Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety Razors

Options
  • 27-12-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't have a beard or hat, can I still post a question?!

I was reading this thread about razor prices and some helpful chappie mentioned good proper safety razors like Merkurs.

180px-Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

Does anyone here use one of these? I use the 3/4 blade razors and am fed up with paying the exorbitant costs of them and am wondering if I should invest in a proper razor like this. Is it a scratchy shave with one of these things? Do you need to change the blade every day or so? How good is the shave compared to a 3/4 blade Gillette type thing?

ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Haven't used one but I'd say it might be good. It's closer to a cut-throat razor in it's design.

Personally I prefer less blades. I still use a Gillette Sensor Excel (2 blades) and it does a great job. I've tried all the other 3, 4 and 5 blade ones and found them useless as they just get clogged constantly during shaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

lads , the Thier Issard straight blade made from carbon steel , google it, one blade for life, also excellent for your skin and the envirobleedinment aslo no waste or replacement parts ever requirment,
    bomus plus women love men to use them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've been looking at safety razors myself lately.

Gordon, check out http://connaughtshaving.com/ - They seem to have a fairly good range, and are fairly well reccommended across any other forums I've stumbled upon.

The Euro's strength at the moment makes it all the more practical. Blades are very very cheap, but you're going to have to get a decent brush too. Looks like the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gordon wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't have a beard or hat, can I still post a question?!

I was reading this thread about razor prices and some helpful chappie mentioned good proper safety razors like Merkurs.

180px-Merkur_heavy_duty_safety_razor.jpg

Does anyone here use one of these? I use the 3/4 blade razors and am fed up with paying the exorbitant costs of them and am wondering if I should invest in a proper razor like this. Is it a scratchy shave with one of these things? Do you need to change the blade every day or so? How good is the shave compared to a 3/4 blade Gillette type thing?

ta

I just got a late christmas present of a merkur with a sample pack of various brands of razors that's big enough to start an emo holocaust. Given that I'm a martyr to razor burn I'll let ye know how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've been using a Merkur for the last year or so and I'll never return to a multi bladed system, although my first ever shave was with a double edged Wilkinsion. The shaves are much closer and enjoyable and of course the replacement blades are a hell of a lot cheaper.
    Give yourself time to get used to them though as there is a learning curve associated with them but after a while you'll be flying with nary a scratch on your face. The shave, when you're used to it, is very smoth and in my experience the blades last longer than the other expensive rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

DE Safety Razors beat everything else I've tried hands down, although I've not yet tried a cut throat and never will too chicken. There is a learning curve and you should take care when getting started. The idea behind these razors is hair reduction so a number of passes is required. For me I find two passes with the grain and one across sufficient, I generally don't bother going against the grain. My only problem is that I find it takes longer to shave, but it might just be the case that I am being too careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

ta

Yes, every day :) Depending on the blade and how tough your beard is you'll get 5 to 10 shaves from a single blade. I'd recommend the Merkur Progress as a great razor to start with. Also, get a sample pack of blades and a brush and some soap or real shaving cream.

The shave is much better that with a multiblade razor, but there is a bit of a learning curve. No scratching or ingrown hairs. Check out mantic59 on YouTube for a tutorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think I will, thanks everyone. I bought a really cheap one from Boots the other day and the shave seems closer but of course the first time I shaved I cut the f*ck out of my face! I'm going to invest in a proper one with a range of blades and nice shaving foam.

I used to use the shaving oil a few years ago which was quite nice, would anyone recommend using that with the safety razors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

zen15 wrote: »
    lads , the Thier Issard straight blade made from carbon steel , google it, one blade for life, also excellent for your skin and the envirobleedinment aslo no waste or replacement parts ever requirment,
    bomus plus women love men to use them

I prefer a stainless steel Dovo myself but if you know how to use it you can't get a better shave than a cutthroat and as has been mentioned already, they last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Just to ad to this-I've taken the plunge and bought myself a Merkur Progress
    http://www.shaving-shack.com/shop/product.php?productid=2670&cat=142&page=3
    From here and once you spend over 9.99 you get another 30 DE blades with it.
    In total I was charged 37 euro for it delivered!! Awaiting delivery now, so fingers crossed!!
    I decided to invest in the Progress because it is one of a few of the Merkurs that you can adjust. I've read previous reviews on people who start back with the DE shaving, and most seem to keep their original razor-so i thought it'd be best to invest now!!
    Got to go out and find some proper shaving cream-really can't wait to get back to the enjoyment of shaving.
    Im only 22 but enjoy it-specially when you can devote some time to it!
    I'll report back as soon as it arrives

• Advertisement

Just to ad to this-I've taken the plunge and bought myself a Merkur Progress

The Progress is a great razor and one I'd also recommend. If you are in to Method Shaving then then this is the razor to own.

I think I will, thanks everyone. I bought a really cheap one from Boots the other day and the shave seems closer but of course the first time I shaved I cut the f*ck out of my face! I'm going to invest in a proper one with a range of blades and nice shaving foam.

I used to use the shaving oil a few years ago which was quite nice, would anyone recommend using that with the safety razors?

Go for the Merkur Progress. Shaving oil is OK but can clog the razor up. A badger hair brush and some quality shaving cream or soap is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Just sent off my order to Connaught. No brushes, but I should be able to pick one up locally.

noby wrote: »
    Just sent off my order to Connaught. No brushes, but I should be able to pick one up locally.

Try this guy www.irishbarber.com

Ouch - they look a bit pricey there. I have one knocking about at home somewhere, or I'll get one in town.

There's one there for €25 or so, not a bad price.

I guess I saw all the high end ones first.
    Still it was only around a tenner from the UK site.

you coud try www.4men.ie too-they have a starter one for 15e including a stand (which is key to getting the most out of your brushes)

I received my Merkur progress early yesterday morning!! It is a lovely bit of kit,with a really nice solid feel to it. This was my first shave with a DE razor, and i have to say i loved it!! It didn't take much longer than with a Mach 3-but it was significantly closer shave. With the progress you can adjust it on a scale from 0-5. I had it on 2.5 and it was a scary close shave!! Im going to go lower bit by bit!!
    I did nick myself once under my kneck-but that was due to me rushing it a bit, thinking i had the hang of it!!
    I was using shave gel-which wasn't my ideal choice but I was impatient and wanted to use the razor there and then and not wait for proper cremes!!
    All in all....im in love with it!!
    It cuts the hairs as opposed to ripping them out-which is what always happened with my mach 3;s!

y
    It cuts the hairs as opposed to ripping them out-which is what always happened with my mach 3;s!

That's the single biggest problem with multiblade cartridges (apart from the price) - it's called hysterisis.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

for anyone using the shaving-shack.com get 10% discount with code SC10E

• Advertisement

That was prompt. Ordered on Thursday - arrived yesterday.
    I went for the Parker, as their unique butterfly action seemed intriguing (and it was more in my budget). I also got some pre-shave soap, shaving soap and some blades. Oh and some cut healing gel, which came in handy. A couple of nicks, but not bad for a first try.
    It takes a little more time, but I loved the whole ritual, and the end result.

Noby-I know the feeling!! It really is nice to take some time and enjoy the whole experience! I tried it once before i got myself a shaving brush-and it was completly different to when I got the brush!! The brush made alot of difference,it made the hair stand up more and softened it up nicely!!
    Think i might go and have another shave now!
    Wait til you see how long the blades last too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

MediaTank wrote: »
    That's the single biggest problem with multiblade cartridges (apart from the price) - it's called hysterisis.

Some interesting facts mentioned about that here:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/174/are-twin-blade-razors-better-than-single-blade-ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

OK,
    Just dropped over 100 yoyos at connaught shaving, went for the progress and all the other bits, oil,creme, aftershave, even the shaving bowl! Being bored costs a lot of money....
    Anyhoo, anyone out there actually using a cutthroat? how long does it take to master?
    There must be a massive satisfaction element to it.

dbar wrote: »
    OK,
    Just dropped over 100 yoyos at connaught shaving, went for the progress and all the other bits, oil,creme, aftershave, even the shaving bowl! Being bored costs a lot of money....
    Anyhoo, anyone out there actually using a cutthroat? how long does it take to master?
    There must be a massive satisfaction element to it.

Nice. A straight razor is next on my list. And yes it does take a long time to master. Check out badgerandblade.com for advice.

MT

Amalgam wrote: »

Yes, mantic59 explains it in one of his videos too.

My first shave with a safety razor. I used a Merkur Futur adjusted to 1.5 and Sanex Dermo Active Shaving Gel. I used a 'Trig' (Pakistan) Silver Edge blade.

The Sanex gel works up into a very gloopy and wet\moist lather. Two passes with the grain. I had four small specks of blood on the neck where I went against the grain, I slipped back into plastic habits.. a long stroke upwards, under my right ear, not wise.

First thing you notice is the sound, a very crisp, ' kritt-kritt ' as you're working, along with next to no sensation of the blade on your skin, very eerie, I found that the most unsettling.

Cheated a little, found it hard to shape the sideburns, dug out a bic to trim the bottom of them.

The area I thought would be the worst, around the mouth, I found to be fine, right down to the stubble at the side of the mouth. I had some trouble directly under the chin and I was a bit fussy about the dimple.

I dabbed away and worked my way along carefully.

The Futur, and I guess most of the other Merkur razors, pick up and store heat from the water quickly, a nice surprise coming from plastic, I found that quite soothing.

---

The safety razor is very unforgiving if there's a lack of water\lubricant. I have a bit of razor burn directly under the nose, I went over where it had dried to catch some stubble, not bothering to slap some lather on it.

Exfoliates better than a plastic razor. No skin fuzz after.

No time spent 'tapping' to dislodge muck from the blades. There's a lot of space under the blade and a quick pass through the water clears everything.

Overall delighted with results, I always had a 'grain' on my jawline with plastic, not with the safety, velvet smooth. Your hand is passive, it guides, but you're using the weight of the razor in your favour. There's no need to 'dig in' like plastic. You need to keep things warm and wet and lathered to survive.

I'm a convert. Didn't take much longer than plastic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Amalgam, thanks for the post, think I'll post up my experience once I shave with mine

A question I meant to ask, will Customs\'Airport Security' confiscate a safety razor in these post you-know-what-event years?

..and if they do notice your exotic shaving gear, will they leave the razor and just confiscate blades?

I've never travelled with a safety and dread losing it all.

• Advertisement

Not allowed in carry-on luggage.

Taken from Dublin Airport website:
    The list below details items that must not be packed in your carry-on luggage. They must be placed in your check-in baggage.

...Razor blades (razors that have the blade set into a plastic moulding are allowed, but razors that can be opened and the razor blade removed are prohibited)

Advertisement