Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeling guilty

Options
  • 25-06-2013 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Right guys,
    So today in work I was unloading a truck which took up most of the morning. When I was unloading the pieces I accidentally dropped a glass container about 5 feet wide which cracked (probably into hundreds of pieces)I just picked the piece up from the floor and kept walking (as if nothing happened). Luckily the piece is wrapped in a wooden container so it's not visible. I'm pretty sure the shipment won't be moved until early next week (by then I'm thinking that the boss won't remember who did that shipment or maybe won't notice).

Should I tell the boss and risk my job or maybe a few hundred dollars of a claim? Or should I just keep to myself and hope that nobody notices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

say nothing dude

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Kichote

keep schtumm.

con1421 wrote: »
    Right guys,
    So today in work I was unloading a truck which took up most of the morning. When I was unloading the pieces I accidentally dropped a glass container about 5 feet wide which cracked (probably into hundreds of pieces)I just picked the piece up from the floor and kept walking (as if nothing happened). Luckily the piece is wrapped in a wooden container so it's not visible. I'm pretty sure the shipment won't be moved until early next week (by then I'm thinking that the boss won't remember who did that shipment or maybe won't notice).

Should I tell the boss and risk my job or maybe a few hundred dollars of a claim? Or should I just keep to myself and hope that nobody notices?

Would you really lose your job over a work accident that could happen to anyone?

Your boss probably has insurance to cover accidents like this. Don't feel too guilty.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Say nothing and deny it down to the ground. Say it could have been broken before you even got to it. He can't fire you for something if he's not sure whether or not you actually did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

Accidents happen, your boss will understand and probably pat you on the back for your honesty! Promotion on the cards for you mate!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

CLARiiON wrote: »
    Accidents happen, your boss will understand and probably pat you on the back for your honesty! Promotion on the cards for you mate!!

Ignore every piece of that if you want to have a job next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Say nothing and if its found, deny it down to the ground. And pray to Cow that he doesn't read boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Ignore every piece of that if you want to have a job next week.

I'd have a lot of respect for someone who came to me and told me what happened, I'd admire his honesty.

It's not like he deliberately trashed the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Are you that much of an unprofessional coward?

Can you seriously be this weak? It is a work place fcuk up, it happens all the time, everyday, Human error.

One thing I always insisted staff to do was report accidents, It protects all our jobs in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Why not post the whole thing up on Boards.ie? No one from work will be reading this, well, probably not many anyway. Use the steady rudder of After Hours to guide you in this quandary.

Serious answer: as you have confessed publicly here it's probably safer if you fess up at work too. If you hadn't posted here I'd say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

Say nothing bud, **** happens! Put it out of your mind, it could have happened before it got to you as far as you are concerned. Jobs are hard to come by these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Deny deny deny!

Being a hero is admirable and all but cowards keep the skin on their nose.

You left it too late op to admit your mistake, your best course of action is too say everything seemed fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Right guys,

knew it was you ya little **** :mad:

dont come in tommorow :/

you can collect your P45 next week

and the damage you caused? coming out of your wages too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Hennimore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

I worked for an electronics distributor for the last 3 years as a forklift driver. The yard where I offloaded the trucks was in bits. Torn up from the 40 footers pulling u turns instead of backingin. Some of tgthe potholes were almost knee deep. Nearly every week in my report I mentioned how bad it was getting and how dangerous it was to the staff and customers making pickups.
    One day I was taking in a delivery of tvs (some pallets were worth over €20,000!) when one of the wheels of my truck hit a pothole. Over went the pallet and nearly the forklift with me in it! I took great pleasure filling out that accident report and telling the boss. I can only imagine what sort of a hit the insurance took and how it affected the premiums.
    That said, the boss couldn't care less about the stock. Most of them only care about personal injury and claims.
    Whatever you broke will be sorted by the insurance so don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭club goldgrain

Right guys,

you would loose a job over an accident mate, but you should tell the boss because apart of their intitial " you donkey how did that happen" they will try and help prevent these things happen again,
    i the customer reciecves it broken then theres more chance of loosing your job bud,
    just tell and sort it.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭club goldgrain

you would loose a job over an accident mate, but you should tell the boss because apart of their intitial " you donkey how did that happen" they will try and help prevent these things happen again,
    i the customer reciecves it broken then theres more chance of loosing your job bud,
    just tell and sort it.:rolleyes:

sorry correct that, you would not loose your job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I would tell the boss so that the problem can be fixed now. Bosses cannot fix problems they don't know about, which then all of a sudden explode and become an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

sorry correct that, you would not loose your job

*twitch*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If you admit it now you'll have to explain why you didn't bring it to your bosses attention in the first place and you probably won't be able to give an acceptable explanation so probably best to lie low. Next time inform them from the off and save yourself the guilty conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

What will happen if there's a witness or CCTV setup and you get seen? Usually it's better to be honest about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I feel guilty by association having just read it :o can I get a re-wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Tell your boss what you did. Then go in tomorrow and tell him you didn't really do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Im a bit ofof an expert in this field.
    Tellyour boss when you first handledhandled the box it sounded like there was something broken inside it.
    Then your boss can refuse the product and get a replacement free of charge.
    The only person that can get in trouble is some lad who loaded it.
    Everyone on your end wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Are you that much of an unprofessional coward?

Can you seriously be this weak? It is a work place fcuk up, it happens all the time, everyday, Human error.

One thing I always insisted staff to do was report accidents, It protects all our jobs in the long term.

There's a lot of sense in this.

At least then your boss can approach the customer pre warned and advise them of the damage securing all relationships instead of just landing them with a box of broken glass !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

MugMugs wrote: »
    There's a lot of sense in this.

At least then your boss can approach the customer pre warned and advise them of the damage securing all relationships instead of just landing them with a box of broken glass !

Also point out that the packing was not up to much

Fragile goods should be packed to withstand Opening Poster

Advertisement