Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Revolution in Ireland...

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well in terms of corruption I don't think Ireland is too far behind Brazil to be honest.

Do you really believe that? Have you read much about Brazil or been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Do you really believe that? Have you read much about Brazil or been there?

It's a personal view. I have plenty of friends from Brazil and I know it's a corrupt country and certainly more corrupt than here. I just think Ireland s a lot more corrupt than people realize. From county council level to local government. We had Haughey and his family living of state money (some estimates of ten million) and receiving no jail time. We had Bertie claiming no bank account and in my personal experience department jobs are often given on who you know irregardless of what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zom wrote: »
    Are we really so pampered that we don't mind what governments are doing with us and rest of the word? Bigger repose if someone start to talk about jelly babies than revolt in Turkey or Brasli?
    What is the dole and social housing in those countries, added to their level of freedom, and amount of crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It's a personal view. I have plenty of friends from Brazil and I know it's a corrupt country and certainly more corrupt than here. I just think Ireland s a lot more corrupt than people realize. From county council level to local government. We had Haughey and his family living of state money (some estimates of ten million) and receiving no jail time. We had Bertie claiming no bank account and in my personal experience department jobs are often given on who you know irregardless of what you know.

Ireland has a certain level of corruption like all countries. I accept that it is a pretty unpleasant state of affairs to see people like Bertie and other politician not acting in the interest of the country. However I dont really think you can compare Ireland to a country like Brazil, we have good social welfare, relatively good access to education at all levels and relatively good access to health care. These are the reason why Irish people will not revolt, its not because they are asleep, its because our country provides pretty well for many its citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I don't think we are so pampered that we don't mind what governments are doing with us and rest of the word. I'm not but I suppose it depends on your personal situation, Ireland is not perfect but Its not hellish either. Protesting and battling with the system is fine for people with the time and energy to do so. Working and looking after family I find is hard enough. If there is spare time I like a little entertainment and a some peace and rest. For me Life is not bad enough to join a revolution. Maybe it's the water I'm drinking but life is too short for long avoidable struggles imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TheDX

Imagine a revolt of the jelly babies, where they all started eating people. It's a wonder no one ever thought to make a horror film like that.

Do you not remember the war of the buttons. Everyone naked throwing buttons at each other. Horrific stuff. That's why noone revolts in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

king minger and the turf cutter brigade. uh wait .....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭heartseeker

darlett wrote: »
    Check this shid out!

High energy mother truckers

They may take our freedom but they can never take our jelly babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

One in five children go to bed hungry.

Homelessness increased by 7%.

On top of that some schools have lost a fifth or more of their teachers.

No offense meant but people who aren't affected by this shouldn't be telling everyone "we need cuts ect".

none of that means anything without knowing about their circumstances, its just a bunch of relatively meaningless stats

IM0 wrote: »
    none of that means anything without knowing about their circumstances, its just a bunch of relatively meaningless stats

Ah right so cuts don't affect those less well off in society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ah right so cuts don't affect those less well off in society?

if you can afford to fill your kids with sweets and rubbish you are not poor, sweets are expensive, blaming crap parenting on cuts is rediculous

IM0 wrote: »
    if you can afford to fill your kids with sweets and rubbish you are not poor, sweets are expensive, blaming crap parenting on cuts is rediculous

What are you talking about sweets for? Every kid who goes hungry are force fed sweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What are you talking about sweets for? Every kid who goes hungry are force fed sweets?

Yes. Jelly Babies.

Close the thread, the circle is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Kids should never be hungry at anytime. This is definitely a case of bad household management. I was raised in poor times. We always had bread, jam & cocoa going to bed. & a bowl of lumpy porridge shoved into us in the morning. Basic stuff but no hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

poppyvally wrote: »
    Kids should never be hungry at anytime.

They need to do other things rather than just eat all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

We need a revolution in Ireland that is peaceful and not hijacked by the Jintos and other fanatics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

There was barely a revolution when we were ruled by a foreign power for 800 years, and the Vikings before them. The idea that we are the fighting Irish is a joke, fighting drunk Irish more like. There will never be a popular revolution in this country, the people are too lazy and mentally weak. The only chance of a revolution is a group of strong men who take control, and in out setup/system that is never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

the difference between ireland/western europe and brazil and turkey is that we have a far higher standard of living and our complaints about property tax, water charges and abortion legislation are embarrassing in contrast.

For a 'revolution' or wide spread protests you need something that is popular with the people. such as peace parades in the late 90s.

but it takes something blatantly obvious to gather the irish people together. It's a nation full of people with no memories, parochial opinions and a grinding willingness to argue against someone else for the sake of it.

Look at the abortion stuff ffs, in longford for example. International embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Not yet. we have a long way to go, who knows whats going to happen in this country especially with the twats we have running it.

The problem is that often countries just fall away and slide towards chaos. A perfect example is a country that was peaceful (albeit poor) and safe in the 1970s and then slid into chaos and is like that to this day. That country is Afghanistan, one of the safest countries in the world in 1972.

We have plenty terrorist organisations here in Ireland only waiting to hijack a revolution. The mainstream Jintos, the dissident Jintos, Eirigi (who are probably the Jintos under another guise), all these pro life nutters, all these pro abortion nutters too, the Shell to Sea nutters (more Jintos in disguise), etc, etc, etc.

Ideally, we need to have a reformist government who can reform the dail from within. The current government and recent ones too are our enemies and have deliberately caused hardship so as to protect the gangster developers, banks and even drug dealers. End Kenny's nephew is a drug dealer and robber who got off from a prison sentence because of who he is!! Makes you wonder: are they any difference between some Jinto lead regime and the current one here: are all politicians beholden to drug dealers and is this why they are so afraid to turn on the developers and banks. Is that what the Good Friday agreement was all about? Allowing drug dealers to launder money into the Irish economy and emerge as developers!

I got a rose flavored jellybaby once. Worst day of my life. Ive also heard of a jellybaby that tastes like fairy liquid. Not Bassets mind you, one of them cheap imitation jellybabies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

There must be something in the water here. Irish people have become extremely passive and docile, far more likely to get riled up about meaningless sports than something that actually matters.

Or abortion, imagine if the bankers supported abortions...only then we'd have some action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Maybe Revolution got mistaken for revulsion?

Advertisement