Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Might it be labour

• 13-01-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, a bit of twinging in my lower abdomen and nether region and occasional pinches, I dont think it is labour because it has been like this for 2 days, I'm under a bit of stress this week with a bad chest infection/head cold and looking after a very difficult mother in law to be with a fractured wrist, she really is trying alot my patience and energy to an extant I am worrying about premature labour. I'm at 36 weeks so not too premature. Is it just the baby dropping or should I get to Shannondoc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Babys head could be engaging, which could explain you getting pinching and pains in your downstairs. Also, there is every likelyhood you are having Braxton Hicks contractions (which feels like a tightening sensation, shouldn't really be a "pain" as such). If you are having early contractions they would be painful to a degree and might be coming in somewhat of a pattern, you could be feeling a lot of backache. I remember when I was nearly at my EDD having the same sort of twinges, pains downstairs etc... was nothing but some Braxton Hicks and I had to be induced because she was too comfy inside :)

If you have any mucousy show it can be a sign that labour is coming in the next few days to a week, however if you have a bleed or your waters break you should get to hospital as soon as you can.

Also, if you have any headaches, get severe swelling (esp. hands and feet) or experience visual disturbances you should ring your hospital.

Doesn't sound to me like you're in labour yet, could just be babys head engaging with some accompanying Braxton Hicks. Is this your first baby? Afaik, first babies heads engage from around 35 weeks on, whereas second and subsequent babies a lot of the time don't engage until the mum is in established labour.

Best of luck though, you're on the home stretch!

LINKS

Good page with signs of labour and tips to pass the time during early labour

Braxton Hicks - telling the difference between them and "real" labour pains

Info on head engaging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Don't think its labour, you get all sorts of twinges and pains at this stage of your pregnancy (I'm just about a week ahead of you on my second)

When its labour, you will definitely know about it. If you get a strong pain, which you suspect is a contraction, check the time and see if another one comes along and time it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm just about the same as you wolfpawn. 36 weeks completed today. Thank god I don't have the MIL issue but I have the cold/ chest infection. Not fair on us.

To be honest I haven't had any braxton hicks that I know of yet so embee is right it could be that. If baby has engaged people should be able to see that bump has dropped a bit and maybe you're always running to the toilet like me!

Speaking of BH, what I used to think were BH when I'd feel a lot of pressure and my tummy would go all hard was the baby moving as I asked the doc after a trace.

When's your next doc appointment? Mine is tommorow at hosp and I will be seeing my own doc the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

not due to be back at the hospital until monday but because I just want to be sure everything is ok I will see my GP after lunch. At no stage are these twinges painful, it feels as though the baby is pressing on a nerve in my pelvic floor. I have noticed thee bump going further down, also it is getting smaller (I presume thats nothing but the position changing so I am not at all worried about that. Its just the pinching feeling every so often, I kinda guessed it couldnt be proper labour, as I said to my OH I'm sure if it was proper labour I'd feel it. I just remember alot of woen mentioning that they had twinges for the few days before their real labour set in. But sure will have my lunch and annoy my GP then afterwards:):D

Let us know how you got on :)

• Advertisement

So anyway went to the doc, yes it was Braxton Hicks and he is happy that I have another while yet before the real deal. Thankfully I have a great GP that insists that if I am in anyway nervous or unsure I am to ring his home number at any time and he or his wife (also a gp) will see me immediately. I feel this is why I have not been worried the whole time, having a supportive and competent gp makes all the difference.

Only thing is he took more bloods because of my stress and being sick, as good as I think he is as a doc, i really think he is a bit vampire like on the old blood tests:D:) He is not happy with the MIL stressing me out, he is fit to rip her a new one (he knows her personally and knows what shes like) and thinks that the stress from her might have caused the BH.

Sadly not allowed get anything for the chest infection, even though I am in agony with the sore throat and I feel like a cat trying to get a hair ball out of my throat because of the infection, but he said the good antibiotics that would aid my chest would be inclined to induce labour, so I have to go just wade it out. Thankfully I am not staying in the sane room as my OH at the moment (my broken sleep was driving him crazy because if I wake up I go on the internet (like now) or read a book. So me coughing and sniffling isnt driving him crazy!

Is your GP in enniskerry by any chance? He sounds great.
    I would love to kick my husband out of the bedroom at this stage as I am so restless at night and awake every hour or so for the toilet and am always worried about disturbing him. He will be exiled when the baby is born for sure :) although some nights I might exile myself and he can share with baby. I love my sleep.

If you're not getting antibiotics I guess I'm not either. I find blackcurrent lockets very good especially in the middle of the night when I wake up choking

When is your due date. I'm having an elective section on the 5th so 3 weeks from today. Hope you have gotten rid of your MIL by the time the baby comes or at least that she is better. My MIL is a dote but lives in UK, otherwise she'd be my slave. Very maternal type. Not like me :o

This gp is in Kilrush, Co. Clare! The man is brilliant I swear! I am having the baby in Dublin but I have to move to Kilrush afterwards to look after the MIL again (I must have ordered a genocide in a previous life!) But thankfully she cant be as bad with the baby around because no1 will be paying any attwntion to her woes (a bit of a drama queen)

I am due the 12th, but a high chance of a c-section (something about my hips and babys position) to tell you the truth I would rather have the section!!! Wish I could have one electively but you have to pay dont you!?

Well I moved into the room that is the baby's nursery because it is hughe! Double bed, cot and all the boxes of this and that everywhere and still space to burn! (I especially love having the double bed to myself:D)

Well, got a phone call from the nurse in my gp's, get my ass down this instant, went down, not too worried and she did bp tests, took urine and called my gp. Apparently my gp had seen me walking and didnt like how I looked and wanted me in. I have odema and high levels of protein in my urine - classic signs of preeclamsia, thankfully good bp, so they arent forcing me into hospital but I am to leave the MIL house and head to dub to keep it down:D

Bit scared now but thankfully nothing bad at the moment. OH is having kittens though.

If it gets any worse I am off to the Rotunda. Told to keep my feet up and drink loads of hot fluids. So MIL making this about her but I'm ignoring it completly and trying to relax:) Any advice any1???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Just relax, relax, relax. Don't get your stress up! If your bp rises then your more at risk of pre eclempsia!

Your MIL sounds like a right pillock... my MIL is brilliant... I'm so lucky...

• Advertisement

Oh I am relaxed, sitting down now with my legs up watching tv and farting about on my laptop. going to my friends house for a cup of tea to keep me nice and calm, I have to get the train to Dublin in the morning.

My MIL is telling me I am not allowed stay here because SHE cannot deal with me and the baby. She expects my OH to finish his exams and come down here to her for the week and leave me in Dub in a house by myself if the hospital decide to leave me continue with the pregnancy to full term. When we said no he would stay with me she called us selfish and cruel to her and says our baby is not as important as her. I laughed.

Without sounding cruel she has had 65 years of life this baby is healthy and has no reason why it shouldnt be fine when it arrives but she wants to deny it that because she had the stupidity to fracture her arm! If, heaven forbid something happened me and I was not able to help myself and he wasnt there we could have severe problems.

I am not allowing it to stress me though:) I am doing what I need to for the baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Dear God wolfpawnat she sounds like a right piece of work. Lots of nodding and smiling is called for at this stage I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Oooh, your mother in law sounds psychotic. Be thankful your other half is strong enough to stand up to her and tell her that you and the baby come first, and let her have all the hissy fits she wants.. if she thinks she needs to behave like an infant, that's her prerogative!

Keep those feet up and take it easy!

Well you see we are used to her, but in all fairness no person should be that selfish. I mean this is her grandchild but she sees it as competetion. We are starting to think she is getting dementia.

My gp is also her gp so he knows what she is like and is keeping a eye on everything. He is not letting her stress me out. Hence why they want me back in Dublin with my OH and away from her

don't underestimate the effect someone like that could have wolfpawnat... so best to get out of there! Did I read that you're going to be living with her? Will this be a long term thing?

We are planning on me staying with her for a whle after the baby is born, but thankfully I can move into a house nearby if needed. I rather not be in a house by myself (my OH is studying medicine in Dub so we cant stay there and expect him to pass exams) but if she is too much for me and baby we can move to that house.

I am not letting her get to me. I am relaxing and making sure I have everything ready for tomorrow morning. I am bringing only my hospital bag and the buggy with me and am going by train to give myself space. I have clothes and whatnot in Dublin so not stressing myself in the slightest:)

At least you have options. you never know she might actually turn out to be useful when the baby is born :p I've a similar relative who caused a fair amount of stress when I was pregnant but changed completely once babs was born.

Well we think its her trying to get over the fact she wont be the centre of attention when its born. She has never had to share the limelight before so the baby has taken that off her

you're probably right. I guess having a grandchild arrive is also a reminder of getting old etc. It was similar with my relative but once she saw the helpless little baba (who arrived premature just days after one of her major stress inducing wobblies- hmmm) and realised that the little munchkin needed all our attention she changed considerably though the occasional wobbly is still thrown:p

littlebug wrote: »
    you're probably right. I guess having a grandchild arrive is also a reminder of getting old etc. It was similar with my relative but once she saw the helpless little baba (who arrived premature just days after one of her major stress inducing wobblies- hmmm) and realised that the little munchkin needed all our attention she changed considerably though the occasional wobbly is still thrown:p

Jesus... my poor mother is only 41 she won't like to see that littlebug ;)

The Rotunda is a lovely place, hopefully you won't be in there for long wolfpawnat!

• Advertisement

Ya, sounds like the 2 are related, she says she is doing me a favour keeoping me here, but I told her that I know shes not taking her heart meds and that the gp knows too because of me. He told her if she doesnt take them he will force her to be put into care.

Why would you not take your heart meds? I am as good as being begged by her kids to mind her here rather than having her admitted to hospital. I am willing to do it only if she respects me and baby are not going to come second to her drama episodes!

Jesus... my poor mother is only 41 she won't like to see that littlebug ;)

The Rotunda is a lovely place, hopefully you won't be in there for long wolfpawnat!

lordy adrienne your mother is only 2 years older than me:eek:

i was thinking of the... em.. more mature grandparents:D

Ya I love the Rotunda, they have been nothing but lovely to me. And I like the security measures and cleanliness of the place too! The midwives and even the students are so polite and try to do everything for you.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I am as good as being begged by her kids to mind her here rather than having her admitted to hospital. I am willing to do it only if she respects me and baby are not going to come second to her drama episodes!

well that's handy for them. Be careful you don't get into a "caring" situation that you can't get out of, or make sure you're getting all the support you need for being there with her. You're a better woman than I... I know the day will come when my relative has to move in and it scares the bejaysus out of me:eek:

lordy adrienne your mother is only 2 years older than me:eek:

i was thinking of the... em.. more mature grandparents:D

Yeah, she wasn't happy I was making her a granny so early!! But she dotes on the baby now, so does granda!!

well that's handy for them. Be careful you don't get into a "caring" situation that you can't get out of, or make sure you're getting all the support you need for being there with her. You're a better woman than I... I know the day will come when my relative has to move in and it scares the bejaysus out of me:eek:

Well my OH is concerned that if it comes to choosing between me and baby and her. He said it already and said it to her and the gp too, in to care she goes! Her daughter who lives in the UK is saying no thats not fair, but feck it she shouldnt get as big a say if she isnt willing to come over and help!

Hi Wolfpawnat

I had a busy day yesterday with the hosp and shopping so was properly bushed when I got home. The doc in the Rotunda gave me a prescription for a cough bottle. Codinex! Pure codeine phospate. I was very surprised but it says on the bottle it's for dry irriatating coughs. I have asthma and am very prone to bad chest infections so she's hoping with the help of this I can fight it off. Might be worth mentioning to your GP as certainly going to make you feel a bit better. :eek:

We are due on the same day in the Rotunda (12th Feb) but I'm booked in for an elective section on the 5th, so you never know, if you go early we may meet there. I'm semi-private and am delighted with the standard of care so far.

Thats mad about Kilrush as I practically grew up in Kilkee ( my grandmother was from cappagh) and my family has a house in Kilkee, we use all year round. I don't understand how you can get up and down to Dublin though as 30 mins is all I can manage in a car these days, otherwise I would have gone down to Kilkee over xmas. Looking forward to bringing the babe there this summer.

Your MIL does sound like she is suffering from dementia or depression or something. I hope you can extract yourself from the situation soon as you'll have more than enough on your plate. Your needs first so that the baby can get the best start in life. A happy Mum should equal a happy baby and the reverse can be true too.

Take care :)

Ok seriously freaked out, same due date and I go to Cappagh for my walks! so you may know the Carrs (gp's) in Kilrush.:)

As I put down in the pregnancy forum, I am on my way to Dub today, bus to Ennis and trains from there, because my gp diagnosed me with the classic signs of pre eclampsia (except for the high bp) so I am to run away from the MIL to keep it down, I have the hospital monday so I may have to be kept in:( not a big fan of staying in hospital. I really wish I could afford a elective c section, I rather the scar than tearing, I tear because of tampons so this is going to be a b!tch!

I don't know the Carrs but I'm sure I have family in Kilkee who do! Tiny little world. Have you mentioned that you want a section to them as they aren't unreasonable, you just have to put up a good case. If you have trouble with tampons, they should be told cause serious damage can be done during natural delivery and you would be at higher risk. Thus a good reason including your pre-eclampsia symptoms for an elective. Are you public or private?

• Advertisement

Just don't ask them for a section when you're actually in labour and puffing the gas and air :o (like I did...)

Advertisement