Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

• 09-03-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Well why else have this forum is we cant look at each others watches!

here are my current 2.

Tag Carrera Cv2010 everyday watch and my engagement present from my fiancee, an iwc portuguese chrono.

The tag will be going soon, to make way for maybe another iwc, i also have a tag aquaracer en route as a 'beater'

21022009026.jpg

21022009029.jpg

21022009041.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ohhhh me likey.. Especially the IWC.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was going to suggest no posts without pics, but I reckon we see where we go with this. No point being heavyhanded.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ok here's a few of mine. I've tended to go the vintage route.

zenlon.jpg

From the left; Stocker and Yale US army military issue hi beat mechanical movement, nylon case and strap, very robust. Zenith "aviator" pilots wristwatch from 1936, with large crown for winding with gloves, very nice movement(breguet mainspring, fine regulation and unreal timekeeper), unusual for the time in having a center seconds hand. Longines early wristlet wrist watch silver cased from 1916 on replica period strap, again a very good timekeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

3343298802_e10dd80b28.jpg

What can I say, decidedly average stuff but I've always had a thing for Seiko's. I'm somewhat lucky I guess in that this is pretty much my dream watch....... for the moment. Perhaps some day I'll have an old Grand Seiko.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3343298802/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bedlam wrote: »
    I'm detecting a bit of a theme here... ;)

eh :o

If its a tag theme (geddit) itll be ended soon as the carrera is off shortly, not sure what will replace it yet, maybe an omega PO, submariner no date or a iwc flieger of some description :)

i bought the aqua racer because i got it for a cracking price (its 2 weeks old and less than half rrp) and i have no watch for general hacking around.

Im half afraid wearing the portuguese, the first ding will hurt :pac:

• Advertisement

What can I say, decidedly average stuff but I've always had a thing for Seiko's. I'm somewhat lucky I guess in that this is pretty much my dream watch....... for the moment. Perhaps some day I'll have an old Grand Seiko.

have been looking at the mm300 and 600s lately, seiko make some beautiful pieces

also take a look at this beauty

f2.jpg

Chronos

ah i get you now, i do like a chrono, very handy on the rare occasion i cook

the aquaracer is a non chrono

this is the lad, should be here today

DSC04362.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Have this one..

v214

gets most people due to the movement. Also have 2 oversized fossil ones and a real nice Tissot, all of them are metal straps.

Looking for an Invicta like this one on my through duty free some day

3474.jpg

Bit dressier

Like the second one. Reminds me of a diving watch with the crown. easy to read too. I always preferred the white on black writing(though the IWC of Cyrus' is sweet and would defo tempt me;):)). Nice strap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

3174971393_6af4539edd.jpg

3171796104_dea4972e9d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Just got this delivered today. Always wanted one since I was a kid but couldn't afford it. Not too pricey either at $6 ;)

picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=2550

6 quid!:eek: result:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Also have

These from Fossil

CH2446_main?$fossil_pdpdetail$ and this one with a metal strap JR9121_main?$fossil_pdpdetail$

Also a Tissot which i cant find online

Few more of mine;

mylongines2.jpg
    Two longines dress watches. One on the left from 1948. Knotted lugs 4 piece case in 14kt gold. On the right from 1955, again 14kt gold case. I used to aim for Longines as they were(and still are undervalued) in the vintage market(the one on the right cost me 150 punts 10 years ago). Cool for buyers. They have more history than a helluva lot of the big name brands today. More aeronautical history than Brietling could dream of for a start. Some serious innovations movement wise too. Their earlier chrono movements are legendary. Pity they've fallen from favour or that the present owners of the brand, dont seem to know how to push them.

Marathon military spec and issued navigators watch.
    ww194001l.jpg
    Hack setting, with radioactive tritium vial luminous for all night viewing(doesn't need to be exposed to light to charge). Mine is the version with the date at the 4 O clock position. My beater watch and just about the only quartz that hasn't died on me in short order. I've had G shocks die on my wrist in a month :confused: Actually one of the reasons I got into collecting the old ticking stuff in the 80's, as the new ticking stuff was mad money. Of course now a lot of the old mechanical stuff is climbing in value.

four demicircular(?) pieces. I've seen others from LeCoultre, but they were one piece and so were the Longines/witnauer ones I've also seen.

I gather that knotted lug design was quite popular at the time. Longines seems to have kicked it off(they had stages of really different and radical case design) and others chimed in.

Heres a bulova
    bulova4180_big.jpg

Benrus
    benrus_knotted_lug_calendar.jpg

Weird Longines stuff from the 40/50's. When they got to the 60/70's they went even madder.:)
    longines_fancy-lug_vintage_watch.jpg
    738067.JPG
    rm95_a.jpg
    370.JPG

Well if you're looking for weird lug design the Zenith in the previous page is defo a mad one. :D It looks almost Victorian as a watch. Defo my fave of all the watches that have gone through my care over the years. Very accurate, surprisingly wearable, surprisingly robust and the history behind it is damned cool to boot.

zenith1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

mine

607D2FC2F6F542FE8DB9BB5EE4399088-800.jpg

Great concept the G-Shock. Big collectors market too.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭piaget

255422508.jpg

28_zenith.jpg

Attached are current pieces, not my pics but you have the idea, used to have only vintage but found them too small, might look for a Stowa soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have
    N1929G_lrg.jpg

and want an Magnus Automatic Watch

• Advertisement

piaget wrote: »
    255422508.jpg

28_zenith.jpg

Attached are current pieces, not my pics but you have the idea, used to have only vintage but found them too small, might look for a Stowa soon.
    Nice omega. Yea the vintage stuff tends towards the small end alright. Not such an issue for me on account of girlywristitis.:o:D The 30/40/50's mens sizes were much smaller than today, even with complications. The trend was to show off skill in miniaturisation and the fashion for big watches was pretty non existent. It was thought of as showing off for some.
    Except for tool watches like original Panerai dive watches and pilots watches(like my zenith above at 43 mm across) where legibility in extreme conditions was a plus.
    Even there the US military stuff was small. Their BUShips dive watch
    elgin_buships_canteen_vintage_dive_watch.jpg
    is small and their weems pilots watch
    longines_weems.jpg
    is damn near microscopic..

Understandable as the cumbersome aspect comes into it. If you walked around back in the day with some of the current monsters people might look at you funny. I gather you can even get bespoke shirtsleeves that allow for the wearing of some of the really big watches today.

That's fashion for you and of course the bigger size allows for more complications and adds to the fashion aspect more as nowadays time is everywhere so watches are largely redundant. The mobile phone is the pocketwatch of today in a lot of ways. It does make for some interesting designs now though, so all in all I like the big stuff and because of my girly wrist the older stuff is cheaper:D

piaget wrote: »
    255422508.jpg

28_zenith.jpg

stowa MO is lovely

thinking of replacing my tag carrera with this one folks

what say you!

80001367_0_S.jpg

I do have a soft spot for IWC stuff. Of the modern stuff I have to say I like their offerings the most, with a few of the smaller makers thrown in.

Hold out for the GO Sports Evolution GMT. It's only a little (for little read double) bit more... or the GO Senator Navigator Chrono to keep you on theme ;]

id be holding on for a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭piaget

Cyrus wrote: »
    stowa MO is lovely

Stowa MO is indeed a beauty, have been on the wait list for over a year for a Stowa Airman Original with swan neck and display back. Hope I can still afford it when it becomes available.

Anybody here own a Stowa (new or old)!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned down a stowa B uhr navigators watch ten years ago. Doh! doesn't come into it, as it was going cheap, though I had the Laco version at the time. Too big. They make a Panerai look like a childs watch.

Looked like this.
    laco_buhr_front.jpg

My mum of all people has a stowa pendant watch from the 70's. Dunno if that counts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.flickr.com/photos/liamandagnieszka/3343298802/

I have one of these myself. Have a major thing for Seiko watches for some unknown reason and virtually ignore every other brank. Will have to post up the other two that I have (lost a Sportura one about 18 months ago too :( )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This is my watch, don't have a picture of the actual thing and this is the largest image I could find.

61X310PM3BL._SL500_AA280_.gif

• Advertisement

Funky crown on that one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement