Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Android 4.0 Tablet (7" Capacitive, Wi-Fi, 1GHz) = €92

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

My aurora just arrived from Gadgetfreaks - and all i can say is WOW!
    Its my first android anything but they've loaded a whole pile of apps on it already including android market, facebook, angry birds, sky news, twitter etc and a load of games. (Just as well as the ainol instruction manual is all chinese to me!)
    Haven't had much time to play with it but the graphics/screen look amazing.
    Great customer service from gadgetfreakz as well.

Just hoping to find a quiet hour or two later on to have a real play.

And thanks to all those who contributed to this thread- this has been a great thread for an ainol virgin! :D
    sw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

cunstunt wrote: »
    Its my first android anything but they've loaded a whole pile of apps on it already including android market, facebook, angry birds, sky news, twitter etc and a load of games. (Just as well as the ainol instruction manual is all chinese to me!)

And thanks to all those who contributed to this thread- this has been a great thread for an ainol virgin! :D
    sw

good to hear... how long did it take to delivery?....are gadgetfreakz based in china?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

sw

Glad to hear it cunstunt, I'm still waiting for the PandaWont Delivery.. my 1-3 days promise from last thursday changed today to 1-2 weeks.. I hope its freaking worth it! Keep us informed of any issues you have or updates you find for it :) Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

jobless wrote: »
    good to hear... how long did it take to delivery?....are gadgetfreakz based in china?

GadgetFreakz are a UK company, however they get their stock from China obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭enviro

In London afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭enviro

Ha yeah like 99% of manufacturers nowadays.

I think ill commit to one of these as well... a couple more positive reviews and I'll have no reason not to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

My order from Amazon is on it's way from China. Getting it delivered to the UK and hopefully I'll be picking it up in a week or so.

Some worries about the build quality though. Here's hoping everything is in order.

looks like gadgetfreaks is sold out at the moment...bugger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

More stock in 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭srvhead

sw

Pad virgin meself :) but the aurora seems to be the best specced at that price point. I'll order one when they restock! My 12 year old needs an pad for 1st year secondaryschool for ebooks etc. At least if this falls out of his bag its a lot cheaper to replace than the ipad!! Cheers for the feedback cunstunt! Did you get a case or stand with it? What was final price in euros, did you get 8 or 16gb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭cunstunt

srvhead wrote: »
    Pad virgin meself :) but the aurora seems to be the best specced at that price point. I'll order one when they restock! My 12 year old needs an pad for 1st year secondaryschool for ebooks etc. At least if this falls out of his bag its a lot cheaper to replace than the ipad!! Cheers for the feedback cunstunt! Did you get a case or stand with it? What was final price in euros, did you get 8 or 16gb?

Hi srvhead,
    i bought a cover with it, but gadgetfreakz threw in a case/stand, a touchscreen pen and a car charger as they had been delayed. They also offered me an upgrade to the 16GB one for £14 which i went for, so all in including trackable delivery, the aurora cost me just uner €200.
    Had a little play last night (tweeted, kindled and gmailed) and everything worked well and looked great.

Roll on the weekend! :)
    sw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

FYI - seems to be postal delays in china at the moment. have ordered a few things off e-bay recently [including a novo advanced 2] and have got this reply in various forms from the sellers. this is the one that was in the best english...

Because China post didnt accept packages before China new year, they want to change price, so all sellers have to use HK post,then HK post cannt deal with all packages in time!

http://www.hongkongpost.com/eng/publications/notices/2012/20120223a/index.htm

China post begun to accept package 1-2 weeks ago, but they have to do many work after changing price,so they also cannt deal with the package in time!
    Sorry my poor English,wish you can understand!
    thanks!

the note on the hong kong post website linked to above is dated the 22nd of feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Still waiting, a month and four days.. (Pandawill) :o

To be honest, had I known OS 2.0 for the Playbook was coming out so soon, I would have gladly purchased a Playbook instead, oh well.

Colonel Zap finally got his Aurora.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Still waiting, a month and four days.. (Pandawill) :o

To be honest, had I known OS 2.0 for the Playbook was coming out so soon, I would have gladly purchased a Playbook instead, oh well.

Colonel Zap finally got his Aurora.

And he got the white one I've been waiting for too.. Waiting since 23-jan...
    2-3 more weeks the Panda said today... useless. But........ I'll "Never Give Up, Never Surrender!"

looks like gadgetfreaks is sold out at the moment...bugger :)

These Guys have stock, get more every 2-3 days, ship after 2 days via DHL, marked as Digital Photo Frame, Value $40 for customs.
    Really helpful sales ppl on Chat confirming stock etc...

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/526985242-Ainol-NOVO7-Aurora-with-1GB-DDR-8GB-HDD-Tablet-PC-wholesalers.html

Will update once order ships etc, if anyone is interested...

Screw the Panda!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice one Paddy...

I paid for the Aurora on Pandawill a month ago and just got a refund last week. Now that I just got paid, I'm thinking of putting a bit of extra cash into the Cube U9GT2 (a 9.7 inch 1.2 GHz tablet with 1gb memory, 16gb on board, SD card support and ICS). Lots of videos on youtube if you want to see it running (including a few by Colonel Zap from the clips above).

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/526913766-Cube-U9GT2-9-7-android-4-0-IPS-16GB-1GB-DDR3-dual-cameras-tablet-PC-wholesalers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I would be a bit wary of what they tell you on live chat regarding stock availability etc., chinese sellers tend to be 'economical with the truth' when it comes to this sort of thing

a fair bit of negative feedback in the last while also.

8 negative in the last month ??!!

There are apparently some decent sellers on aliexpress but I would be extra careful.

Mr E wrote: »
    Nice one Paddy...

I paid for the Aurora on Pandawill a month ago and just got a refund last week. Now that I just got paid, I'm thinking of putting a bit of extra cash into the Cube U9GT2 (a 9.7 inch 1.2 GHz tablet with 1gb memory, 16gb on board, SD card support and ICS). Lots of videos on youtube if you want to see it running (including a few by Colonel Zap from the clips above).

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/526913766-Cube-U9GT2-9-7-android-4-0-IPS-16GB-1GB-DDR3-dual-cameras-tablet-PC-wholesalers.html

Seen that you were one of us Pandawont people Mr E, that looks like a decent one your thinking of getting. I just like the 7" form factor, got my sis a Lenovo A1 for xmas and its so handy at that size. Not a fan of the IPad size tbh.

Pandawill sales guys are a joke on chat, but site was recommended by a guy on slatedroid that got his within a week. Am gonna cancel the order after 1 week if it does not ship, I dont mind a weeks wait, but not falling into the Panda style trap again. Thanks for the headsup though about the Negative feedback. Seen lots of positive feedback for that store on the site, so risking it..

Paddy_man wrote: »
    Pandawill sales guys are a joke on chat, but site was recommended by a guy on slatedroid that got his within a week.

Unfortunately there are a lot of shills operating on forums, saying that one supplier is great and will have the tablet sent out to you before you even order it etc. so you have to take a lot of the posts with a pinch of salt.

I try to look at the posters other posts to see if they constantly post the same sort of stuff about a particular supplier (or the same supplier operating under different names *Chinagrabber/GadgetGreats/IG8 are all the one operation and have another few names they trade under also).

The apad.tv forum is just a sham forum set up by Chinagrabber as well so don't believe everything you read on there either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

So did anyone get the Aurora delivered yet? How are ye finding the Ainol experience?:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Just bought the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin off Focalprice for 76 euro after using a discount code. Free shipping. All I want it for is basic browsing, movies and ebooks so should hopefully be good for that. Doesn't have HDMI out or a camera, but I've already got a camera, and a smartphone. Will report back once delivered.

Now to find a case for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Can a 7" tablet be used to do banking on line without a special apt or would screen be too small and messy.

Browser is fine on my Dropad(same size panel) for most sites, wouldnt be a problem I'd say.

Seems like a nice tablet, good for anyone who just wants browsing and movies. There's no real ROM community for them though by the looks of things so droid nerds might wanna look to the HaiPad/Dropad line ups (a little more expensive, but still cheap).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

Proxy be prepared to wait! Ordered mine on 30/01/2012 from Focalprice and received reply to shipping enquiry that should get it before 17th March. Obviously some Chinese Irish joke!

Memo to self: Never order anything from a chinese website a month before or after Chinese New Year. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

ephelan24 wrote: »
    Proxy be prepared to wait! Ordered mine on 30/01/2012 from Focalprice and received reply to shipping enquiry that should get it before 17th March. Obviously some Chinese Irish joke!
    Says its been shipped as off earlier this morning. I'm in no rush anyway.

These Guys have stock, get more every 2-3 days, ship after 2 days via DHL, marked as Digital Photo Frame, Value $40 for customs.
    Really helpful sales ppl on Chat confirming stock etc...

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/526985242-Ainol-NOVO7-Aurora-with-1GB-DDR-8GB-HDD-Tablet-PC-wholesalers.html

Will update once order ships etc, if anyone is interested...

Screw the Panda!!!! :D

keep us updated....i really want one of these but not sure i want to gamble on a Chinese seller! :)... how long until they said it would be delivered?

Thanks for the headsup though about the Negative feedback. Seen lots of positive feedback for that store on the site, so risking it..

Also just bear in mind, that even though they might put a low value for customs purposes, that does not mean that you won't get charged the full rate. Customs are well up on this nowadays and ( I would think ) you are more likely to be charged the full rate.

Best thing to do is be prepared to pay it and build that into your total price, and if you don't get hit with customs charges, consider it an extra bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eamonnq wrote: »
    Also just bear in mind, that even though they might put a low value for customs purposes, that does not mean that you won't get charged the full rate. Customs are well up on this nowadays and ( I would think ) you are more likely to be charged the full rate.

Best thing to do is be prepared to pay it and build that into your total price, and if you don't get hit with customs charges, consider it an extra bonus.

They are. When I got my tablet in they held it pending me sending them an invoice(by email). Paypal receipt did the trick.

Any other reliable tablet sellers? Ali Express is rejecting my card for some reason (their loss). :)

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Any other reliable tablet sellers? Ali Express is rejecting my card for some reason (their loss). :)

It might be your loss !!

http://scam.com/showthread.php?t=138767

I would not be inclined to use my credit card directly on Aliexpress, and it hopefully is perfectly safe to do so, I would be more inclined though to use moneybookers or some payment method like that.

Advertisement