Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic home use.

• 17-07-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I need to build a basic home use computer, not for games, max for internet, movies, skype, etc.. nothing powerful.
    But I have problem:

In my life I have built many computers, but all of them were gaming powerful, please help me? What cpu and mobo should I go for? and what PSU and especially GPU? I can buy only from Elara.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, I need to build a basic home use computer, not for games, max for internet, movies, skype, etc.. nothing powerful.
    But I have problem:

In my life I have built many computers, but all of them were gaming powerful, please help me? What cpu and mobo should I go for? and what PSU and especially GPU? I can buy only from Elara.ie

No need for a GPU, integrated graphics will do. A solid 350W PSU will work. What's your budget? And why Elara?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

But I have problem:

Elara are pretty pricey, there's much better websites out there. Care to elaborate why only Elara?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Because I found that only they accept Laser card and I can collect stuff next day.
    Budget is 400 Euro (not including PSU and Case)

Because I found that only they accept Laser card and I can collect stuff next day.
    Budget is 400 Euro (not including PSU and Case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Doesn't Komplett accept Laser at the pick up point?

• Advertisement

not sure, but anyways what parts would you suggest? I was thinking around an i3 cpu or so.

not sure, but anyways what parts would you suggest? I was thinking around an i3 cpu or so.

The script I normally use isn't working on Dabs for some reason, but this is what I got for €200 flat:

Celeron G530
    Asrock H61 Motherboard
    DVD RW
    4GB RAM
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD.

Stick on Ubuntu and you're flying.

Eboggles wrote: »
    The script I normally use isn't working on Dabs for some reason, but this is what I got for €200 flat:

Celeron G530
    Asrock H61 Motherboard
    DVD RW
    4GB RAM
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD.

Stick on Ubuntu and you're flying.
    the person who wants this PC wants it to be more or less with newer model CPU, as in i7/i5/i3 seeing how i3 is cheapest is prob what needs.

the person who wants this PC wants it to be more or less with newer model CPU, as in i7/i5/i3 seeing how i3 is cheapest is prob what needs.

The G530 is as new as current gen i3s.

Good for him :rolleyes:.

The Celeron is the same socket... It came out in September...

• Advertisement

Good for him :rolleyes:.

The Celeron is the same socket... It came out in September...

Can I buy some weak GPU? because their resolution is bigger than 1920x1080 (cant remember what it is, ) quite huge and they are watching HD movies all the time. I don't think onboard video card might handle that well.

Can I buy some weak GPU? because their resolution is bigger than 1920x1080 (cant remember what it is, ) quite huge and they are watching HD movies all the time. I don't think onboard video card might handle that well.

Get a HD6450. They're about €35

So Intel Celeron G530 is pretty much as fast as i3 540?

So Intel Celeron G530 is pretty much as fast as i3 540?

In what? For "internet and Skype"? There'd be no difference. The only difference is the price, and the G530 wins in that category. Of course if the person were to be doing some actual video editing (that's not Windows Movie Maker) there would be a difference.

Why do you use the i3 540? That's an old socket.

If you really want an i3, get an i3-2125. It has HD3000 graphics so you won't need a discrete card.

Well person said just skype, internet, watching movies online, watching HD videos on huge res, and photos, that's it pretty much..
    Very hard to build for me as I only did performance models before, now I want it as cheap as possible but good enough to run stuff they want.

4a279e95.png

Would these be ok? I didn't start saving money on RAM, I will let it be 8 gb, as there is no big price difference really.
    I thought I might get them an SSD which will make a lot of performance difference (got SSD myself) windows loads in like 10 seconds.

4a279e95.png

Would these be ok? I didn't start saving money on RAM, I will let it be 8 gb, as there is no big price difference really.
    I thought I might get them an SSD which will make a lot of performance difference (got SSD myself) windows loads in like 10 seconds.

Definitely get an SSD, they're great :D.

Will 550W handle that stuff?

Will 550W handle that stuff?

I wouldn't actually use a 550 watt, It'd be way too inefficient. Try and get a good 250 watt or something. Or if you want to upgrade get a 350 watt.

Most people get way too high power supplies.

550W is too much there. I'd say 350w (Antec Basiq springs to mind) would be perfect.

• Advertisement

It should do, pretty sure the box version is the retail version. Not a particularly good cooler but it will easily do the job.

It should do, pretty sure the box version is the retail version. Not a particularly good cooler but it will easily do the job.

oh alright, order placed and paid. Hopefully I can collect it tomorrow.

oh alright, order placed and paid. Hopefully I can collect it tomorrow.

I didn't think it was next day collection, is not not 2-3 days?

I didn't think it was next day collection, is not not 2-3 days?

on elara it's 1-2 days, I ordered today and it said it will be tomorrow, had 9 minutes left, looks like it's all orders placed till 3 PM will be next day

on elara it's 1-2 days, I ordered today and it said it will be tomorrow, had 9 minutes left, looks like it's all orders placed till 3 PM will be next day

Nice!

Advertisement