Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFO Phenomenon - Any real scientific material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

i remove my place from this thread for reasons only i know....
    best of luck..people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

jonbravo wrote: »
    i remove my place from this thread for reasons only i know....
    best of luck..people

How mysterious. Is it not possible to stop contributing to a thread without having to announce the fact? If everyone who stopped contributing to threads to which they had contributed did that, what an odd place this would be! Your "for reasons only i know" is also mysterious and superfluous, and perhaps you like to be a little mysterious..... It's all a bit drama queen tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

I drank tea instead of coffee this morning...for reasons that only I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Thunderdrive

I have posted in this thread at this particular point...for reasons only I know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

• Advertisement

murrayp4 wrote: »

Are you able t tell us what you found interesting, or do you just hope everyone will follow the link? personally, if a poster can't be bothered to take a couple of minutes to say why he found something interesting, i can't be bothered to spend my time wading through links to see if I can guess why the poster found it interesting!

easychair wrote: »
    Are you able t tell us what you found interesting, or do you just hope everyone will follow the link? personally, if a poster can't be bothered to take a couple of minutes to say why he found something interesting, i can't be bothered to spend my time wading through links to see if I can guess why the poster found it interesting!
    Don't bother then.
    And why waste your precious time informing us all that you're not going click on the BBC link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I went to the link and found it very interesting. I was going to post this earlier but the other reply put me in an odd mood!

Don't bother then.
    And why waste your precious time informing us all that you're not going click on the BBC link...

I guess that's a "no" then, and what you found interesting must remain a mystery.

Latest MoD files available here: http://ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

It's notable that UFO's have only been around since the advent of aeroplanes.

If there really is such a thing as UFO's, they would have been around for centuries. Curious that.

I myself am a skeptic and find it highly unlikely if impossible that aliens are visiting Earth but Alexander the Great was attacked by flying machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

EKClarke wrote: »
    I myself am a skeptic and find it highly unlikely if impossible that aliens are visiting Earth but Alexander the Great was attacked by flying machines.
    Got any links to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

It's notable that UFO's have only been around since the advent of aeroplanes.

If there really is such a thing as UFO's, they would have been around for centuries. Curious that.

Actually before that there were crosses seen in the sky. in fact as people/ technology changed the things that people saw changed

ANSI wrote: »
    Actually before that there were crosses seen in the sky. in fact as people/ technology changed the things that people saw changed

What do you think the crosses might have been?

X's on their sides of course.

What do you think the crosses might have been?
    no idea just mentioned that seeing things is not new and what is seen has changed as mankind has developed.

maninasia wrote: »
    X's on their sides of course.
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

Really and truly believe that there is some sort of "life" out there. There are too many; stars, planets,universes etc for there not to be. But I believe that they are not visiting and never have for the following reasons:

There is an imaging capturing device in most homes around the world. Footage has been obtained of people getting hit by lightening and other one in a million events. Yet nobody has come forward with clear unambigious and genuine footage of a UFO. Anyone?

How is it that these "craft" have travelled from light distances away, with the corresponding technology to do it, avoiding all the obstacles in its path, to then crash as soon as they reach earth. Anyone?

Why would aliens build the likes of pyramids out of stone, or why even build pyramids?
    If they had advanced technology, would they not build with new materials? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Petca4 wrote: »

How is it that these "craft" have travelled from light distances away, with the corresponding technology to do it, avoiding all the obstacles in its path, to then crash as soon as they reach earth. Anyone?
    They were talking about something like this on QI the other night, it was on Dave, so probably a year old at this point, but anyway. They were talking about the lines in the desert in South America and mentioned that some people think they were landing strips for alien spaceships, and Stephen Fry asked why a spaceship, capable of travelling many light years and navigating the universe, would need some lines scratched on the ground in order to land. Which I think is a good point. I've always wondered why aliens would travel hundreds of light years, a journey which must take generations, unless they've invented some kind of FTL technology, in order to probe some hillbillys rather than to, say, check in with our scientist and see how advanced we are.

Similarly crop circles; some people think they're messages from aliens. Well, if an alien species was intelligent enough to build a ship that could traverse many light years why wouldn't they leave us messages in an Earth language rather than one they know we won't be able to translate? I can just imagine it:

Alien 1: OK, we've reached 'Earth', and it is imperetive that we deliver this message in a way we can be sure will reach, and be understood by, all the humans on this planet. We'd best go talk to one of their leaders.
    Alien 2: I dunno, Zurgox. Maybe we should, like, flatten their crops instead, they'll take notice of that.
    1: Their crops?
    2: Yeah, having their food supply crushed will get their attention.
    1: More than if we land on the lawn of this 'White House' of theirs?
    2: Totally. All eyes will be on the disruption of the food supply!!
    1: Well, I dunno... Get out the Quorgaxian/Human dictionary so we can communicate a succinct message about the danger they face, at least.
    2: Was I supposed to bring that? I thought you were looking after that.
    1: Great! 400 light years to deliver an urgent message to the humans about their impending doom and no-one thought to bring a dictionary! We definitely can't talk to any Earthian leaders now, we'll look like idiots! Feck it, Quorgaxian writing in a wheat field it is!

Because, from Ireland, the Republic bit, access might be denied!

• Advertisement

South American lines in the desert are prayer paths worn by people seeing their lucious paradise dying and becoming an infertile desert as they went through climate change.

That civilisation is believed to have gone extinct.

Really and truly believe that there is some sort of "life" out there. There are too many; stars, planets,universes etc for there not to be. But I believe that they are not visiting and never have for the following reasons:

There is an imaging capturing device in most homes around the world. Footage has been obtained of people getting hit by lightening and other one in a million events. Yet nobody has come forward with clear unambigious and genuine footage of a UFO. Anyone?

Why would aliens build the likes of pyramids out of stone, or why even build pyramids?
    If they had advanced technology, would they not build with new materials? Anyone?

So bacteria didn't exist before the invention of microscopes. Is that your point?
    Who says they crash? Everybody?
    Who says that all UFOs are aliens? Everybody?
    Who says that the pyramids were built by aliens? Everybody?
    Who says they wouldn't build with new materials? Who says the craft have anybody or anything in them? Everybody?

It's notable that UFO's have only been around since the advent of aeroplanes. t.

Not so, the Romans constantly referred to them and we have 10,000 year old wall paintings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I dont really believe anything that i havent seen with my own eyes but i saw a documentry a few months ago called " i know what i saw" he didnt go interviewing skrewed up farmers ' or druged up scum bags. I highly recommend anyone watch that documentry, im not gona put a link up, go find it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Prometheus

One more item re below, again if we are to believe that these craft have highly advanced propulsion systems; navigation systems, structural systems etc etc.....

WHAT DO THEY NEED LIGHTS FOR!

WHAT DO THEY NEED LIGHTS FOR!

To see?

I often use the analogy of the Pacific Polynesian tribes who circumnavigated the Pacific islands with no modern tools and often beat modern explorers to other islands using no more than man powered canoe outriggers.

Cpt. Bligh [of the mutiny fame] was hailed a master seaman having done a similar feat that these natives, or savages had been doing for centuries already.

If an alien race was born in space it would probably only know about space flight and terrestrial exploration could very well be as alien to them as the early European explorers investigating the Pacific by sailing boat.

Just a thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dont really believe anything that i havent seen with my own eyes but i saw a documentry a few months ago called " i know what i saw" he didnt go interviewing skrewed up farmers ' or druged up scum bags. I highly recommend anyone watch that documentry, im not gona put a link up, go find it yourself

In fairness I dont yet believe that aliens are visiting us but Im fairly sure airline and military pilots report them aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I would say the majority of alleged UFO sightings, are experimental military type craft etc. The simplest explanation is usually always the likely one & all that.

I do believe in life elsewhere, but I don't think we're being visited by other life forms.

The majority of UFO sightings would be of regular aircraft which are mistakenly unidentified due to unfamiliarity, viewing angles, people's own misconceptions, distance etc.

Only a small portion would be unknown experimental aircraft. Beyond that who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

maninasia wrote: »
    The majority of UFO sightings would be of regular aircraft which are mistakenly unidentified due to unfamiliarity, viewing angles, people's own misconceptions, distance etc.

Only a small portion would be unknown experimental aircraft. Beyond that who knows.

Yeah when I said 'majority', I meant something different than the average 'Oh look a light in the sky its a UFO!' type cases.

Advertisement