Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

degsie wrote: »
    I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks. I should have mentioned that the TV Guide works fine, it's just when I try to watch Live TV I get the error message about UPC WiFi.
    I tried it the other night and was able to watch RTÉ no bother. I didn't try many other channels, but even on the day that it came out I was able to watch it. I know UPC have a thing about it being on their network, but by that they mean using their broadband service with their IP address. That should be all you need and the router needn't be an issue. It's just very strange.

You should also consider erasing the data on the app (you know how to do that?) and when you launch it again, it will be back at factory state, so you should then sign in again on your UPC connection (on your own TP-Link router).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Just tried clearing app data and force close. Was able to log in and STB was recognised etc. Still fails to play live TV. Daft question (maybe!) but does your STB have to be on to view live channels on the app?

Just tried clearing app data and force close. Was able to log in and STB was recognised etc. Still fails to play live TV. Daft question (maybe!) but does your STB have to be on to view live channels on the app?
    To be honest, I don't have UPC TV. I use my ma's credentials. I set it up for her so I figured why not put it to good use. I reckon their STB is plugged in 24/7 but certainly not powered on 24/7. So I'm not even on the same network as her TV subscription (which is Horizon and the box is being used as the modem).

Finally cracked it. I have a non UPC DNS setup on my router which connected devices pick up. I had to manually change the DNS setting on android to upc addresses on order for horizon app to work. Thanks for the earlier suggestions.

Finally cracked it. I have a non UPC DNS setup on my router which connected devices pick up. I had to manually change the DNS setting on android to upc addresses on order for horizon app to work. Thanks for the earlier suggestions.
    Ah very good. I'm using UPC's DNS exclusively except for on my PC where I sometimes use a smart DNS for Netflix. So that would explain it. Nice to know that the DNS matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 il_rosso

Hello guys.

I'm from Italy and I connect to the internet via a cable modem connected to my router, WRT54G flashed with tomato.

My ISP will next week change my modem to the EPC3925 and it will be configured to bridged mode by them.

Can you please confirm I have to change no settings inside my router before the change?

Which means that when the new modem is delivered, I remove the old modem, I install the EPC3925 and connect it with the router via port 1 of the EPC3925 and then connect normally to the internet?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mmasic

At the end all I got is 403 Forbidden.
    P.S.
    I'm not from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It won't come with bridgin on, you'll have to change it yourself or call them.

mmasic wrote: »
    At the end all I got is 403 Forbidden.
    P.S.
    I'm not from Ireland.

You cannot connect to your router after bridging on the standard ip address (e.g 192.168.1.1), you would need to set up a static ip address in the range 192.168.100.2 - 192.168.100.254 and then try to connect to the bridged modem @ 192.168.100.1

You cannot connect to your router after bridging on the standard ip address (e.g 192.168.1.1), you would need to set up a static ip address in the range 192.168.100.2 - 192.168.100.254 and then try to connect to the bridged modem @ 192.168.100.1

I'm not (yet) bridged. After paste html code and "save settings" is where I got black screen with 403

• Advertisement

mmasic wrote: »
    I'm not (yet) bridged. After paste html code and "save settings" is where I got black screen with 403

Search the thread for "403", lots of ppl have seen this. Not sure if there is a solution.

Search the thread for "403", lots of ppl have seen this. Not sure if there is a solution.

There is always a solution.
    Depends how far you're willing to go.
    In this case, replacing html code is a simple one.
    I've already changed my addresses from 192 to 10 this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 The.King

Just read through the last 50-odd pages, so my brain is starting to go a little numb now!

Just wondering if there was ever any update on bridging the Thomson TWG870 and if not - how in God's name do I go about obtaining one of these Cisco EPC3925 cable modems? (Yeah, I'm stuck with a crappy Thomson from UPC, but I'm looking to get a Netgear WNDR4500 for my network at home (or a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 - as 802.11ac seems to be the way to go) as I have a load of devices (wired and wireless) and they keep dropping all of the time due to the Thomson being incapable of handling more than 4 devices.

I should point out that I'm not an IT dude, I just like my techy stuff and my AV stuff. (Couldn't even tell you how I managed to get my NAS set-up, but there you have it.)

When I web admin (if that's the correct term) into my Thomson router, under >Administration>Wireless, there is a section for 'Bridging' which says "disabled". There is a drop-down arrow to "enable" bridging and then there are four blank spaces below it for "Remote Bridges".

Is this just a 'false hope' being dropped into the modem set-up by UPC and actually useless, or have they just allowed bridging mode on the Thomson? I have a screenshot from my PC, but there doesn't appear to be an option to include it here? Probably because I don't have a lots of posts or something?

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance.

The.King wrote: »
    Just read through the last 50-odd pages, so my brain is starting to go a little numb now!

Just wondering if there was ever any update on bridging the Thomson TWG870 and if not - how in God's name do I go about obtaining one of these Cisco EPC3925 cable modems? (Yeah, I'm stuck with a crappy Thomson from UPC, but I'm looking to get a Netgear WNDR4500 for my network at home (or a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 - as 802.11ac seems to be the way to go) as I have a load of devices (wired and wireless) and they keep dropping all of the time due to the Thomson being incapable of handling more than 4 devices.

I should point out that I'm not an IT dude, I just like my techy stuff and my AV stuff. (Couldn't even tell you how I managed to get my NAS set-up, but there you have it.)

When I web admin (if that's the correct term) into my Thomson router, under >Administration>Wireless, there is a section for 'Bridging' which says "disabled". There is a drop-down arrow to "enable" bridging and then there are four blank spaces below it for "Remote Bridges".

Is this just a 'false hope' being dropped into the modem set-up by UPC and actually useless, or have they just allowed bridging mode on the Thomson? I have a screenshot from my PC, but there doesn't appear to be an option to include it here? Probably because I don't have a lots of posts or something?

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in advance.
    Try going to http://192.168.0.1/system/switch-mode.asp

If that doesn't work then follow the first post in this thread.

Karsini - Thanks......... I think?

You might have missed the part where I said I wasn't an IT dude :):)

So obviously 192.168.0.1/wlanBridging.asp option means absolutely nothing then?

Your first link didn't work - there is no 'system'>'switch-mode' in 192.168.0.1, so I just get "page cannot be displayed" usual error.

Had a look at the second link - thanks. Man, there is a lot of info there! Seems like option 2 is a lot easier. I'm just reading through all pages now - has it been confirmed as working and not causing issue? (I assume so, just wanted to be sure before I try.)

Thanks for the head's-up.

You should just need to click the switch-mode link and it would give you an option to switch to bridge mode. Nothing special to it. Other than that you'd have to go through the instructions in the other thread. UPC don't officially support it, it's basically a hack, so there's no easier way.

Karsini wrote: »
    You should just need to click the switch-mode link and it would give you an option to switch to bridge mode. Nothing special to it. Other than that you'd have to go through the instructions in the other thread. UPC don't officially support it, it's basically a hack, so there's no easier way.

Thanks.

There was no 'switch' mode so I just followed instructions in the other post from the link you gave me. Everything worked fine, (I did a test run) but I now can't set my Thomson back to default with the 'reset' button on the back of it. For a reason why....

Please see the very last post on the other link you gave me. I can't post links here as a noob, so...

/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106714&page=19

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FishD

AAAH,
    Should have started from the bottom of this thread and worked back.....

Went over to horizon, all good except for wifi from the samsung box. getting
    Thought i'd use the old EPC3925 as wifi extender, in bridge mode. No joy, firmware blocking bridge mode. its for the scrap heap!..

So after several hours of wasted time, I'm off to buy a new routuer to use in AP mode....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

FishD wrote: »
    AAAH,
    Should have started from the bottom of this thread and worked back.....

Went over to horizon, all good except for wifi from the samsung box. getting
    Thought i'd use the old EPC3925 as wifi extender, in bridge mode. No joy, firmware blocking bridge mode. its for the scrap heap!..

So after several hours of wasted time, I'm off to buy a new routuer to use in AP mode....

You dont need bridge mode to use the EPC as an AP

Just disable the DHCP Server and set the LAN IP to an addres within your subnet and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Just bridged over the 3925 to a TP-Link cable router.

Working so much better now. Speed tests have effectively doubled.

At least the HTML doesn't need modding anymore, just had to manually change DNS settings on the TP-Link. Thanks to OP all the same. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

I'd like to use my 3925 in bridge mode with a good quality router for all the PCs and smart devices in the house. Any recommendations for the router? Ease of use and a good strong wi-fi signal would be important. Budget would be around the €100 mark, a little more if justifiable.

Thanks in advance!

Oak76 wrote: »
    I'd like to use my 3925 in bridge mode with a good quality router for all the PCs and smart devices in the house. Any recommendations for the router? Ease of use and a good strong wi-fi signal would be important. Budget would be around the €100 mark, a little more if justifiable.

Thanks in advance!

This is the one I use. It is dual function adsl/cable router. Wireless coverage is good on 2.4/5 GHz, both of which will work at the same time!

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1437256/Trail/searchtext%3ETP-LINK.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Any recommendations for the router?

I bought mu Asus RT-N16 two years ago,so i am not au fait with new Routers, but whatever one i bought i would ensure that you can flash DD-WRT or Tomato on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Thanks guys.

Is flashing the firmware difficult/essential? What advantages does it give? Thanks!

Thanks guys.

Is flashing the firmware difficult/essential? What advantages does it give? Thanks!
    It's not essential but often or not it can add useful features, fix sloppy problems that your firmware might have, and manage the resources more efficiently. But it really comes down to how bad your firmware is. So, not, it's not essential and sometimes it's not even necessary because it can go the other way, too, and cause more problems than it solves.

I use a Netgear WNDR3700v1 (there's a v4 out now and lots of others have given much praise to the WNDR3800) and I find the signal quite good and it is dual-band N600. I flashed mine with Gargoyle and I love it. If it doesn't extend the Wi-Fi coverage by much (I reckon it does a little), then I love it simply because of its logging of connections, etc., and who's using what amount of bandwidth at any given time. It also has decent QoS management, if ever I need it. It's based on Open WRT and any devices that support Open WRT support Gargoyle.

ASUS routers have always been held in high regard also, so do look into them. Spend your budget or go over it a bit. I think the €120 mark will see to it that you get something rock-solid from Netgear or ASUS as long as you don't buy from a rip-off retailer. Buying online from the likes of Dabs.ie or Amazon.co.uk will see your buck get you more. Even in the weak state of the Euro vs. Sterling, I find Amazon.co.uk consistently the cheapest place to buy all my tech, even my last set of PC parts this year. To overcome the cost of shipping to Ireland, you can use Parcel Motel's Northern Ireland depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shrugging Atlas

I've found out my router has bridge mode available. Is there any particular types of router that I need to pick up, or will anything do? And if someone has any experience of any from the argos catalogue and could advise Id greatly appreciate it

I've found out my router has bridge mode available. Is there any particular types of router that I need to pick up, or will anything do? And if someone has any experience of any from the argos catalogue and could advise Id greatly appreciate it

I'd recommend a wireless router (dual band) with GigE ports and 802.11ac WiFi for future proofing. TP-Link routers are worth a look at. I personally use a TP-Link TD-W8980 I got from Argos a while ago. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Lads can anyone help me here, I logged into my EPC3925 today to see why I couldn't connect to some of my devices to discover the port forwarding menu is gone? I called UPC and asked but I may as well be talking to a wall.
    It looks like the firmware (Firmware Version: e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc) on my modem was upgrade as I now have a 5GHz option as well.

I tried to configure it in bridged mode and use my WNDR3700v4 with DD-WRT but I couldn't connect to the internet.

Does anyone know how I can get the menu back or what are the correct settings for the WNDR3700

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

What for You need port forwarding on Cisco?
    I have same config - different FW but no problems with connecting to Netgear

• Advertisement

Lads can anyone help me here, I logged into my EPC3925 today to see why I couldn't connect to some of my devices to discover the port forwarding menu is gone? I called UPC and asked but I may as well be talking to a wall.
    It looks like the firmware (Firmware Version: e3925-ES-12-c1100r5593-140522c_upc) on my modem was upgrade as I now have a 5GHz option as well.

I tried to configure it in bridged mode and use my WNDR3700v4 with DD-WRT but I couldn't connect to the internet.

Does anyone know how I can get the menu back or what are the correct settings for the WNDR3700

Thanks
    Check your IP address, is it a v6 address?

Advertisement