Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First business site - Anyone care to take a look?

• 17-09-2014 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

This is my first business site. I got interested in Cryptocurrencies November last year, can't believe I didn't buy Bitcoin back then! Hindsight!

Anyway, mining and trading turned into a hobby, which lead to this. The Coin Cave is a platform for selling cryptocurrencies. The ethos is - it takes the complexity out of the process of getting coins, acting like a kind of convenience store with high customer service.

I would be delighted if anyone could have a look at it and point out areas that could be improved. The site is live, and I have been testing it with transactions, but hasn't been marketed yet. This will actually be the first back link.

Well, here she is, be gentle.

(the system told me I can't post URLs because I am a new user, I had to split up the link below)
    www.
    thecoincave
    .com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looks nice on ipad, well done, few small things...

- european union and mayo graphics (in footer) appear behind text on my ipad screen

- menu has "home" twice :)

- either the logo is too small or there's too much space around it, not sure but it feels a little "off", maybe someone else has suggestions here

- i personally know very little about bitcoin etc so maybe have a "what is cryptocurrency?" link somewhere around the top of the screen (i'm aware you have a beginners guide via the menu but it's not obvious that it's there until i click "menu")

Btw apologies for all lower case in this post, ipad keyboard and i'm too lazy to hit shift button ;)

Oh yeah add a "where can i spend cryptocurrency?" link somewhere prominent, perhaps below the "what is cryptocurrency" link

If it were me, i'd want to know exactly why i should want to buy a Quark and not feel i'm losing out compared to buying a bitcoin

Best to have this sort of information linked off the homescreen to lower the bounce rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭KpsCowley

Thank you for the comments mrcheez,

- ''european union and mayo graphics (in footer) appear behind text on my ipad screen'' - thats a funny one, as you said it does pop behind the text at a particular aspect ratio, pity it is that of an ipad :(

- ''menu has "home" twice '' - funny what you dont see when you look to hard, thanks.

- ''either the logo is too small or there's too much space around it, not sure but it feels a little "off", maybe someone else has suggestions here'' - I know what you are saying, I thought this to at first, it is centred but looks off due to being weighted on the RHS by the shopping cart text. It has grown on me since.

- ''what is cryptocurrency? & where can i spend cryptocurrency?'' - I know what you are saying, I thought about this before but decided to leave out to stop lots of cluttery text. Maybe I will drop in some links to other sites. If you click on the coin image itself on the home screen there is a sub page which explains each coin in more depth.

KpsCowley wrote: »
    I thought about this before but decided to leave out to stop lots of cluttery text. Maybe I will drop in some links to other sites. If you click on the coin image itself on the home screen there is a sub page which explains each coin in more depth.

Adding two headings like that shouldn't take up too much space and will probably provide enough info to compel your visitors to explore the site further. Don't link to external sites, keep all the content on your own site. Last thing you want is people going to another site and then deciding to buy from them instead.

The main thing to avoid is people visiting the homepage, then leaving because they don't understand what's going on.

By the sounds of it you want to target people who aren't yet aficionados of bitcoin or similar? In that case you need to make ppl understand the benefits from the start rather than explaining it to them after they randomly click on one of the icons. Keep the sub page info there too as it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No Contact Phone number..
    Registered business number ??

CSS Validation

• Advertisement

No Contact Phone number for now.

See Business number here

www.
    thecoincave
    .com/content
    /3-terms-and-conditions-of-use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Homepage.

I'd try to replace the slider with something more effective. Sliders look a lot better than they actually perform and are hard to use on devices. The link on the first slide doesn't point anywhere.

You could drop the movement onmouseover for the individual currencies where the quick view appears. The quick view modal is kind of redundant, makes other currencies above or below move unexpectedly and the modal is awkward on devices. The coin compare function doesn't seem to do much.

You have 3 links from the header area to the homepage, at least one of these is redundant.

The price on individual currency pages do not match the prices listed on the homepage. The amount does not update when I choose to buy more than one coin. The prices also don't seem to match the current market values.

There isn't enough proper and prominent contact info as already noted. Trust is vital in this type of business so a full address including street address, phone number is required and needs to be prominent, not buried. Same for a RBN. Same for better registrant info in the whois. All of these matters give negative answers when asking can I do business with the required levels of trust. Add customer feedback/success stories/testimonials to that issue too.

There's an awful lot to be done on the SEO front. Some of the default values for descriptions are for prestashop when they should be customised for your business. Titles could be improved, alt attributes need work, semantic heading hierarchy is a mess in parts, to name a few issues.

Some email addresses are not mailtos.

Hi Guys,

I have done a good bit of work on this website, especially a new video navigation menu on the home page.

Would anyone care to have a look? https://www.thecoincave.com/

Any advice?

KpsCowley wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have done a good bit of work on this website, especially a new video navigation menu on the home page.

Would anyone care to have a look? https://www.thecoincave.com/

Any advice?

Looks good on PC browser (I like the information sections).

It messes up a little on the phone browser though...

1) The "BitCoin Explained" etc buttons are images and they squash up as the screen gets smaller... better to keep this text readable. These buttons should also be text rather than images, to help with SEO.

2) The Recent Posts text in the footer gets all squashed on smaller phone screens.

Looking better though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Autoplay on video with sound earns the site and instant close from me.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Autoplay on video with sound earns the site and instant close from me.

yep don't autoplay the videos on the homepage (I didn't have my headphones on when looking at the site originally so would have mentioned this too if I noticed it)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Bit of a problem here.

360084.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nice and clean looking..

The links each side of the video, possibly make the boxes all the same size and then center the text, as is it looks random..

Video didn't auto-play for me which is a big plus.

Advertisement