Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Dub13 wrote: »
    How come she is back...?were the other 2 that bad..?

Apparently, they were signed up to do the whole week, but (the source is the Daily Mail so may or may not be true) were dropped after 2 days because "alarmed" producers feared a ratings disaster. So Sile Seoige, "who had impressed", station bosses was reinstated.

The station said the reaction to Seoige from the listeners had been fantastic because she is "down to earth, genuine and energetic".

I thought her shows were deadly dull myself and didn't think she was really suited to radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Rubik. wrote: »
    Apparently, they were signed up to do the whole week, but (the source is the Daily Mail so may or may not be true) were dropped after 2 days because "alarmed" producers feared a ratings disaster. So Sile Seoige, "who had impressed", station bosses was reinstated.

The station said the reaction to Seoige from the listeners had been fantastic because she is "down to earth, genuine and energetic".

I thought her shows were deadly dull myself and didn't think she was really suited to radio.

Grand girl Sile, but if it wasn't for "the songs about the weather", "songs with girls' names in", etc, there could have been a lot of dead air.

Having said that, have to admire her enthusiasm, energy and good nature, nonetheless, and the way she kept the show on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think Ger Gilroy would be more suited to reading the sports bulletins or working behind the scenes in some capacity. 5 hours of live broadcasting from him every saturday and sunday is just too much for me to take.

He's a big improvement on his predecessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Rubik. wrote: »
    He's a big improvement on his predecessor.
    Jurry O'Sullivan? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

According to tomorrows Sunday Tribune, Conor Brophy (Business Editor) is working out his notice before leaving for RTE also! And another unnamed high-profile presenter at Newstalk has made quiet queries about leaving Newstalk for RTE.
    No link to the article online til tomorrow evening at 6pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

robo wrote: »
    According to tomorrows Sunday Tribune, Conor Brophy (Business Editor) is working out his notice before leaving for RTE also! And another unnamed high-profile presenter at Newstalk has made quiet queries about leaving Newstalk for RTE.

Rats fleeing from a sinking ship.

NT need to do something drastic in my opinion. The Last Word is a brand which is recognisable the country over. Currently Communicorp have Hook and Cooper against one another, not to mention Mary Wilson, McGuirk and various local stations having current news at the drivetime slot. Bringing the Last Word over to NT would allow them to move Hook to Breakfast and maybe push Yates to lunchtime. It would obviousely weaken Today FM but maybe they could play music at the drive couple of hours and look to another slot to fufill their speech requirments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

I always wondered why 2 stations under the same management or company would have 2 similiar programmes (Last Word & Hook) broadcast at the same time, fighting for listeners, having the same topics on(sometimes with the same contributors). It would make sense to have one Current Affairs show. Preferably with Cooper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I always wondered why 2 stations under the same management or company would have 2 similiar programmes (Last Word & Hook) broadcast at the same time, fighting for listeners, having the same topics on(sometimes with the same contributors). It would make sense to have one Current Affairs show. Preferably with Cooper!

In fairness to Hook he has held his own in that slot, one of the most competative in Irish radio with so much like for like going round. the 4.30 through to 10 o'clock slot is IIRC the only slot that has pretty much remained unchanged since its inception, barring of course Gilroy moving and making way for McDevitt. Moncrieff has been there for a while but I'm pretty sure that there was a culture/arts show back in 2003/2004 days.

Cooper is definately stronger though and he would carry listeners over, exactly the type NT needs to attract more of who probably never bother to switch from between RTÉ 1/The Last Word to anywhere else. Mary Wilson is there for the taking and I'm sure combining the Hook/Cooper audience would clean up at that hour. Hook could carry a two to three hour breakfast show. Morning Ireland is a giant but NT just needs a solid stable audience, something they have never had at that slot, Hook IMO would increase their audience at that time and whilst I doubt anyone would get near their figures he would deliver a better audience than what is there currentlly. NT currently has no competative advantage over RTÉ head to head, the Last Word could imo get them that particularly with one less mouth at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Newstalk are in big trouble despite Cronin putting a spin on it today, before Yates starts new look breakfast show their main buisness guy is leaving. Have they fillred the Lunchtime gig yet? Tom Dunne losing an hour is a admission of failure on his part to attract listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe they could get George Lee in ;)

It'll be interesting to see who RTE have nicked and what the terms and conditions are (ie wage hike). Moncreiff or Tom Dunne seems most likely over to 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe they could get George Lee in ;)

It'll be interesting to see who RTE have nicked and what the terms and conditions are (ie wage hike). Moncreiff or Tom Dunne seems most likely over to 2FM.
    Who would RTE be after? As you say Moncrieff or Dunne, I reckon Ivan Yates as he's been called on by them quite often during the year for political analysis on Pat Kenny's show and Drivetime but if it's the others, for what role? RTE have several experienced broadcasters sitting around with no definite job for them (George Lee, Charlie Bird, Philip Boucher Hayes etc etc)

Where would RTE put Yates though. Possibly presenting a late Debate-type programme, but as you said they already have the likes of Bird and Boucher-Hayes not doing very much. I heard him doing a promo for the new breakfast show earlier on, so his departure doesn't look to be imminent.

If Moncrieff was to leave on top of all the other coming and goings, they might as well take the station off air and give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I thought Hook was meant to be going to the morning show? How come they advertising it so much for Ivan Yates then?

I think somebody else's idea of
    Hook on breakfast
    Yates on lunch
    Moncrief as is
    Cooper on drivetime
    is a good one.
    I don't know if Yates would be interested in a lunch time show though ego wise.

I like Tom Dunne as he seems like a nice person and he is actually quite funny but he struggles with that show. I don't think it is solely his fault though as he isn't given much to work with in terms of guests or content etc.

Just struck me how male dominated it is there.

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2010/aug/29/newstalk-loses-yet-another-host-to-rte/?q=newstalk

In any interview of Frank Cronins that I have read, he always comes out with these weird managent-speak phrases. Which, to me, makes him sound like a bit of a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

"And another unnamed high-profile presenter at Newstalk has made quiet queries about leaving Newstalk for RTE."

I hope it's not Moncreiff, I'm sure NT realise he’s a valuable asset. My fear is he would just be “collected” by RTE and used to fill gaps in the schedule and not given the prime time he deserves.

It would be terrible to see him playing second fiddle to twits like Tubs, Mooney,Hayes etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

It goes to show you how hypocritical most of them are as I have heard most of the Newstalk presenters giving out about the RTE salaries at some stage,yet given half the chance off they go.

It goes to show you how hypocritical most of them are as I have heard most of the Newstalk presenters giving out about the RTE salaries at some stage,yet given half the chance off they go.
    Ah, c'mon. Do you mean you wouldn't go to work for a competitor if they were paying a lot more money? Of course you would. You'd me nuts if you didn't...

Ivan's new format is pretty good, it's refresing to have some meaningful discussion in the 9-10 slot

Ah, c'mon. Do you mean you wouldn't go to work for a competitor if they were paying a lot more money? Of course you would. You'd me nuts if you didn't...

Its not about me or you as we are not preaching to tens of thousand's of people on a daily basses about how ridiculous the RTE wage bill is.I just think they lose a bit of credibility if they pop up on RTE after giving it loads while at NT.

• Advertisement

I just think they lose a bit of credibility if they pop up on RTE after giving it loads while at NT.
    Sure. Point taken, but you must also accept that every (or almost every) Radio and possibly TV worker in Ireland strives to work at RTE one day. One of the main reasons being the kudos attached to working for the state broadcaster with it's variety, resources and facilities but also because it is well known that it is one of the best payers for on air talent in Europe.

but also because it is well known that it is one of the best payers for on air talent in Europe.
    best payers for talentless twits and absent presenters too.

Sure. Point taken, but you must also accept that every (or almost every) Radio and possibly TV worker in Ireland strives to work at RTE one day. One of the main reasons being the kudos attached to working for the state broadcaster with it's variety, resources and facilities but also because it is well known that it is one of the best payers for on air talent in Europe.

Yea I am sure they are in a catch 22 type of situation.

Just listening to Ivan Yates now (forgot about his new slot) and he sounds good. He'll be better off without Claire chucking in here silly comments from time to time. Not much of the much hyped phone ins though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Poly wrote: »
    Ivan's new format is pretty good, it's refresing to have some meaningful discussion in the 9-10 slot

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought it was alright up to the last half hour which seems to be in the main sport orientated which i fecking LOATH.

theres enough bloody sports coverage as it is without more in the morning.

but that said its nice to have something to listen to all the way up to pat kenny which is what i think the whole aim of this move is.

i can see him potentially getting aload of listeners switching over to him to escape the fluff.

I fear that when the Dail reopens, and with Ivan's extensive political contacts, it will be totally politics orientated which may become a ball ache as well? Their promo said they'd have listeners calls on air but I didn't hear any today - I only caught it during the last hour though so may have had some earlier?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

el diablo wrote: »
    Jurry O'Sullivan? :rolleyes:

And where is he these days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

And where is he these days ?

Radio Kerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bit odd that Ivan Yates is covering Vincent Browne's show on TV3 this week.

You would think that in the week that they relaunched the Breakfast Show he would want to give it his full attention.

He doesn't finish on TV3 until midnight every night, it'll be a long week for Ivan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement