Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop 2gb ram

Options
  • 15-10-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if PC3200 DDr ram is universal? I just bought the wrong ram (pc5300) for my laptop and don't want to make the same mistake again. I'll be getting low density as high denisty might not work?????

Thanks again,

Anyway if anyones interested in the other ram, pc5300. (2 x 1gb sticks) just pm me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Firstly I would goto
    http://www.memoryc.com/memory_configurator/index.html
    See if your laptops make and model is listed there and check whats compatible with it,hell you could buy it directly from them or once you know what your laptop takes you can then source the ram elsewhere yourself if you need too.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Pc3200 it's ddr,pc 5300 it's ddr2-it's other type of ram i think it doesnt work in your laptop,you must change it for ddr type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

majiktripp wrote: »

wow, dell charges 440euro to go from 2gigs of ram to 4gigs, on that site 2gigs is only 58euro :eek:

EDIT: its 70 including VAT but thats still a bargain compared to the dell ram rip-off system

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

In my country 2 gigs cost about 70e it depends (how much mhz)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

wow, dell charges 440euro to go from 2gigs of ram to 4gigs, on that site 2gigs is only 58euro :eek:

EDIT: its 70 including VAT but thats still a bargain compared to the dell ram rip-off system

For a laptop, if you want to go from 2GBs to 4GBs you will need 2 x 2GB sticks and not 4 x 1GB sticks.

• Advertisement

For a laptop, if you want to go from 2GBs to 4GBs you will need 2 x 2GB sticks and not 4 x 1GB sticks.

could you not just stick in 2 more 1GB sticks? so it will be 4 x 1GB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Most laptops only have 2 slots for ram, there for 4 wont go in.

GBX wrote: »
    Most laptops only have 2 slots for ram, there for 4 wont go in.

mine has 4 slots, it already has 2 x 1GB, will it work if i stick in 2 more 1GB's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What laptop do you have? Its extremely unusual to find a laptop with more then 2 slots. I've never seen one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

yes, what make laptop? never seen one with 4 mem slots.

2x2gig memory modules are expensive, but you can save a lot by just avoiding dell and getting them elsewhere, thats if you really need that much memory in the first place.

dell make money from things like this in the same way ryanair charge 20 or 30euros to check in a few bags at the airport (if you did not check them in on line for alot cheaper).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 godsent

mine has 4 slots, it already has 2 x 1GB, will it work if i stick in 2 more 1GB's?

are you serious?..... i've never seen any laptop with 4 memory slots.. :eek:

and btw jumping from 2gb to 4gb won't make too much difference anyway...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

legs11 wrote: »
    yes, what make laptop? never seen one with 4 mem slots.

2x2gig memory modules are expensive, but you can save a lot by just avoiding dell and getting them elsewhere, thats if you really need that much memory in the first place.

You can get them from shop4memory.ie for about €220. I'd also like to know what is the make of the laptop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

<sigh>
    we aren't psychic and don't have ESP - please post the model of laptop.

look at the sticky http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267028 it gives apps that ID the exact ram that is currently working in your laptop.

Advertisement