Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVR Queries, Questions, Advice, etc

• 26-12-2010 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

where is the best place to get a hd pvr. my friend got one but it didnt come with any component cables or software and it took a good while to get it all going.

i want to get it as cheap as possible (around 200) but still get all the stuff with it and not used. i know there is other topics of this but i want a more up to date feedback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The official site is by far the best place

www.hauppauge.com

€175 delivered, full customer support, and you will get everything you need with it to get you started. (Except obviously your xbox/ps3 component cables)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

thanks tallon

No problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JoeyPS3

If you have a credit card then go with tallons suggestion
    if you have a laser card get it off pixmania.ie , i looked around and they were the cheapest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BlueZDee

Hi everyone.

I bought a hd pvr and im not able to hear the sound through me tv, everything else is fine and and with black ops this isnt a problem because i would just use theatre mode and then record with the hd pvr after. This is really annoying as without sound i get owned in mw2 and cod4:(

Someone please help, im losing my patience.
    Thanks

BlueZDee

• Advertisement

PS3 or Xbox?

Have you set the sound in your console menu to output through component?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

On HDPVRCAPTURE there's an option to select the front audio ports instea of the back for input. Perhaps you've done something like that?

Thanks for replying.

Im on PS3, when i got into sound settings there are 3 options. i then go into audio output settings and its set to audio input connector/scart/av multi, and when i select that i have no options and cant go further. i think this means its set to output component. and as for the cables on the hd pvr all the cables are connected to the back, and everythings in the right place. still no sound. when i change the channel settings on my tv to hdmi i can hear the sound for a second and then it goes away and says no signal recieved which is wierd. i tried turning the audio settings to hdmi but this did not help.

i hope you can help. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

BlueZDee wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.

Im on PS3, when i got into sound settings there are 3 options. i then go into audio output settings and its set to audio input connector/scart/av multi, and when i select that i have no options and cant go further. i think this means its set to output component. and as for the cables on the hd pvr all the cables are connected to the back, and everythings in the right place. still no sound. when i change the channel settings on my tv to hdmi i can hear the sound for a second and then it goes away and says no signal recieved which is wierd. i tried turning the audio settings to hdmi but this did not help.

When your changing your display settings you pick 1080i , then you have to change your audio settings as well , you will have no sound if you use the hdmi option as you are not using a hdmi cable , i cant remember the other 2 options but it will just take a minute to find which works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I ordered a PVR over the weekend, should be getting it in a few days. Just got a couple of questions.

Anyone here record bluray movies from ps3 and/or HD movies from Sky using their PVR? Also how much space would a movie take up?

I know that to record from ps3 you connect it to the ps3 via component cable. Would it be ok to connect it to my Onkio 605 amp instead to record Sky HD aswell?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Changing the display settings on what the ps3 or the hdpvr?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Thanks for replying.

Im on PS3, when i got into sound settings there are 3 options. i then go into audio output settings and its set to audio input connector/scart/av multi, and when i select that i have no options and cant go further. i think this means its set to output component.
    Not necessarily - you can drive the audio via something from HDMI. However, if you have it set to the multi-AV then sound should be going out over it.
    and as for the cables on the hd pvr all the cables are connected to the back, and everythings in the right place. still no sound. when i change the channel settings on my tv to hdmi i can hear the sound for a second and then it goes away and says no signal recieved which is wierd. i tried turning the audio settings to hdmi but this did not help.

When you change the TV to HDMI do you also change the video settings on PS3?

Could be that the PS3 is simply sending the audio over HDMI always since it's connected.
    Check the audio settings again. A good tip is to enable the dual output setting (can't remember it's name off hand). then set it to output over the multi-AV as well as HDMI. This works for me.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I ordered a PVR over the weekend, should be getting it in a few days. Just got a couple of questions.

Anyone here record bluray movies from ps3 and/or HD movies from Sky using their PVR? Also how much space would a movie take up?
    Theoretically possible to do it as it just goes out over the component video line anyways. However you'd be getting a HD Movie (at whatever res the PVR supports) with stereo sound only.
    File size will depend on codec, etc. and varies a bit. However, is easy enough to get a rough estimate, e.g. if a 10min COD game fills up 200MB of disk space, then a 120min film is 12x200MB = 1.4GB.
    I know that to record from ps3 you connect it to the ps3 via component cable. Would it be ok to connect it to my Onkio 605 amp instead to record Sky HD aswell?
    Again same thing. As long as your outputting component from the Onkyo at a res that is supported by the PVR - yep! :)
    Only thing that may be an issue is does the Onkyo support downsampling of the audio and sending out via RCA? Otherwise you'll have to take the audio off the Sky box directly and you could get time sync issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Spoon!!

I want to record my xbox 360 game footage and a PVR seems to be my best option. Can anyone recommend a very cheap one?

Hauppage for HD, easycap for SD. :)

Both cheap and cheerful but do what they say on the tin.

oh i tried selecting dual but when i do it only allows me to select either the av or hdmi, when i select one the dual output automatically turn itself off, how did u selec it?

oh i tried selecting dual but when i do it only allows me to select either the av or hdmi, when i select one the dual output automatically turn itself off, how did u selec it?

hmmm.. I use the optical out to my amp as main and then set the Audio Multi-Output to On and it does it all for me. I don't need to touch anything else. I would think you set it to HDMI on the main setting and then just turn on the Multi-output and it should work.

If you are only using Component - then I suggest you set it the "Audio Input Connector/ SCART/ AV Multi" anyway and disconnect the HDMI cable if possible.
    You won't be able to output the video to 2 different connectors.

thanks, got it today in the post. Need to get a ps3 component cable tomorrow.
    One other thing, I didnt get any remote control in the box, is that normal? Ive read online that it comes with a remote:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Ok, so for my PVR I have this at home (I got it delivered from a fellow Boardsie, and haven't been home since it arrived) :

"Powercable
    PVR Component cable
    PVR
    Remote
    USB Cable
    Remote cable thing"

and he told me I need a "ps3 component cable". Went into gamestop and they didn't have and was told to go to sony shop. Sony shop says you cannot buy them anywhere no matter what :confused:. Went into tesco and bought this, did I just waste e15? It's not sony but it's all I could get.

img0053b.jpg

Edit - Disregard the PSN vouchers, that's how I'm paying him :pac:

That was an outright lie in the sony shop. I'd guess they don't get many people wanting to use anything but HDMI.

What you have there looks fine. I use something similar I bought off amazon but you can get them in tescos, maplins etc.

• Advertisement

I got that component cable in tesco today aswell lee! Hope the quality is good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sprrratt

Shouldnt be any issues with that lee :)

Hi thanks for replying again.

The thing you suggested in the previous message didn't work and its because theres no hdmi cable, its a component cable to the ps3 and to the tv from the hd pvr. thats all. thats probably also why whhen i select hdmi>manual it says there isnt one connected. so now what should i do.

Please dont give up on me, i really want it fixed. thanks

Hi thanks for replying again.

The thing you suggested in the previous message didn't work and its because theres no hdmi cable, its a component cable to the ps3 and to the tv from the hd pvr. thats all. thats probably also why whhen i select hdmi>manual it says there isnt one connected. so now what should i do.

Please dont give up on me, i really want it fixed. thanks

I was suggesting HDMI since you said earlier that if you selected the HDMI channel on the TV you got some sound... Which I assummed a HDMI connection.

What TV Make/Model do you have. I'll check into it.

I just checked, i think one of the cables on IS hdmi but i could very very easily be wrong. i was just fiddling around with the sound so i reset all the the settings.did nothing. just thought id let u know.
    thanks for taking such an interest.

my tv is a nordmende hd ready one

That should be fine.

Did you get it working after all? Is it showing up on your PC now?

which is better to put in ps3 screen settings 720p or 1080i?

720p is fine.
    1080i is too big a file size, and youtube cant handle it correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Tallon wrote: »
    That should be fine.

Did you get it working after all? Is it showing up on your PC now?

On the downstairs tv yes. My tv in my bedroom is wall mounted, with maybe an inch or a half inch gap and the component input was way longer so essentially they were pushing the tv out from the wall at an angle. I'd say they were becoming loose the second I pushed them back in.

Looking back at the recording (580mb for 8 minutes!!) it's all glitchy and jumpy. Have I to change some settings? It looks ok in the capture module program, but playing the recording in .vlc media player makes it look like shít.

In VLC :
    30227074.jpg

In Capture module :
    16848273.jpg

• Advertisement

VLC can't decode it, you will need to play it in Media Player

Advertisement