Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killaloe bypass, Shannon crossing & R494 Birdhill-Killaloe

• 29-07-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Interesting piece in today's IT:
    PLANS FOR a €41 million bridge and bypass of Killaloe have received a major boost.

This follows Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar giving the go-ahead to Clare County Council to publish statutory orders seeking approval from An Bord Pleanála for the two projects – the Shannon bridge crossing and Killaloe bypass.

For many years, there have been traffic snarl ups on the 18th-century bridge that connects Killaloe and Ballina on the Shannon.

Only 4.8 metres in width in places (Dublin’s Ha’penny Bridge is 3.8 metres wide), the 13-arch bridge is the main crossing point on the Shannon between the Co Galway town of Portumna and Limerick city.

Built to accommodate the horse and cart, the bridge is now being used by commercial traffic as a way of accessing Dublin or the west coast without having to go through Limerick.

The Clare and north Tipperary councils have installed traffic lights to regulate traffic on the bridge. The new bridge is planned for one kilometre downstream of Killaloe.

The estimated cost of the project is €41 million and can be split into three phases. They are the Killaloe bypass (€11.93 million), the Shannon bridge crossing (€12 million) and the works on the regional R494 road (€16.6 million). The protected status of the Killaloe bridge has ruled out any upgrading works as they would be contrary to the development plans for Clare and North Tipperary.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0729/1224301563953.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I have used that route in a commercial to avoid Limerick but surely noone would do so now with the tunnel open. Having said that, Killaloe is a gem and to lessen the traffic passing through a place with such tourist potential can only be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

He's only giving approval for them to go ahead with the planning process though right? In which case the thing can be long fingered for several years especially if a 10 year PP is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

badly needed. a very serious bottleneck. now hope that the pencil pushers in an bord pleanala get the finger out.;)
    €41 million, small cash when you think of what Seanie Fitz stole....

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

I think we'll probably see a lot more of these small little projects over the next few years.

Its not the ideal way to improve the road network but I suppose if we get a few more bottlenecks out of the system then it can only be a good thing. Hope any of these projects on major route will have some sort of future proofing built in so that they can be included in futher upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

washman3 wrote: »
    €41 million, small cash when you think of what Seanie Fitz stole....

...or the e-voting machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

As someone who lived in Ballina for 5 years or so, This is more than needed. I can't count the amount of times I've been stuck in tail backs as far back as Larkins Garage, trying to get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes that bridge is impossible, and impassible for that matter, at times. the traffic backs up on to the bridge at times usually due to someones selfishness or light jumpers, meaning noone can move. Frustrating in the extreme

• Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

and don't forget the large number of people that don't seem to understand there is a roundabout on the ballina side.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Sorry to resurrect a thread that's nearly two years old, but that (we'll be polite) gobdaw Sweetman is at it again, complaining about a few swans and otters, and that sort of thing.

It is right and proper that people are able to hold the state to account (especially given the incompetence of successive Governments, FF led ones in particular), but seriously, one man has WAY too much influence in trying to stop every God damn road being built:mad:!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/permission-for-killaloe-bypass-challenged-1.1392205

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Sorry to resurrect a thread that's nearly two years old, but that (we'll be polite) gobdaw Sweetman is at it again, complaining about a few swans and otters, and that sort of thing.

It is right and proper that people are able to hold the state to account (especially given the incompetence of successive Governments, FF led ones in particular), but seriously, one man has WAY too much influence in trying to stop every God damn road being built:mad:!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/permission-for-killaloe-bypass-challenged-1.1392205

Our constitution is dysfunctional in so many ways... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gobdaw
    Insults not welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Started thread on this in Clare forum. Was shut down after mention of libel possibility so I won't make any comment on the individual who has lodged the objection. I totally echo your point that one man should not have such influence when such numbers of people are inconvenienced by the present infrastructure, and if that is libelous, I'll happily dust down the good suit and let my boss know I need a day off for court.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭source

topper75 wrote: »
    Started thread on this in Clare forum. Was shut down after mention of libel possibility so I won't make any comment on the individual who has lodged the objection. I totally echo your point that one man should not have such influence when such numbers of people are inconvenienced by the present infrastructure, and if that is libelous, I'll happily dust down the good suit and let my boss know I need a day off for court.

The biggest issue is safety, the current bridge cannot handle the volumes of vehicles or pedestrians using it.

Serial objectors like this just need to go away, are we really going to put a few animals who are not exactly unique to the area ahead of the safety of the people that live there?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What I'd like to know is where he gets his funding from to bring these cases to the High Court. Can't be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

source wrote: »
    ...a few animals who are not exactly unique to the area ahead of the safety of the people that live there?

What I don't get is that all of the threats, along with mitigating factors and precautions to address them, are dealt with in the impact statement. Anyone who is interested can look at this PDF on the Clare Co. Co. website.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/publications/killaloe-bypass-shannon-bridge-crossing-and-r494-improvement-natura-impact-statement-11299.pdf
    Alun wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is where he gets his funding from to bring these cases to the High Court. Can't be cheap.

Can't be cheap, but I think he does legal work himself and has powerful legal friends who may do it pro bono. If the cause were more virtuous, he would be heroic. You can read more about him in this interview he gave himself -
    http://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/paperstoday/index.php?action=view&id=15293

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any word on this project ever happening?

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2015/minister-donohoe-confirms-€10bn-investment-our-transport-future

A number of other schemes, also targeting bottlenecks in the road network, will be progressed subject to planning. Examples here include the Shannon Crossing Bridge at Killaloe, Galway By-Pass, Mallow Relief Road, Adare By-Pass, Slane By-Pass, N28 Cork to Ringaskiddy road, N69 Shannon to Foynes road, Athy Southern Distributor Road, Portlaoise Southern Distributor Road, Phase 4 of Dingle Relief road and Laytown to Bettystown Link road.

First mention I have heard of this scheme in a long time.

There was supposed to be a judicial review of this projects planning permission last October. I can't find any results anywhere. Anyone have info on it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Deedsie wrote: »
    Finally :-)

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/environmentalist-fails-in-high-court-challenge-over-killaloe-bypass-34685377.html

AN environmentalist has failed in a High Court challenge to a decision to grant permission for a 2km bypass around Killaloe in Co Clare.

Excellent. I see the objectors were from North West Galway and Co. Mayo. It really annoys me that people who live nowhere near these schemes put their own opinions above the daily lives of the people living locally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sooner Sweetman gets Wundered the better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross wrote:
    The improvement and maintenance of regional and local roads is the statutory responsibility of each local authority, in accordance with the provisions of Section 13 of the Roads Act 1993. Works on those roads are funded from local authorities' own resources supplemented by State road grants. The initial selection and prioritisation of works to be funded is also a matter for the local authority.

The Shannon Bridge Crossing at Killaloe is one of a number of schemes included in the Capital Plan 2016-2021 designed to address bottlenecks on the road network. ​The bridge is the 1st phase of the Killaloe Bypass/R494 upgrade scheme. In planning the construction schedule for individual projects included in the Plan, account has to be taken of the annual budgets in the Capital Plan and the need to phase projects to manage the available budgets.

Following the conclusion of the judicial review relating to the Killaloe Bypass/R494 scheme, it is now a matter for the local authority (Clare County Council) to progress the scheme, including agreeing the project cost and timeline with my Department.

Nothing really new.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross wrote:
    Following the conclusion of the judicial review relating to the Shannon crossing/Killaloe Bypass/R494 scheme, it is now a matter for the local authority (Clare County Council) to progress the scheme. Clare County Council has been provided with an allocation of €500,000 in 2017.

While a construction timetable has not been decided as yet, my Department will be liaising with Clare County Council in relation to the timing of the construction phases for the Shannon Crossing Section (Phase 1) and the Killaloe Bypass/R494 sections (Phase 2) of the overall scheme.

Latest on this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    Latest on this scheme.

Hardly happen for years- where would the Co Councils get the funding?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

road_high wrote: »
    Hardly happen for years- where would the Co Councils get the funding?

Clare CC will build it, but it will be funded by the exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭pajoguy

CPO negotiations should be finalised soon id imagine. Think they started 12 months ago or maybe a bit less. It has been costed at 41 million. Not an insignificant sum of money but would ge a huge benefit to east clare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

White smoke.
    Shane Ross wrote:
    The Shannon Bridge Crossing at Killaloe is one element of the overall Shannon Crossing/Killaloe Bypass/R494 upgrade scheme. Following the Capital Plan Review, it is the intention that the Shannon crossing will progress together with the Killaloe bypass and R494 Upgrade as a single scheme. Clare County Council is responsible for implementation of the scheme, including the construction programme.

I understand that Clare County Council is in the process of appointing engineering consultants to carry out detailed design and progress the appointment of a contractor. While the programme is dependent on Clare County Council, it is likely a contractor could be appointed and construction commence in 2019. While the sequencing of the works is a matter for Clare County Council, the Shannon crossing element is likely to take approximately 18 months to construct with the full project taking approximately 36 months from the start of construction thereby giving a projected completion date in 2022. While the scheme will be subject to competitive tendering the overall budget is in the region of €49 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Why is €49 million being spent on a regional road in rural Clare when other more important schemes are crying out for funding?

Advertisement