Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is RTE 2 HD Coming To Sky?

• 02-03-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

As the title says, is RTE 2 HD coming to Sky, I've heard that it is on the 9th of April. Anyone hear anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

AFAIK its exclusive to upc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

200motels wrote: »
    I've heard that it is on the 9th of April

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

barrackali wrote: »

Hardly when it is available FTA on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

barrackali wrote: »

I didn't read that t was exclusive but it did say in Wikipedia that it's coming to UPC on the 9th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Did UPC not announce this week that they got an exclusive deal on "pay tv" platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Did UPC not announce this week that they got an exclusive deal on "pay tv" platform.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/25954-upc-in-exclusive-deal-with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

givecredit wrote: »

What!? How can they possibly get an exclusive deal with a national broadcaster??:confused:

givecredit wrote: »

How can a channel be exclusive to UPC if everybody can get it for free with the right equipment.
    mad muffin wrote: »
    What!? How can they possibly get an exclusive deal with a national broadcaster??:confused:

It is outrageous if this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Source?
    It's not a reliable source but I saw it on twitter. Since I started the post, I rang Sky and they don't know anything about it, or should I rephrase that, the guy I was speaking to hadn't a clue what he was talking about.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

They can't and none of the quotes seem to have them saying it. It looks like purely a lazy headline, it takes much longer to be added to sky epg, up to a couple of months. As they have a strict queue system, although a number of those channels wouldn't appear to meet sky's minimum requirements so they may not all appear on sky. Details on sky requirements and queue are public:

http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/20c24d2e1c62406594e1a79de5f917db/Allocating_listings_EPG

I'd imagine if the channels appear on UPC in April, some or all of them will appear on sky a month or two later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

copacetic wrote: »
    They can't and none of the quotes seem to have them saying it. It looks like purely a lazy headline, it takes much longer to be added to sky epg, up to a couple of months. As they have a strict queue system, although a number of those channels wouldn't appear to meet sky's minimum requirements so they may not all appear on sky. Details on sky requirements and queue are public:

http://corporate.sky.com/documents/pdf/20c24d2e1c62406594e1a79de5f917db/Allocating_listings_EPG

I'd imagine if the channels appear on UPC in April, some or all of them will appear on sky a month or two later.

does rte2 HD even meet the minimum requirements for broadcasting HD content on sky?
    in the case of other channels, comply with any one (or more) of the options
    below:
    - the channel may consist of no less than 75% native HD
    programmes provided that it also includes an amount of
    native HD programmes that alone meets (without any
    contribution from any non-native HD programmes) the
    minimum number of hours of non-repeating programming
    required to be broadcast under section 1.1; or
    - the channel may include no less than 320 hours of nonrepeating native HD programmes in each 12 month period
    provided that the channel includes no less than 70 hours of
    non-repeating native HD programmes in each 3 month
    period; or
    - the channel may include no less than 500 hours of native HD
    content in each 3 month period (which may include repeated
    native HD content provided that the channel has a minimum
    of no less than 40 hours of non-repeating native HD
    programmes each calendar month).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

irishgeo wrote: »
    does rte2 HD even meet the minimum requirements for broadcasting HD content on sky?

320 hours a year is less than an hour a day. It would easily meet that I'd say? There was 7 hours or so last weekend for the rugby alone, the Olympics and European champs will have probably 320 hours on their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Could it be down to who pays carriage and distribution costs or epg position?

UPC said in a Dept of Comms consultation in late 2010 it would be willing to carry the additional Saorview channels under the same terms as the existing 4channels, maybe Sky are not?
    UPC’s cable and mmds platforms are currently subject to must carry obligations. At
    present these obligations apply to RTÉ One, RTÉ Two, TV3 and TG4. The provisions
    are also applicable to community channels and UPC presently carries both the Dublin
    and Cork community channels. In the past UPC has been both supportive and willing
    to have these channels included (at no cost to the channels themselves) in its basic TV
    packages. UPC would expect that given RTÉ’s new services will be funded with state
    finances these too will fall under the must carry provisions. In this regard, UPC would
    expect that the current financial arrangements for must carry services would continue
    for RTÉ’s proposed services; namely both RTÉ and UPC bear their own associated
    costs for the production and onward distribution of these services.

UPC
    Sky would expect that FRND terms in this
    instance would mean that these new services would be made available to Sky’s
    digital satellite platform on terms that were equivalent to those on which the same
    services are provided to RTE’s proposed ‘Saorsat’ service, in order to avoid any
    unnecessary and disproportionate distortion of competition.

Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

200motels wrote: »
    As the title says, is RTE 2 HD coming to Sky, I've heard that it is on the 9th of April. Anyone hear anything?

Hopefully, no. But if the state broadcaster is good at anything, it's selling out to foreign broadcasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

mickko wrote: »
    Hopefully, no. But if the state broadcaster is good at anything, it's selling out to foreign broadcasters.

Im sick of responses of this type. The majority of pay tv subscribers in Ireland are with Sky. Besides we live in the EU and if RTE were to only make these channels available to Irish companies then that would be against the Freedom to provide services.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mickko

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im sick of responses of this type. The majority of pay tv subscribers in Ireland are with Sky. Besides we live in the EU and if RTE were to only make these channels available to Irish companies then that would be against the Freedom to provide services.

The majority of pay TV subscribers in Ireland are with Sky because RTE is available in digital, on the Sky platform.
    Sky had very modest subscriber figures in Ireland prior to RTE's launch, and their subs rocketed from 2003 onwards.

For the state to hand the PSB's services to a foreign pay tv platform, allowing them to encrypt them, and make the license fee paying Irish citizens pay for them, beggers belief.

Futhermore, they've allowed Sky to operate unregulated, ripping of Irish subs in comparison to UK subs for the same packs, paying nothing to the Irish exchequer, and pumping hundreds of millions annually out of this country for nearly a decade now.

This is just one example of bad decisions made at government level that are helping to destroy this country.

The state public service is not there to be sold out to any companies for their own financial gain, be they Irish, or anywhere else in the EU. They should be there to be made available, free, on as many platforms as possible, to ensure the Irish public can use them.

Hopefully, RTE's HD content will be kept that way, and help loosen Sky's grasp, but I doubt it.

Please give me another example of an EU country that deploys their Public Service Broadcaster in this manner.

The majority of pay TV subscribers in Ireland are with Sky because RTE is available in digital, on the Sky platform.
    Sky had very modest subscriber figures in Ireland prior to RTE's launch, and their subs rocketed from 2003 onwards.

For the state to hand the PSB's services to a foreign pay tv platform, allowing them to encrypt them, and make the license fee paying Irish citizens pay for them, beggers belief.

Futhermore, they've allowed Sky to operate unregulated, ripping of Irish subs in comparison to UK subs for the same packs, paying nothing to the Irish exchequer, and pumping hundreds of millions annually out of this country for nearly a decade now.

This is just one example of bad decisions made at government level that are helping to destroy this country.

The state public service is not there to be sold out to any companies for their own financial gain, be they Irish, or anywhere else in the EU. They should be there to be made available, free, on as many platforms as possible, to ensure the Irish public can use them.

Hopefully, RTE's HD content will be kept that way, and help loosen Sky's grasp, but I doubt it.

Please give me another example of an EU country that deploys their Public Service Broadcaster in this manner.

Arent all the BBC channels available in Ireland on Freeview for free? :rolleyes:

(and we obviously dont pay a UK TV license fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Arent all the BBC channels available in Ireland on Freeview for free? :rolleyes:

(and we obviously dont pay a UK TV license fee)

BBC viewers don't have to pay sky to watch their PSB.

BBC viewers don't have to pay sky to watch their PSB.

Im sure once Saorsat is launched in Ireland RTE will be on sky and will be viewable without a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Im sure once Saorsat is launched in Ireland RTE will be on sky and will be viewable without a card.

Like it is at present? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Like it is at present? :rolleyes:

What do you mean "Life it is at present"?
    You cant watch RTE on sky if you do not have a subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

well according to Skys latest tv add "all the terresterial channels" are available without subscription.....which is not true via sky anyways.no point in reporting them to the BAI for this as they arent regulated in ireland as others point out. I wonder would the ASAI even bother taking a complaint seriously on this advert?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

You think UPC are Irish? Bless.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    You think UPC are Irish? Bless.

lol yeah. Isnt UPC a Dutch company owned by an American Company.
    Sky is probably more "Irish" than UPC. At least Sky is European Owned

EDIT: Yup. Liberty Global (USA) is the Parent of UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

VAT Collected does stay in Ireland though I believe unlike Sky

I didnt have time earlier to respond to this post so im doing it now.

BS. 4 channels did not warrant everyone moving to Sky. Everyone moved to Sky because they were the best Digital TV provider at the time (and IMO still are). They were the only people to be offering a full 7 day EPG built into the TV.
    If they made Sky pay for them, then sky would charge its customers more. These are the customers who already pay for the RTE service through their license fee. It would be totally different if RTE was given to Sky to air in the UK for free (which it doesnt, apart from Northern Ireland, but we get BBC in return)
    The debate on UK v Irish pricing has been done to death. The higher Vat rates added with the Irish call centers and the cost of operating in Ireland justify the higher cost (which isnt all that much to be honest). Given the fact the UK has a much larger population, TV can be sold cheaper. Its the exact same with mobile phone rates. THe larger the market the lower the cost to provide the service.

All it is is providing RTE channels to people who have already paid for them via the license fee. If RTE wasnt available on UPC or Sky then you would see A LOT of people protesting the license fee. The more platforms RTE is available on the better. More viewers = More revenue for RTE.
    I agree with you here. But that is not what is happening with RTE at the moment. Its understandable that RTE HD was kept on saorview at the beginning. It was to promote saorview. However i bet RTE HD will be on Sky not too long after it has been on UPC.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That's exactly the situation. UPC started in Holland as a US-Dutch joint venture (United-Phillips Cable, between United International Holdings (a precursor of LibertyGlobal) and Royal Phillips Electronics), Now its wholly owned by LibertyGlobal which is itself controlled by John C. Malone.

Sky is only slightly ahead of UPC at the last count, by about 70,000 subscribers (600,000 for Sky v 530,000 or so for UPC) although this is a massive reversal over the course of a decade - Chorus and NTL were ahead of Sky by the order of several times about ten years ago. And if you went back a few years before that, to the analogue era, Sky's DTH numbers were tiny - literally the only people subscribing to Sky in 1990s Ireland were those living in one-off rural houses who had no chance of ever getting cable/MMDS and for whom Sky was the only option for multichannel TV.

My own view is that RTÉ as the public service broadcaster should be platform natural and offer their channels to all platforms. The one thing I would say at present is that the extra RTÉ services are nothing to write home about - RTÉjr is the RTÉ Two block and then the same repeated again, RTÉ One+1 is what it says on the tin (and even then, with some gaps) and only airs from 7pm anyway. RTÉ News Now, well you can get that on the internet if you've broadband.

campo wrote: »

VAT Collected does stay in Ireland though I believe unlike Sky

Sky Ireland Ltd is an Irish registered company so all Irish sky customers pay Irish vat. Why would you think we would be paying uk vat when the service is bought and supplied in Ireland. It's like saying mcdonalds charge the American vat rate because they're an American company

well according to Skys latest tv add "all the terresterial channels" are available without subscription

I saw that ad alright. Blatant bull**** is what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ok i have actually filled in the online ASAI complaint form about this advert.... lets see what happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement