Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I.T Morning Checks - auto email

• 07-11-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

as part of a morning IT check-list, we check email connectivity by emailing echo@esat.net which replies with a response and various other routing information.

is there any tool out there, that can automatically email [echo@esat.net] - and report back in some format?

we use manage engine as our service desk tool, but i cant seem to see any useful function relating to that on there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Scheduling emails with Gmail.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/schedule-gmail-send-later/24867/

Using Outlook.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ie/outlook-help/delay-or-schedule-sending-e-mail-messages-HP001232817.aspx

You could set up a response rule to go in to a separate folder to make sure you get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Hi Folks,

as part of a morning IT check-list, we check email connectivity by emailing echo@esat.net which replies with a response and various other routing information.

is there any tool out there, that can automatically email [echo@esat.net] - and report back in some format?

we use manage engine as our service desk tool, but i cant seem to see any useful function relating to that on there.

So this will connect to the local exchange / mail server (SMTP or HTTPS / only Outlook allowed? Can the mail server software make be specified?),
    Send a mail through that,
    Expect to receive the mail back within 5 minutes into a service mail address.
    This program will poll for the mail (POP / IMAP / HTTPS / Outlook only allowed?)
    and
    Either report all as ok by sending a mail to IT
    Or send an alert by other means if there is a failure?

Would you be willing to schedule a script written in Python?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi Folks,

Hi,

Most important part of you post:what "various other routing information" you get from an automated reply to an email ?

I use this solution here,installed on all my clients server / network and runs every day ,every 5/15 minutes 27x7 check / daily checks.
    The amount of information received via text and / or email is far greater and rich in content than a reply to an email ...

Let me know if you need any other feedback or assistance in implementation...

Have fun...

Advertisement