Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai or Security for Spanish Arch

• 02-07-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Was down at the Volvo twice over the weekend - very atmospheric and really enjoying it. Plenty of security around the dock area and seems to be very well run.

However walking up through the Spanish Arch from the Docks, through the archway at end of Long Walk, it is full of young teens sitting in groups who are very drunk, loud and intimidating. When I walked up there on the Sat night there must have been about 100 of them in various groups - it was quite scary to be honest walking past them. Did not see any gardai or security there.

I hope this changes - it ruins what is seems to be a well organized event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

...through the Spanish Arch from the Docks, through the archway at end of Long Walk

Not a route I'd take at night, VOR or otherwise. Why go looking for trouble, when there are perfectly good alternatives where you're less likely to draw attention to yourself.

YMMV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can write to the local superintendent and tell them about it. Do mention the fact that you got the idea from a discussion board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

If it was 'menacing' there it's also bad PR for the City at one of the major 'tourist attractions' that Galway puts forth. People live there too, and along long walk. I think it would be no harm to have a Guard wandering through on the hour. A chill guard mind, who wouldn't go emptying cans. But yeah, people shouldn't be afraid to walk in that area *right* in the centre of touristdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭squonk

Above all times the arch should be a safe place to walk around this week. There are a lot of new people in the city and the arch is a big landmark and it's also not that far from the pubs at the top of shop street. It's not a big ask that people should be abkle to go for a stroll down that direction if it's a nice evening this week. Fine, let it back to normal next week but it shouldn't be a knacker drinking spot this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

justmary

don't know if you have actually been down the docks at all for the Volvo, but if you have, you will see that to get to the global village - if you are in the docks, you can walk down, take a right, walk up long walk to the bridge they have put up.

There were hundreds of people walking this way over the weekend - it was an ugly sight to see these teens screaming, not being able to walk, cans strewn all aroun, being loud and obnoxious with their hoodies on - not a pretty sight for tourists, and quite honestly I don't see your point in saying to not look for trouble and find an alternative route - this IS the route to the global village from the docks. Would you say that to all the tourists also??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was down Friday about 8pm, walked the natural route from Jury's across Spanish Arch, under the arch and along the Long Walk.
    The amount of shouting drunk kids were unreal.

They were minding their own business mostly but it didn't look nice and I assume old age tourists weren't too impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

In fairness they have been hanging out there for donkeys years with minimal disturbance, as for 'think of the tourists' pity we didn't say have the same enthusiasm for 'think of our young people' when we were saddling them with debt that they will be paying off for the rest of their lives, small wonder they take to the drink. I'd feel safer if the gardaí were patrolling the IFSC.

Shakti wrote: »
    In fairness they have been hanging out there for donkeys years with minimal disturbance, as for 'think of the tourists' pity we didn't say have the same enthusiasm for 'think of our young people' when we were saddling them with debt that they will be paying off for the rest of their lives, small wonder they take to the drink. I'd feel safer if the gardaí were patrolling the IFSC.

i have no idea what you are on about shakti. I do know this happens all year, but take a walk down there during the volvo and see what you think. Every tom dick and harry hoodie seems to be there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah jaysus, does every small crime or problem have to have someone pop up and say "but what about the politicians/bankers, we've bigger things to worry about"??? :rolleyes:

Nobody is putting a gun to young people's heads forcing them to stay here and pay off this debt as you say. They are quite free to go abroad and have happy fulfilling lives if they wish. Besides, if they have money for drink and plenty of free time, they should be doing something more constructive than knacker drinking under the arch. Anyway this is off topic.

The point is that they would hardly be that put out having to move somewhere else to knacker drink for one week. What do we want? People to come to Galway, have a great time and go home to tell their friends that it was a great spot and much craic was had and that they're going back again and recommending their friends come too, or saying it was nice overall but there were some dodgy looking types in plain view, possibly saying it was OK but they wouldn't be in a hurry back.

• Advertisement

Lol, we're like the politicians in Atlanta when the Olympics came there and they shipped the homeless out of the city :D

i have no idea what you are on about shakti. I do know this happens all year, but take a walk down there during the volvo and see what you think. Every tom dick and harry hoodie seems to be there.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, does every small crime or problem have to have someone pop up and say "but what about the politicians/bankers, we've bigger things to worry about"??? :rolleyes:
    squonk wrote: »
    Nobody is putting a gun to young people's heads forcing them to stay here and pay off this debt as you say. They are quite free to go abroad and have happy fulfilling lives if they wish. Besides, if they have money for drink and plenty of free time, they should be doing something more constructive than knacker drinking under the arch. Anyway this is off topic.

The point is that they would hardly be that put out having to move somewhere else to knacker drink for one week. What do we want? People to come to Galway, have a great time and go home to tell their friends that it was a great spot and much craic was had and that they're going back again and recommending their friends come too, or saying it was nice overall but there were some dodgy looking types in plain view, possibly saying it was OK but they wouldn't be in a hurry back.

Is that what its come to so 'if you don't like paying off our debt why don't you just f*ck off to oz' I wouldn't take a thousand tourists over one young citizen of Galway but again it's not surprising they do leave here in there hundreds of thousands when you call them knackers* and hoodies etc. and begrudge them even to gather.

*using the terms knacker,knackers and knacker drinking as descriptive terms for a person is dehumanising think of the tourists who might be reading this.

Is that what its come to so 'if you don't like paying off our debt why don't you just f*ck off to oz' I wouldn't take a thousand tourists over one young citizen of Galway but again it's not surprising they do leave here in there hundreds of thousands when you call them knackers* and hoodies etc. and begrudge them even to gather.

*using the terms knacker,knackers and knacker drinking as descriptive terms for a person is dehumanising think of the tourists who might be reading this.

Well your view of the world would kill off our tourist industry very quickly. It's one natural resource we're lucky to have. We are all stuck with paying off the debt that country has. If young people wish to stay, that's fine and I bear no ill will towards any who wish to leave. If the young people in question have such a problem about the term knacker drinking which is a pretty widely used term, then they are also quite free to drink in a licencened premises or their own home. Drinking in public is an offence after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There were hundreds of people walking this way over the weekend - it was an ugly sight to see these teens screaming, not being able to walk, cans strewn all aroun, being loud and obnoxious with their hoodies on -
    So they aren't actually doing anything wrong other than being young?

If they are making a mess of the place it wouldn't be to hard to convince them to clean up after them by the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Was down at the Volvo twice over the weekend - very atmospheric and really enjoying it. Plenty of security around the dock area and seems to be very well run.

However walking up through the Spanish Arch from the Docks, through the archway at end of Long Walk, it is full of young teens sitting in groups who are very drunk, loud and intimidating. When I walked up there on the Sat night there must have been about 100 of them in various groups - it was quite scary to be honest walking past them. Did not see any gardai or security there.

I hope this changes - it ruins what is seems to be a well organized event.

Did they say anything to you or you assuming they are all trouble makers?
    Not all groups of young people are out to cause trouble or hassle people.

I was in Galway yesterday and there is a high garda presence in the city.

Let's keep this on the topic of young people bushing down at the arch.

There's no harm a with people having a few cans and craic (dunno if I lived above it though:p). Any sunny day, you'll see this. But there have been a few incidence of people throwing cans and abuse at people and that's not on.
    Menacing and craic atmospheres feel very different. A decent Garda will leave people alone if they are *not taking the p*ss*. We shouldn't be afraid to walk down Spanish Arch in the middle of summer because of some bullies.

I have seen a few Gardai around town today, so maybe it will improve it.
    And yeah, if ye go bushin' - CLEAN UP after yerselves. Bushin karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ScumLord wrote: »

If they are making a mess of the place it wouldn't be to hard to convince them to clean up after them by the guards.

And drinking in public.

And littering

And being disorderly.

Their behaviour there is no worse that it is elsewhere in the city - but around the arch there are more of them gathered together, so are more menacing to other people - especially those perceived as vulnerable (tourists, old, alone, disabled, etc).

The point of this thread is that the guards don't appear to be moving them along. I guess that this is for the usual reason they aren't moved: if you scatter the pigeons, they may land again somewhere else, where there are no cameras linked to Mill St. So I don't reckon it will change any time soon.

Compared to the behaviour of the 30-50yr old gropers and chauvinists that regularly fall in and out of The Quays/Spanish Arch Hotel etc. and reaching a zenith of mid-life lechery during race week the behaviour of these young people is exemplary.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

yes we were all young once and most of us did drink when we were under 18.

one rule we had as kids was- never to act the fool after a few drinks or you could get a box from anyone. if your drinking make sure you can handle it otherwise dont drink and p'ss people of

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's no harm a with people having a few cans and craic (dunno if I lived above it though:p).
    !

According to the law of the land its illegal to drink in public.

This drinking down around the Spanish Arch seems to be becoming a problem over the years and the groups are getting bigger and more intimidating, i'm surprised the Gardai aren't cracking down on it, it's not like they are a million miles away (Mill Street).

FlashD wrote: »
    According to the law of the land its illegal to drink in public.

I'm not disputing that FlashD. We *know* that is regularly let slide in Ireland/Galway when we feel like it (think ALL of Quay St roped off in Race Week - the street is still public...). I am of the opinion that heavy handed policing of this is not the answer. Just as heavy handed abusing of this is not the answer either :)

Unfortunately moderation is hard to maintain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

i'm surprised the Gardai aren't cracking down on it, it's not like they are a million miles away (Mill Street).
    I'm surprised you're surprised.
    Not a million miles away in body, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I understand the drinking part of it but what is the op trying to say about hoodies? It was mentioned twice but I don't see the problem with it at all. All of the country's top GAA managers have worn a hoodie at some time.

Fair enough the drinking and atmosphere could be a problem but someone's appearance shouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

inisboffin wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that FlashD. We *know* that is regularly let slide in Ireland/Galway when we feel like it (think ALL of Quay St roped off in Race Week - the street is still public...). I am of the opinion that heavy handed policing of this is not the answer. Just as heavy handed abusing of this is not the answer either :)

Unfortunately moderation is hard to maintain.

I agree with your points on moderation, the problem is that some members just don't know when to draw the line. They keep pushing the boundaries.

What next? An innocent member of the public getting pushed into the river maybe. At what point does one draw the line and clamp down on this carry on.

Down by the Claddagh and Spanish Arch always had a reputation for the sneaky can or two but openly flaunting it in front of the public is brazen, crossing the line and breaking the law for all to see.

Was there not a similar problem with underage drinking after the Junior Cert last year? With its reputation, how well they know the place to go. This is how problems develop, letting the smaller things slide. Before you know it, the ordinary public start avoiding the area, low lifes move in and you'll have littir and graffitti scrawled everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

My recently turned 18 year old has been around the Arch with his friends on a few occasions this week but thankfully he doesn't wear a 'hoodie' so musn't be one of those 'hoodlums' some posters keep referring to!!!

I must however remind him not to push any innocent passing-by tourist into the river, just in case he forgets!!:confused:

ScumLord wrote: »

they were actually, and there were no gardai in sight. :roll eyes: hopefully they have moved them on.

There's a couple things at work here, kids hanging out, drinking and and mingling. And tourists encountering them on Sparch and Long Walk.
    We can't stop the kids, they want to hang out and meet their friends but they are an eyesore for the tourists and tbh also for Galwegians.

Just kick them off the Sparch and move them over to Fr Griffin Park.
    It's out of the way for most tourists and still central enough they can meet friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

biko wrote: »
    There's a couple things at work here, kids hanging out, drinking and and mingling. And tourists encountering them on Sparch and Long Walk.
    We can't stop the kids, they want to hang out and meet their friends but they are an eyesore for the tourists and tbh also for Galwegians.

Just kick them off the Sparch and move them over to Fr Griffin Park.
    It's out of the way for most tourists and still central enough they can meet friends.
    There's an underlying issue here though - at no stage in anyone's life should it be considered acceptable to binge drink and generally abuse yourself, never mind other people. Its not a part of being young in and of itself, this is a perception that needs to change. Excusing it by talking about the bailouts is cracked in the head. I'm not particularly intimidated by gangs of drunken children, but I do feel saddened that so many young people have been pressured or fallen into such toxic habits.

Moving them along won't do much to fix that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What next? An innocent member of the public getting pushed into the river maybe. At what point does one draw the line and clamp down on this carry on.

This is how problems develop, letting the smaller things slide. Before you know it, the ordinary public start avoiding the area, low lifes move in and you'll have littir and graffitti scrawled everywhere.

Where did you get that idea from? I've never pushed anyone into a river, I don't think any of my friends have and we don't plan on starting. Its people like you and your attitude that give young people a justified reason anytime they do cause trouble. You really have a poor outlook on todays youth.

Children then low lifes, that's natural pregression right there. You porbally think its the same thing from your posting.

There's lots of worse things compared to hanging around and wearing a hoodie. The other day I saw a grown man wearing socks and sandals, can we ban him too. Banish him to the outside of the city before the tourists begin to laugh at how crazily some Irish adults dress.

I'll ring all my mates and tell them to go and buy stupid colour cardigans that don't match anything without hoods because we are offending old men without any fashion sense as well as the possibility of some tourists.

I've been to most of the big cities this side of Europe and there hasn't been one where I haven't seen young people together.

People with your attitude need to stop trying to alienate young people and maybe then we won't be as scary or ugly to look at to you. If old people stopped trying to harm young people for no reason we wouldn't need to intimidate yous back.

Did you even think that if we were asked politely we might just move?

Were not monsters we're people too so grow up, get some maturity, and start treating us with some respect and you will get it back.

Advertisement