Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vostro Display problem, please help.........

• 21-10-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi all
    Got a Vostro a week ago, all was working fine. Came home last night, quick check of email and closed the screen. Upon getting up this morning and turning on, nothing. Nothing from the screen at all. Bar a tiny little flicker, which shows me, very,very faintly the AMD logo. From what I can see the laptop loads, ie wifi light comes on, hd active. Tried pluging it into a monitor, but nothing. And of course Dell Business Tech support closed till tomorrow. I've plugged it into the mains and it doesnt make a difference.

Anyone any ideas as I have some big work projects on there and I didnt expect this kinda thing to happen, especially after a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

If you can see the logo faintly, maybe its some sort of backlight problem

If you take the laptop outside or under a strong light can you see anything displayed?

when you plugged it into an external monitor did you press the function keys to switch over to the external monitor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

eolhc wrote: »
    If you can see the logo faintly, maybe its some sort of backlight problem

If you take the laptop outside or under a strong light can you see anything displayed?

when you plugged it into an external monitor did you press the function keys to switch over to the external monitor?

Hi. Actually, looking at it under daylight, it works perfect. Loads up fine. But nothing from the actual back light. I've tried the brightness settings, but they dont make a difference. Any more ideas? Or is the backlight knackered? And why, after such a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

wiseolsham wrote: »
    Hi. Actually, looking at it under daylight, it works perfect. Loads up fine. But nothing from the actual back light. I've tried the brightness settings, but they dont make a difference. Any more ideas? Or is the backlight knackered? And why, after such a short period of time.

maybe the backlight wasn't connected properly when it was put together and its connection worked its way out of its socket when the lid was being opened and closed. Or maybe some part of the backlight was dodgy and failed after a few hours use.

Not a software issue if it doesnt light up when you first turn it on to

Not much you can do except get onto dell and get them to sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

eolhc wrote: »
    maybe the backlight wasn't connected properly when it was put together and its connection worked its way out of its socket when the lid was being opened and closed. Or maybe some part of the backlight was dodgy and failed after a few hours use.

Not a software issue if it doesnt light up when you first turn it on to

Not much you can do except get onto dell and get them to sort it out

After doing the diagnostics, it tells me the LCD Inverter fails. I presume this is the backlight? Whats the normal turn of events in scenarios like this, does anyone know? Will they come out and replace the screen or the actual laptop?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

wiseolsham wrote: »
    After doing the diagnostics, it tells me the LCD Inverter fails. I presume this is the backlight? Whats the normal turn of events in scenarios like this, does anyone know? Will they come out and replace the screen or the actual laptop?

They'll probably just replace the inverter. But since you've only had it a week you could tell them you want a replacement. It means you'll be without a laptop for a while but it's probably for the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement