Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pronunciations that drive you mad

• 09-05-2012 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

One girl I know says "pellow" instead of "pillow". I am pedantic enough that this really bugs me.

She also says "on-velope" for "envelope".

Any other pronunications that annoy you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

"Arr-T-É," "podato," and, even though it's fairly common here, "th" pronounced as "t."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Defin-eye-tly and when people pronounce a G in tremendous.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Gee. Damn yanks can't say it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Dead Kennedys

Gaaaaarrrrrdeee....The RTE pronunciation of Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,126 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Eggs-presso
    teeesue (tissue)
    eeesssue (issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Gaaaaarrrrrdeee....The RTE pronunciation of Gardai.

The correct way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Yisterday I heard a fellow say tomorra is Wehendsday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

When vehicle is pronounced Feh-heh-kill :(

Usually done on Crimecall or Crimewatch or whatever the hell its called these days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Lis-bon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I axed him a question. Drives me nuts. You're not in the ghetto or Harlem ffs.

Or sangwich. Though this doesn't quite drive me nuts.. Just yet

Or I folleed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Eck setera.

Anything with a 'th' by Ian Guider.

Window Still

Chimley

Scaff

Damp squid (by Bertie Ahern)

I'll tink of more anon...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Many of the examples so far just sound like Hiberno English to me and that's cool. The pronunciations that would grind my gears are those that the user thinks makes them sound "posh". Riiindabite for roundabout, adding aitches where they don't exist out of a fear of dropping them where they do. HeightH a good example, throatH instead of throat another. TBH I'd rather hear someone say tirty tree and a tird than those examples.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Supernanny: "asseptable" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

A woman I work with describes herself as "volumptuous" and she also pronounces pyjamas as "perr-jarr-merrs".

This bothers me immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭earlyevening

thongue for tongue. (+invariably misspelt tounge or something like it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Gord as in: "Gords.. Gords protect them!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yea. The Gore Thee. It's an Irish word ffs!

Pacific
    Expresso
    Ek Cetera

Everyone says amount of people and less people whereas it should be number of people and fewer people.

It doesn't annoy me when general peons speak like this because many of them don't know any better, but I would expect broadcasters on our national media to be able to speak properly, and many of them can't. Some of them even have atrocious speech impediments like the one with the lithshp on R1 who reads out whash itsh shayshs in the papersh.

There are a great number of smart people who can speak out of work now. Why not give them a shot?

Pisses me off it does!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Tissss- ooooohs when saying Tissues:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

People saying "en-velope" (rhyming with "pen") instead of the correct "on-velope". It's a French word, like "entourage" or "ensemble".

Plus: there is no "x" in "Espresso" (coffee).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sky King wrote: »
    Expresso
    bnt wrote: »
    Plus: there is no "x" in "Espresso" (coffee).
    Snap!

Another one is a "h" on the end of "height", so it becomes "heighth". Does not compute. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thighland really bugs me.

And I have a friend that doesn't say fab-uuuuuu-lous, she says fab-a-lus. Really irritiating for some reason.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Roish, and D4 accents in general.

Also, those stupid ****ing man-bags and scarfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

People who don't know the difference between 'then' and 'than' and just pronounce them the same when they are speaking.

'its better then buying it in the shop'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Million is not Millen

The A to Z is not Ah to Zed

If you want to be specific, please do so but don't be Pacific

If there is an obstacle in your way, calling it an oxtable will not help

Off course I've often mispronounced things myself. Only recently when trying to ask my ex-girlfriend "Would you like to go out for dinner tonight dear?", I mispronounced it to sound like "You've ruined my life you manipulative bítch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

People who don't know the difference between 'then' and 'than' and just pronounce them the same when they are speaking.

'its better then buying it in the shop'

This one really annoys me, moreso when its written than anything because I dont really notice it much when its spoken. How in the name of christ do people not know the difference between these? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

My old boss could not pronounce secretary and instead pronounced it sec-ertary!! Did my head in.

Also people who are trying to be "pacific" about something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the kiwis pronounce mullet as mouleé :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

ash-hume instead of assume :(

• Advertisement

Apperantly.

Advertisement