Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Sports Thread (NBA, NCAA, MBL, NHL, NFL, etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Terrible? The places I'm reading must be bigging them up too much then, or just going by the stats. Have you seen them this year?

I've done the +7 and a small stake on the overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

They got beat by a poor Wake Forest team and let Liberty (non ranked team) make a game of it. Gave up 3 touchdowns to them and won in a close game. I seen highlights of the Liberty game and watched most of the WF one. They are capable of putting up points but they will leak them quite easily. Of course these Thursday night games throw up many a surprise so you could well be on to a winner with the +7. I wouldn't be confident enough myself to touch it. Sure if you're watching the game you can always see how it goes and maybe lay it off if needs be.

Oh yeah sorry just reread what i wrote. I meant terrible as in terrible defense in my first post. I hate taking teams with crap D's for that little point spread.

I don't think NC plan on running the ball at all in this game! >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haven't bet but like NC to beat the spread

And that was a beautiful punt right there

• Advertisement

Hope ya didn't take it yet Mikemac. You'll probably get them +14.5 in play when betting comes back.

Nope, didn't bet on this one

Just up watching the game and saw the thread so posted my pick :)

I'll have a few bets for the college games for this weekend

Cincy on their way to a cricket score.

I wouldn't worry bout cricket type score just yet. Cincy D will give up points. NC State just seem a bit too cautious so far.

Mike Glennon is getting great protection and time back there, should be doing better

Though there are a few times Cincy just rushes three and floods the field with defensive backs.

Away to bed for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭stingerro

Not really a US sports, but - I backed Collingwood -23.5 to win against Hawthorn in AFL. Game starts in 2 hours. Would like to write more about this game... but I am clueless about Australian Football and I'm only doing it, because this guy went for it - http://www.sport-insight.com/userAE.php?userID=100318&lookup=1&returnPage=users.php

Georgia Tech just about beat the spread, that was a close one!

As for Notre Dame, this game has been horrendous.

Have GT in a double. Glad i bought down half a point. Was -7 when i took it. Would've been a push but a win is better to keep the double alive.

It was ND's defense that won that for them. Looks like there's still a lot to figure out on offense for them. Easy enough schedule right up to Stanford for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

My picks today:

6pm
    Saints -4 vs. Texans
    Panthers -3 vs. Jags
    Lions -3 @ Vikings

9pm
    Jets -3 @ Raiders
    Seahawks +3 vs. Cardinals

Like the Jets -3 play. Might buy down to -2.5. Any reason why you fancy the Seahawks to keep it within 3 against the Cardinals? Seems like a coin flip kinda game although going by the figures and the 2 games so far Seattle look like they could struggle to score. Not breaking the 150 yard passing barrier a game, Less than 50 yards rushing a game, 10 sacks against, 25% success on 3rd down and less than 50% scoring in the red zone. Good luck anyways. Seattle can be a difficult stadium to play in.

Like the Jets -3 play. Might buy down to -2.5. Any reason why you fancy the Seahawks to keep it within 3 against the Cardinals? Seems like a coin flip kinda game although going by the figures and the 2 games so far Seattle look like they could struggle to score. Not breaking the 150 yard passing barrier a game, Less than 50 yards rushing a game, 10 sacks against, 25% success on 3rd down and less than 50% scoring in the red zone. Good luck anyways. Seattle can be a difficult stadium to play in.

This. An avoid for me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Seattle pull a game together and get the win.

Don't know about the Jets either to be honest, can see Oakland getting an upset.

Oakland is McFadden. Shut him down and the Raiders will get frustrated. Jets are only allowing 88 yards a game on the ground. Despite it only being 2 games we all know the Jets are a defensive team for the past few years. Good secondary and good rush defense. Just think the Raiders will find it difficult to score against them if McFadden is contained. They're also in the bottom third for allowing both passing and rushing yards against. As the Jets have become more of a passing team this year and Sanchez is growing in confidence i think the Jets will dog the low point scoring stigma they've carried. 59 points in 2 games isn't too bad for them. They're currently ranked 7th in scoring points this season.

Jets missing Nick Mangold, a key loss

I like Oakland to win
    I also like Miami to beat the spread against the Browns. Miami are better on the road and despite their losses have not looked bad imo in Week one or two. Browns are decent also but they don't deserve to be favorites

That's my weekend double

I hate the matchup of Cardinals in Seattle. Not going near that game, could go either way.

I also don't like Lions and Vikings. You'd think the Lions would be favourites and they are but I see a desperate Vikings putting in a performance. Avoiding

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Like the Jets -3 play. Might buy down to -2.5. Any reason why you fancy the Seahawks to keep it within 3 against the Cardinals?

More of a play against the Cardinals, lucky to win week 1 at home against the Panthers, and should've been hammered last week (Redskins dominated the game, 28 first-downs to 16). So could be 0-2 and they're a 3-point favourites on the road.

Not that I really like the Seahawks but they've had tougher games, two road games, one against Pittsburgh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Can't find any Dwayne Bowe markets, but if anyone is able to it's worth noting the Chargers have kept him under 13 yards in their last three meetings.

In foul mood today, so trying to cheer myself up with some nonsense accumulators.

Chargers -14
    Lions -3
    Saints -3.5

Jets -2.5
    Packers -4
    Steelers -10.5

Pettigrew anytime
    Finley anytime
    Graham anytime

Newton anytime
    Moore anytime
    Gronkowski anytime

Newton to score first TD, Panthers to win by 13-18 points :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

NY Jets -2.5
    DET Lions -3
    SD Chargers -9.5

€50 @ 4/1

All spreads:

NO and Philly
    Carolina, Lions and Cincy
    Patriots and Titans

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Packers and Chargers spread @ 2/1

Lions letting the side down here, but I'm keeping faith. Vikings have let go of leads already this season. Come on Stafford!

Carolina game could get messy, pissing down rain.

Allen is beasting...not looking good for us Lions backers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Jets @ Oakland (under 40.5 points) 10/11 - looks a good bet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Took Eagles -3.5 a while back, anybody watching it? how are they looking?

Come on Lions! Turnover here would be nice

Beanie Wells is out today. As is RB2 Stephens-Howling. Chester Taylor takes over running responsibilities. He's 4/1 for anytime TD. Could be worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Took Eagles -3.5 a while back, anybody watching it? how are they looking?

Awful. Vicks off with a broken hand. 6 down at the mo

Advertisement