Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody have an idea which company this is?

• 27-02-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

From the Fas website:

We are currently recruiting Production Operatives for a Medical Device Company in Cork. (ROSSA AVENUE BISHOPSTOWN CORK)

abLoW.jpg

Any idea who this is?

That "Kelly Services" contact is just a recruitment agency.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Isn't there a place out there that makes prosthetic limbs?

/edit: Actually, I think I'm wrong about the location.

I'd say the add is for Boston Scientific.

I'm not aware of any company in Cork who makes prosthetic limbs, Stryker and Depuy make orthopaedic implants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd say the add is for Boston Scientific

Correct. Wording is virtually identical to previous ads.
    http://ie.vacancies24.eu/job/product-builders-manufacturing-medical-device-company-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

Kellys do the recruiting for boston now.

........ so the positions can't be advertised with Fas??

• Advertisement

Of course they can just letting people know you are employed by kellys and not boston themselves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Isn't Stryker part of Boston Scientific now ?
    Or the other way round ?

Stryker have bought the Neurovascular part of Boston Scientific, a fair chunk if not the majority of the Model Farm Rd site.

AFAIK they will be building onto the current site soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Building work has already started from what I can tell. Dumper trucks in and out a lot from there recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya but styker are moving the business onto the new site where work has begun next door, the jobs will transfer over when complete, as far as i know boston are working on getting replacement products ready to create more jobs when the existing ones shift to styker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Stryker have bought the Neurovascular part of Boston Scientific, a fair chunk if not the majority of the Model Farm Rd site.

yeah about 70% of cork's products, but they are bringing in some new ones instead so thats good for cork. more jobs created to replace the staff transferring to stryker hopefully.

the ad is fairly certain to be boston, anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

A medical device company that outsources it's production work to a contract recruitment company and then pays them just above the minimum wage doesn't bode well for the future. Couple that with the low corporate tax structure and the easy mobility of companies like Boston Scientific and you can see why Ireland is now like Costa Rica and other low tech, low cost plastic tubing manufacturing locations.
    No permament work, just contracting in large numbers of manual workers. If I ever end up having neurosurgery, I'm going to insist that my surgeon doesn't bet my life on one of these "medical devices," that's for sure! :)
    And interestingly enough, both Boston Scientific and Stryker have had quality system problems which have led to the FDA taking action during the past few years.

A medical device company that outsources it's production work to a contract recruitment company and then pays them just above the minimum wage doesn't bode well for the future. Couple that with the low corporate tax structure and the easy mobility of companies like Boston Scientific and you can see why Ireland is now like Costa Rica and other low tech, low cost plastic tubing manufacturing locations.
    No permament work, just contracting in large numbers of manual workers. If I ever end up having neurosurgery, I'm going to insist that my surgeon doesn't bet my life on one of these "medical devices," that's for sure! :)
    And interestingly enough, both Boston Scientific and Stryker have had quality system problems which have led to the FDA taking action during the past few years.

I know several people who are now full time staff in Boston having started as agency product builders :)

The majority of the product builders would be full time staff, regardless of them being full time or agency they would all be trained and certified to the required standard. The work isn't outsourced as such, Boston will still interview the folks and hire who they want through Kellys.

The issues that both Boston and Stryker had with the FDA were nothing at all to do with the manufacturing processes or the quality of how the parts were made.

If you ever end up having neurosurgery that requires the likes of a neurovascular coil that's made in Boston Scientific in Model Farm Rd what will you suggest to the surgeon as an alternative procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The issues that both Boston and Stryker had with the FDA were nothing at all to do with the manufacturing processes or the quality of how the parts were made.

Oh sorry. I must have misinterpreted the CEO's public apology:

"A planned process review revealed that two manufacturing process changes were not submitted for FDA approval," said Boston Scientific chief executive Ray Elliott in a statement. "We apologize for the inconvenience these actions will cause patients and physicians."

Indeed ;)
    The issues that resulted in FDA action had nothing to do with those process changes and furthermore they are not neurovascular devices.
    Also none of those products are/were made in the Cork plant.

That press release actually points out that the processes passed validation.

No response on what you'll recommend the surgeon to use instead no ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A couple of people I know worked at Boston Scientific (for it is they who are recruiting). Seems you only get an 11 month contract these days which won't be renewed. Yes, there are permanent staff there, but they have been with the company for years. It would seem Boston/Stryker have been taking on contractors for the past couple of years at least.

It should also be noted that the people taken on by Boston are not Boston employees. They are paid by Kelly.

One of my friends was very keen to stay, and this is what he was told by HR. He had to leave, and unfortunately is still unemployed. The other guy luckily managed to get a permanent job and left when the contract expired.

Advertisement