Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cúnt

Options
  • 25-06-2013 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

Do you find the term "cúnt" (often spelled in different ways for obvious reasons) offensive?

Personally I find it hugely offensive, yet it seems to be quite acceptable on boards.ie nowadays.

Do you find the word "****" offensive? 48 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 48 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Cunts?
    Is it cunts?
    I love cunts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Depends on the context

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

That ****, yeah them asterisks get on my nerves alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Do you mean ***** or ****?

***** is offensive to me, **** is not as it's not in my vocabulary so makes no odds to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I hate &$!*% myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

entropi wrote: »
    That ****, yeah them asterisks get on my nerves alright.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m26mlp80PI1rnk2nto1_500.png?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have heard it used in a positive way. Like your a mad ****. But use it in the uk and they have no idea what to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

* can be a bit of a wildcard symbol IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Bit of a **** fail there.:o

Fixed now but can't fix the poll though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I don't find it offensive, and I honestly don't care if people find it offensive. It's a word I use a lot, and to take offense is just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Is somehow more piercing than prìck, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I use it in a derogatory sense, so yes I do believe it is offensive. Towards the person I'm calling a c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If you find it offensive, then your a ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I think there's more feeling in it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Isn't being offensive kind of the point of the word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I used to be a bit touretty and **** was one of my favourites.
    I'm cured now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Although I clicked YES in your poll I don't find it too offensive, more so crude and I try not use it myself.

Although funny enough I don't mind using the word 'prick' to describe a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FishFacePhil

No. Not in the slightest. Americans and Canadians find it offensive, and I think thats because it has a different meaning in those countries. There it refers to a female in a negative way. Here it just means guy or person. Aussies use the word the same way we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Do you find the term "cúnt" (often spelled in different ways for obvious reasons) offensive?

Personally I find it hugely offensive, yet it seems to be quite acceptable on boards.ie nowadays.

C unt with a fada is a bit Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

depends on who is calling you a ****. If a friend call me a ****ing **** wanker ****** prick **** **** i wouldn't be offended. That is how most of them show affection.

If a random stranger or someone said the same though....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I personally find it quite offensive, and this is dispite my thoughts for it changing due to its increased use of it lately.

I used to find it extremely offensive, and would never use it, and would even request of close friends and family not to use it. But I suppose with alot of offensive words and pharses they slowly become accepted overtime. Saying all of that, would only use it to describe the absolute dregs of society, and would never use it on someone I know, or to someones face, either as a joke or to offend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It used to be the real taboo of swear words/insults, for when you were really irate about someone or something. Now it's as common as fcuk is, no pun intended. It's very vulgar and coarse, as my dead granny would have put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Used to be indifferent to it, but the Trinity Killer in Dexter changed my perception of the word forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Gee, now that's a funny word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Is somehow more piercing than prìck, for instance.
    And we all know how piercing a prick can be

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

pharmaton wrote: »
    I used to be a bit touretty and **** was one of my favourites.
    I'm cured now though

How did you get cured?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I call my (male) boss a **** fairly regularly, not sure why that word, it just suits him:D. Another member of staff would get Prick regularly and another individual gets bastard. I like to pick an offensive word to suit their personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

;) What starts with a 'C', ends with a 'T', and is hairy on the outside and moist on the inside? ..

Coconut.... :D:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

Wankybollix.

This thread is fun.

Advertisement