbound in the evenings.

The Red Cow and the ORR extension have helped a lot, as well as the general reduced traffic. Flashing orange on left turn slips would help more, but it has to be done right.

You've been very lucky I have to say. I've spent times between ten and twenty minutes (mainly coming outbound at times between 4pm and 5:30pm). Yes there have been other times when I've gone through fairly quickly but I don't think that there can be any argument about it being a crazy bottleneck and it should have been upgraded in conjunction with the M50 expansion. After all the N7 to Naas is one of the busiest roads in the country.

I haven't experienced as many problems inbound because I've not been doing it at early morning rush hour but there still can be delays of a few minutes at the inbound side at times during the day because of the lights. Also delays here are complicated by the fact that of the three inbound lanes to the Red Cow Interchange only one is allocated to the M50 which creates a huge amount of traffic in that lane and a huge amount of people attempting to get into the M50 lane at the very last minute, which causes all sorts of chaos. They really didn't get approach to the M50 right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭rameire

it takes me about 2 min each way in heavy rush hour traffic.
    but if you want to see the road clog up
    use the dublin city council website fro traffic camera's link HERE

Naas road Newland cross pic is near the bottom.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would I be right in assuming that whenever Newlands Cross is upgraded that the this section of N7 will become M7? More blue on the map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭wetling

murpho999 wrote: »
    Would I be right in assuming that whenever Newlands Cross is upgraded that the this section of N7 will become M7? More blue on the map?

You would be wrong, hows uncle gaybo gonna catch any speeders if they start upgrading n roads to m, thats where all the easy pickin's are.

But no, its still the old road+route, like the n4 by liffey valley to liexlip

murpho999 wrote: »

Can't. Private accesses littered along it.

MYOB wrote: »
    Can't. Private accesses littered along it.

Which is infuriating. Ditto for parts of the N18 and N25.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Son of Stupido

At least the plans will get rid of the accesses.

I would bet a toll will appear on this stretch in the near future.

Which is infuriating. Ditto for parts of the N18 and N25.

Wasn't the original plan for the M7 to go the whole way to Dublin and join the M50 at a new junction - Junction 8 - but due to delays it was necessary to upgrade the existing N7 to three lanes for the Ryder Cup and because of that they then scrapped the idea of Junction 8.

So we ended with a half finished solution and a motorway that stops 15 miles from the M50. Its a real pity as providing a full M7 to Naas along with the alternative 2-lane N7 would have created better access routes out of the city.

Can I suggest that we rename this thread to Newlands Cross only and move the N11 Arklow-Rathnew posts to the N/M11 updates thread? While both projects may be ongoing at the same time they are completely unrelated.

Jayuu wrote: »
    Can I suggest that we rename this thread to Newlands Cross only and move the N11 Arklow-Rathnew posts to the N/M11 updates thread? While both projects may be ongoing at the same time they are completely unrelated.

I am thinking about splitting this plus the M11 thread into separate threads for distinct schemes. It's a lot of work though (believe me!) and I don't really feel up to it at the moment. Duly noted though. I'll sort it out before too long. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

In the evening rush hour,traffic on the M50 going north towards red cow exit can be backed up to the Ballymount interchange,and this is all due to the hold up at Newlands X,at the the moment this is extremly dangerous as there are cars etc trying to get into lanes for the red cow and traffic from Ballymount trying to get on to M50

• Advertisement

I am thinking about splitting this plus the M11 thread into separate threads for distinct schemes. It's a lot of work though (believe me!) and I don't really feel up to it at the moment. Duly noted though. I'll sort it out before too long. :)

+1 :D

Advertisement