Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need info on Hip-Hop in 2007...

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I think we will get it soon enough.Body Baby is getting some love on the TV so it needs to come out soon to take some advantage out of that. Only a month or so away I think.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yeah it was only a month away when i preordered it back in November :D

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

'desire' is pretty excellent. Definitely the album of 07 so far imo

glad to hear it...should be arriving within the next two weeks.....about bloody time!!!!

After a fairly ****e first half of the year, things are getting better. Some of the new albums from this month that are worth getting, plus some links...

Eardrum - Talib Kweli

Listen!!! video

Hot Thing/In The Mood

Underground Kingz - UGK

International Players Anthem video

Rap Music - Brother Reade

Like Duh video

Rise Up - Zeph & Azeem

Craft of the Lost Art - Shape of Broad Minds

Changes video

Dr No's Experiment - Oh No

Break Glass - Polyrhythm Addicts

Extra Credit - Theory Hazit

Emit Gninrut video

The Offering - Killah Priest

Emergency Powers - Super Chron Flight Brothers

Copperpot - Wyla

Eardum is solid but a little unspectacular, maybe repeated listening will change my mind.The Zeph & Azeem and Shape of Broad Minds albums are essential imo, but every one of the above albums are good.

As well, Panacea are dropping their second album The Scenic Route at the start of the next month, and if its as good as their overlooked debut then its going to be one of the albums of the year.

Starlite video, from Ink Is My Drink

Plus Cunninlynguists are dropping a new album called Dirty Acres in November.

The following isn't Hip-Hop, but some English rap and from two of the better albums of the year. Kala particurly kicks ass though...

This Is The Girl - Kano ft. Craig David

Jimmy - M.I.A.

Boyz - M.I.A.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Beefeater

have to check out Panacea, must say im impressed with Starlite.
    For some reason, i'm not interested in looking into Eardrum at the moment. Can you give a deeper input on it? Hear he hinted big time on a new Blackstar album?
    The Killah Priest album is actually called The Offering, supposed to be good. The 4 Horsemen song is dissapointing though.
    Dirty Acres should be class as usual, they should portray a real image of America.
    Immortal Technique's album will hopefully drop. Saw an interview with him, he's busy with other things outside music which he feels important, so thats cool.
    That EMC album should be out sometime soon.
    Jeru is supposed to be releasing Still Rising October 16th.
    Atmosphere-When Life Gives You Lemons
    Little Brother-The Getback

Has anyone heard of Hezekiah, he's got a nice song with Bilal on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=teGpxtMIJ_o

I meant to say I was present at Rock the Bells in New York actually. I somehow managed to miss Immortal Tech, Jedi Mind Tricks, Lif, Cage, Sage Francis, Brother Ali. Was class though.

For some reason, i'm not interested in looking into Eardrum at the moment. Can you give a deeper input on it? Hear he hinted big time on a new Blackstar album?

Yeah its a little disapointing. My main gripe is with the production, which seems to try and emulate Hi-Tek's stuff on RE but comes across as to safe and predictable. There aren't any terrible tracks on it, but nothing thats spectacular either.Solid, average, consistent etc, you get the point. Apparently he has said he will do another Blackstar album, it was on Hip-HopDX a while back.

I'm looking forward to the Atmosphere, LB, Immortal Technique (assuming it comes out) and EMC albums. Median is supposed to be dropping something next month as well plus the new Galactic has been getting decent reviews. Other then that, I again strongly suggest the Zeph & Azeem and Shape of Broad Minds albums to anybody, plus Polyrhthym Addicts album has the kind of straightforward Hip-Hop that I know people on this forum like.

About Hezekiah, he dropped an album two years ago which I never got round to listening to, and is dropping I Predict A Riot this month.Haven't seen any reviews yet, but being on Rawkus is usually a sign of quality.

Plus two more videos from British rappers which I like. Both are supposed to be dropping albums soon...

Bit By Bit - Akala

So Many Roads - Example

I'm really feeling Theory Hazit's Extra Credit as well, can see it being a top ten Hip-Hop album of the year. Its got the kinda energy MC and production wise that was almost completely absent in the Monch and Talib albums and that only a young hungry artist can bring. Definetly one of the best Hip-Hop artists to debut this year.

My only gripe, as one of those anti-social scumbag atheists, is with the pro-Christian lyrics throughout. Its not a problem with Theory Hazit, who writes in a particurly thoughtful and humble style, but 'Lesson In Power' and 'Decisions' are ruined by his arrogant/moronic guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hey, I'm not a huge hip-hop fan and don't have much of a knowledge regarding it but has anything been released this year in the same vein (pun intended) as Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein?

Hey, I'm not a huge hip-hop fan and don't have much of a knowledge regarding it but has anything been released this year in the same vein (pun intended) as Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein?

I actually haven't listened to that album but weren't EL-P and Aesop's Rock labelmates of Cannibal Ox's? I suggest you check out EL-P's I'll Sleep When You're Dead(fantastic album) and Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass(supposed to be good) then.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Def Jux isn't it? Highly recommended though, and thanks for the recommendation, I have El-p's Fantastic Damage, quality...I think with his latest I was just put off by the associations with Trent Reznor...I'll check it out though...

PS Am I the only one who find Desire by Monch and Be by Common to be very average? Recommend me some Common, I don't see what the fuss is about...

If you want some good Common, Resurrection & Like Water For Chocolate are probably his best. The new El-P album is definitely worth buying. Aesop Rock also released Fast Cars, Danger, Fire And Knives, which is short but you'll probably enjoy it.

Also maybe check out some Edan and Mr Lif

Yeah, Def Jux isn't it? Highly recommended though, and thanks for the recommendation, I have El-p's Fantastic Damage, quality...I think with his latest I was just put off by the associations with Trent Reznor...I'll check it out though...

PS Am I the only one who find Desire by Monch and Be by Common to be very average? Recommend me some Common, I don't see what the fuss is about...

I thought Flyentology, the track with Trent, was quite good, although it took me a few listens to appreciate it.Anyway the whole album is rather excellent imo.Edan's a good suggestion as well.

Both Desire and Be are rather average albums, and Common's latest is not a whole lot better. Like Water For Chocolate and Resurrection are Common's two classics, but his music bares no resemblance to the Def Juz style of Hip-Hop.

If you want some good Common, Resurrection & Like Water For Chocolate are probably his best. The new El-P album is definitely worth buying. Aesop Rock also released Fast Cars, Danger, Fire And Knives, which is short but you'll probably enjoy it.

Also maybe check out some Edan and Mr Lif

On Lif, he guests on Galactic's From The Corner To The Block alongside Lyrics Born, Chali 2na and Boots Riley. Kickass and very funky album, seems exactly like the kind of thing you would like.

Orizio wrote:
    I thought Flyentology, the track with Trent, was quite good, although it took me a few listens to appreciate it.Anyway the whole album is rather excellent imo.Edan's a good suggestion as well.

Both Desire and Be are rather average albums, and Common's latest is not a whole lot better. Like Water For Chocolate and Resurrection are Common's two classics, but his music bares no resemblance to the Def Juz style of Hip-Hop.

Cool, I'm not solely into DefJux stuff though, probably more on the old school side tbh, Erik B and Rakim, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Tribe, De la Soul etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

the new army of the pharaohs album is very good btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yep, best album I've heard in a while.

Basically listening to...

Underground Kingz - UGK
    What We Made - Example
    Graduation - Kanye West
    Below The Heavens - Blu & Exile

They are all well worth getting, production in every album is excellent imo. Example has a nice tongue in cheek style thats pretty hilarious, and Kanye's production once again is miles ahead of most Hip-Hop producers.The track Take Tha Hood Back is worth the retail price of the newest UGK album alone.

Hell RAZAH's about to drop his second album this year, called Razah's Ladder.

Its a lot better then the messy and disapointing Renaissance Child, production is more soulful and laidback just like the last Sunz of Man album.Check it out.

Come on, someone out there has to have listened to a new album this year?

There has been a lot of good **** released over the last few months, but Y Society's Travel At Your Own Pace probably tops the list. Very Edan esque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

On the Arm by Dub Sonata - young NY producer who has lots of guest rappers on his album. Track 10 is one of the best tunes I've heard this year.

Listening to that Dub Sonata album right now. Riot Gear is pretty cool, interesting lyrics. Car bombs weren't invented in Ireland though.;)

Little Brother's Getback is a little better then I first thought. Production is tight throughout and Phonte comes up with some brilliant verses. Lacking some standout tracks and its way too short however.

MC Esoteric's Egoclapper and Army of the Pharoahs Ritual of Battle are both pretty excellent. Are there two better MC's then Vinnie Paz and Celph Titled out right now?

The new Cunninlynguists is going to be the album of the year again btw. No suprise really.

Checked out El-p's latest...only gave it a few listens but it's a bit pedestrian in comparison to Fantastic Damage imo...been listening to Company Flow's Funcrusher Plus, amazing album...

Advertisement